Windows 10: Restart needed to apply changes

Discus and support Restart needed to apply changes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Upgraded to Windows 10 six days ago. All worked normally until today, when the message appears at start-up that a re-start is required for changes to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WayUpNorth, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Restart needed to apply changes

Upgraded to Windows 10 six days ago. All worked normally until today, when the message appears at start-up that a re-start is required for changes to take effect. Re-starting only produces the message again. Windows last updated successfully five days ago (Microsoft Silverlight). I don't see any update failures reported. What has happened to cause Windows to constantly ask for a restart?

Thanks in advance. An image of the message is attached.

:)

WayUpNorth, Jun 26, 2016

2. Cumulative updates fail (rollback) since August

version 1607

Running WuReset, does not change the out come. Ran WuReset, Rebooted, Waited for Windows say I need updates, applied them. Clicked restart when it said a restart was needed. The computer restarted, got to 20% and then when to "restarted" rolled the change
    back.

RussMonckton, Jun 26, 2016
  3. November cumulative Win10 update causing restarts

Again this morning, notice that I need to restart to apply changes. Hello, anyone out there?

JohnHouse05, Jun 26, 2016
  4. Restart needed to apply changes

Try shutdown instead of restart ... that's the first thing I'd try
    then
    Make sure that User Account Control is set to he default
    then
    Part One: To Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 in this tutorial: Clean Boot

Slartybart, Jun 27, 2016
  5. TairikuOkami, Jun 27, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Have you also done a full malware scan, to make sure that it is not a bug disguising itself as a legal message box.

bro67, Jun 27, 2016
  7. Update: The problem appears to be resolved, although I'm not sure what action contributed to it.

Re: Check for malware. As soon as the problem first appeared, I did a complete malware/virus scan with no problems identified. The request for a restart continued.
    Re: Do a system cleanup. Was run shortly thereafter. The request for a restart continued.
    Re: Do a complete shutdown. Did several of these, and the request for a restart continued.
    Re: User Account Control - was set to default. To make sure, I set it to a different setting, then re-set it to default.
    On the next start after shutdown, the problem did not appear (no request for a restart). The computer has now run two days, through multiple reboots and shutdowns, without it reappearing.

Thank you for the suggestions. It appears that for the moment all is operating normally once again. I'll hold off for a few days marking this as solved, but I will do that if things continue to be fine. Thanks again.

WayUpNorth, Jun 28, 2016
  8. Restart needed to apply changes

Too quick - Not quite resolved.

It is not resolved on a restart - the message reappears requesting a restart after bootup. But on a complete shut down, the message is no longer appearing upon boot up. Any thoughts?

WayUpNorth, Jul 2, 2016
  9. Could be something in your hibernation file.

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following commands

cd \
    dir /a hiber*.*

(if there is not a hiberfil.sys, just exit)

(otherwise - turn off hibernation)

powercfg /h off
    exit
    Restart to test

Since hibernation was on before (hiberfil.sys existed), you can turn it back on if you want

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following commands

powercfg /h off
    exit

Slartybart, Jul 2, 2016
  10. Slartybart - Thanks for the response.

Followed directions; hiberfil.sys exists, turned powercfg /h off. That now causes the reboot notice to appear on a power down/reboot as well as a restart. Question: Should have the hiberfil.sys file been deleted? (I didn't delete it as you didn't indicate that).

Any other ideas?

WayUpNorth, Jul 2, 2016
  11. There should be no hiberfil.sys once disabled. You can delete it, if it was left over.

Should not the command be:

powercfg -h off

TairikuOkami, Jul 2, 2016
  12. Check for the hiberfil.sys file again - it shouldn't be there
    Command Prompt (Admin)
    c:
    cd \
    dir /a hiber*.*
    Turning off hibernation would not change the cold start - so there's something else

You did turn off hibernation - right?
    You're only asking about deleting hiberfil.sys because I didn't explicit say "Delete hiberfil.sys" - right?
    I had to read your post a few times - I almost thought that you missed the not in (if there is not a hiberfil.sys, just exit)
    but I think you're alright - just double checking.

slash or dash doesn't matter, they both work

Slartybart, Jul 2, 2016
  13. Restart needed to apply changes

Slartybart - You asked: "You did turn off hibernation - right?" Right, it is turned off, and the hiberfil.sys file is no longer there.

WayUpNorth, Jul 2, 2016
  14. Thanks - just wanted to be sure. I'll have think about this for a while .....

Slartybart, Jul 2, 2016
  15. The "restart necessary" still appears but not always. I've narrowed it down to this, but don't know where to look for a solution.

If the computer has entered the sleep mode, subsequently awaken and then shut down, the "restart necessary" will appear on the next startup. (Fast start mode/hibernation is not active).

If the computer has not entered the sleep mode since startup, and then shut down, the "restart necessary" does not appear on the next startup.

So it seems to have something to do with the sleep mode. Any ideas where to look to stop this message from appearing? Thanks in advance.

WayUpNorth, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Restart needed to apply changes

1. Restart needed to apply changes - Similar Threads - Restart needed apply

2. I installed windows 11 but my computer has not restarted and applied changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed windows 11 but my computer has not restarted and applied changes: I installed windows 11 on my windows 10 pc, i made sure it meets the requirements but when i downloaded it. it wont restart and update my software, its been 2 days and used all the storage it needs. How do i fix this...
  3. I installed windows 11 but my computer has not restarted and applied changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I installed windows 11 but my computer has not restarted and applied changes: I installed windows 11 on my windows 10 pc, i made sure it meets the requirements but when i downloaded it. it wont restart and update my software, its been 2 days and used all the storage it needs. How do i fix this...
  4. I installed windows 11 but my computer has not restarted and applied changes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I need to change my legal name for applying PL 400 exam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to change my legal name for applying PL 400 exam: My name as per identity is Mark Charbel El Helou for my email *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-change-my-legal-name-for-applying-pl-400/2e46793c-65c0-4dc8-9aab-c170646b2254
  6. I need to change my legal name for applying PL 400 exam

I need to change my legal name for applying PL 400 exam: My name as per identity is Mark Charbel El Helou for my email *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-change-my-legal-name-for-applying-pl-400/2e46793c-65c0-4dc8-9aab-c170646b2254
  7. security change isn't applied after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    security change isn't applied after restart: hello there, in the windows security panel, something with a warning appeared a few days ago and according to the following image it says I have to restart my pc to change to be applied but after several times restarting it didn't apply the changes what can I do?...
  8. security change isn't applied after restart

security change isn't applied after restart: hello there, in the windows security panel, something with a warning appeared a few days ago and according to the following image it says I have to restart my pc to change to be applied but after several times restarting it didn't apply the changes what can I do?...
  9. Windows is not applying my changes.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows is not applying my changes.: This is probably a simple bug, I was on msconfig and was trying to change an option. A really annoying problem happened. When I click apply, it resets the option and does nothing. I was also trying to change the maximum memory. Same thing happened when i clicked apply....
  10. automatic restart on "you must restart your computer to apply these changes"

in Windows 10 Customization
    automatic restart on "you must restart your computer to apply these changes": is there a registry key that allows an automatic reboot on this windows message ? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-restart-on-you-must-restart-your/08212996-16b4-44ce-944e-04dcd9679e26