Windows 10: Restart required after sleep

Discus and support Restart required after sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Once my computer goes to sleep, I have to do a restart to get any videos to play. On YouTube I get the "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bobland, Oct 14, 2016.

1. bobland Win User

Restart required after sleep

Once my computer goes to sleep, I have to do a restart to get any videos to play. On YouTube I get the "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device." Unfortunately, I get this message for any video on any site after sleep. It's not limited to just Chrome. I get this with Firefox and any news site I visit.

I've updated my video drivers to no avail. I've had this problem for over 6 months and have yet to find a solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Burt

:)

bobland, Oct 14, 2016

2. windows 10 November update problems network connection sleep

since i updated 1511 i lose network connection & sleep does work the same, does not require password when wake up. this requires a restart to resolve. it happens every time after sleep.

Daryl Johnson 49, Oct 14, 2016
  3. MarioPapa Win User
    Win 10 confused after creating microsoft account- Need Advice

Thanks for the reply. If I leave surface 3 tablet alone and it goes to sleep then it requires password upon waking still after doing what you suggested. If I restart after waking from sleep when it is requesting a password no password is needed. Any more
    suggestions on what to try to avoid entering password when surface wakes from sleep.

Thanks

MarioPapa, Oct 14, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

In general this kind of thing reflects lousy or improper driver handling in the sleep/wake process. What often happens is that drivers get turned off or disconnected so that when wake-up occurs, formerly working devices (or rather, the software that lets your system communicate and interact with those devices) stops working, or works only erratically. The draconian solution is to have the PC stop sleeping. Dalchina often posts about a series of utilities with charming names like "don't sleep" or "never sleep." If you poke around the forums, or IM him directly, you can probably find out about that stuff.

I feel for you: this is an incredibly vexing situation.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 14, 2016
  5. prikker Win User
    Don't know. I never use sleep. My laptop stay's on the whole day. When I go to bed I use hibernate mode. Once a week I shut off completely.

prikker, Oct 14, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Do you have the latest bios on the MB ? Here

perhaps it has sleep issues ? or doesn't hibernate correctly like my older GByte MB ? so I disabled hibernate and then it sleeps (S3 only) correctly.

at an admin cmd prompt try powercfg -h off <enter> to disable hibernate to try it.. use ON to renable

Kbird, Oct 14, 2016
  7. Somewhat similar situation to what my pc started doing for whatever reason. Waking from hibernate would have various problems upon logging in such as mouse not working/black screen nvidia driver crashing/black screen to login menu with improperly functioning nvidia driver. Ultimate never found a solution short of the above stated, just shutdown instead option.

BobLeSaget, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Restart required after sleep - Similar Threads - Restart required sleep

2. Windows Update KB5032288 Restart required after restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update KB5032288 Restart required after restarting: Hi, My window update requires a restart after I've restarted and turned off my computer multiple times. I've never had this error before. Thank you in advance.OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer...
  3. Windows Update KB5032288 Restart required after restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update KB5032288 Restart required after restarting: Hi, My window update requires a restart after I've restarted and turned off my computer multiple times. I've never had this error before. Thank you in advance.OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer...
  4. Computer restarts after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer restarts after sleep: whenever I put my pc to sleep after a few minutes it just restarts. I read other posts related to this. So I have tried:powercfg/lastwake shows nothingclean boot didn't helpPlease help me out...
  5. Computer restarts after sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer restarts after sleep: whenever I put my pc to sleep after a few minutes it just restarts. I read other posts related to this. So I have tried:powercfg/lastwake shows nothingclean boot didn't helpPlease help me out...
  6. Random restarts after sleep or hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Random restarts after sleep or hibernate: Hi I've been having an issue on Windows 10 whereby my laptop randomly restarts after either sleep or hibernate mode. There don't seem to be any hardware issues detected. Additionally the event log displays the following errorThe computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The...
  7. no sound in applications after sleep, application restart required to fix it??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    no sound in applications after sleep, application restart required to fix it??: idk what is happenning with my pc i'm using windows 10 2004 updated when when i wake my pc from sleep i have no sound in running applications and i need to restart the application to fix it. any idea how to fix? I think it started this month submitted by /u/winzupdatee...
  8. restart after sleeping

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    restart after sleeping: When the computer is left on until it automatically sleeps, or when I push the sleep button, on returning to use the computer I click the power button and a full screen photo comes up. Normally I would hit the space bar and it would flip to the sign-in page but often, hitting...
  9. Require password after sleep.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Require password after sleep.: I need my Windows 10 computer to require my windows password after waking from sleep. All answers on the web point to either the 'Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options' menu or the 'Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options' menu. I have checked both and the...
  10. Password Required after sleep

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Password Required after sleep: I have suddenly got a power management problem. On first boot up the laptop fires up Win Home and does not require a password input. However if I close the lid, the laptop goes to sleep. open the lid press space bar and it now asks for the login password. I have run...