Windows 10: Restart required to see files on USB drive after backup is run

Discus and support Restart required to see files on USB drive after backup is run in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Pc starts normally, Dell logo, home screen, key in password and desktop comes up. 1. Attach USB drive E:. Folders shown are File History, Myname-PC,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TMWGray, Jun 22, 2020.

1. TMWGray Win User

Restart required to see files on USB drive after backup is run

Pc starts normally, Dell logo, home screen, key in password and desktop comes up.

1. Attach USB drive E:. Folders shown are File History, Myname-PC, WD Software Installer, Windows Image Backup and a Family History Backup. All can be expanded and contents seen.

2. A schedule backup is run and the folders named Myname-PC which is my complete back up and Windows Image Backupcannot be expanded. All the other be expanded and contents seen.

3. Safely remove USB drive, leave for 10 minutes and re-attach but the two folders still cannot be expanded.

4. Safely remove USB drive, restart PC which advises to wait Blue screen with circle of dots revolving after several minutes Dell logo appears and can start with password.

5. Connect USB drive and all Folders can be expanded and contents viewed. After the backup is run I have to go through items 3, 4 and 5 every time before I can see the contents of the folders as described.

Drive C in File Explorer

View>Options>Change folders and Search options>view> Show hidden files, folders and drives is selected.

Hide protected operating system files recommended is ticked.

Drive E USB in File Explorer

View>Options>Change folders and Search options>view> Show hidden files, folders and drives is selected.

Hide protected operating system files recommended is ticked.

This has never occurred before. Can anyone advise how to fix this.

TMWGray

:)

TMWGray, Jun 22, 2020

2. Swapping out the USB drive to use File History.

Thanks for your help. Turns out there were a few more steps required but I was able to start using the new drive for my File History by following your suggestions with these extra steps.

1. Turn off File History via settings (This MUST be the first step)

2. Plug-in new USB drive and quick format as NTFS (record new drive letter for use in later step)

3. Remove old File History drive from the system

4. Restart PC

5. Use the "Backup to a different drive" section in Settings/Update/Backup/more options to assign new drive to File History

6. Turn on File History

7. Use the "Back up now" button to start the first backup to the new drive.

Note: The old drive will still contain the old File History files if you ever need to resort them.

Frank The Bank, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Restart required to see files on USB drive after backup is run

Backup drive is running out of space

Hi Argel Obm,

Thank you for your helpful post. I am travelling & would try out your suggestions after return.

Would write back if I need further help.

Thank you

Bappaditya Gupta, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Restart required to see files on USB drive after backup is run

1. Restart required to see files on USB drive after backup is run - Similar Threads - Restart required files

2. PC requires two restarts to run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC requires two restarts to run: Hi. I am having issues with my Windows 10 gaming PC. Recently it requires me to restart it twice in order for some of the applications to run and for my Samsung tv to register screen input. Everything is up to date and no virus have been found. The issues I am finding is my...
  3. PC requires two restarts to run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC requires two restarts to run: Hi. I am having issues with my Windows 10 gaming PC. Recently it requires me to restart it twice in order for some of the applications to run and for my Samsung tv to register screen input. Everything is up to date and no virus have been found. The issues I am finding is my...
  4. PC requires two restarts to run

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?: I am not asking about backing up TO an external drive. submitted by /u/nintendo1889 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mrq3tf/can_file_history_backup_the_files_that_are_on_a/
  6. Can't see backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't see backup files: I'm running Windows 10 and using Windows Backup. It's set to back up to a Toshiba external drive. It says that it's backing up files every day. When I open the Toshiba drive I see no Windows backup files. I have it set to show hidden files. I am the administrator. I...
  7. Copying music/photo files to a USB drive as a backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying music/photo files to a USB drive as a backup: Hi. I am trying to back my music library from my PC Win 10 and some times I am successful but other times I can copy the same files on to a bare USB drive and they only copy 50% or 60% then it freezes and tells me that there is a problem. I started with 485 songs but I have...
  8. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  9. Can't backup files on 64 gig USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't backup files on 64 gig USB drive: My SanDisk USB drive is fairly new, I use it just to backup my files on my computer. I got a message telling me to "Reconnect storage device", and that's what I did. But doing that didn't change anything, and I'm getting the same message when I try to backup my files....
  10. Windows Backup not seeing drives...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows Backup not seeing drives...: My HP X 360 Envy has an SD drive for C: (boot drive); and a 1TB D: drive (split into 2 drives, one being a Recovery, not visible). I went into Windows Settings, and selected Backup, then clicked on Add Drive, wanting in this instance to backup the D: Drive to a server in...