Windows 10: Restart, Safe Mode Boot, Hibernate, BCDedit errors after W10 Crash

Discus and support Restart, Safe Mode Boot, Hibernate, BCDedit errors after W10 Crash in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had W10 crash and then get stuck in a "Windows needs to repair itself loop". I have corrected that and generally everything is working okay on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DDE12, Jul 21, 2020.

1. DDE12 Win User

Restart, Safe Mode Boot, Hibernate, BCDedit errors after W10 Crash

I had W10 crash and then get stuck in a "Windows needs to repair itself loop". I have corrected that and generally everything is working okay on my Dell E5550 laptop with W10 Version 1909 (Build 18363.476). But, I cannot hibernate, cannot boot into safe mode, cannot Reset Windows. Initially I could not shutdown the laptop but disabling "Turn on fast startup" allowed it to shutdown. Currently, attempting to hibernate only turns the screen off and touchpad/keyboard movement will turn it back on. Attempting to boot into safe mode just takes me to the login in screen and so does trying to Reset Windows. In the boot tab of msconfig I cannot do anything- clicking on Advanced button or clicking in the boot options boxes does nothing.

After the crash I deleted the boot partition and made a new EFI boot on Drive D:. That allowed me to get back into Windows. I ran DISM and SFC /scanow, both of which found things to fix. I ran them both again after the repairs and they found nothing further to repair.

I tried to follow some bcdedit help but no bcdedit command will work. I get the error message (elevated command prompt) "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found."

I have a suspicion that all of these issues are related and would greatly appreciate some help on troubleshooting and correcting them. Thank you in advance.

:)

DDE12, Jul 21, 2020

2. Windows 10 boot to safe mode

I recently had my disk drive replaced by Dell. The new drive supposedly came the initial Windows 10 image I had received when I purchased the system. I am no longer able to boot into safe mode by holding down the <shift> key when booting the system. The
    boot tab in msconfig shows only

Windows 10 (c:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS.

Is there a way to add more entries where I could assign Boot options for alternate shell or network?

I found a guide "Safe Mode in Win 10" which suggested using bcdedit as follows:

bcdedit /copy {Current} /d "Windows 10 Safe Mode"

The command came back with:

The copy command specified is not valid

Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance

The parameter is incorrect.

What parameter should I be using to create the new entry in the boot list?

AlleycatAL, Jul 21, 2020
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 21, 2020
  4. coopfab Win User

Cannot Enter Safe Mode / Computer boots normally

I'm running Win 10 Pro 1903.

Here are the steps I have taken to get into safe mode: Start button, settings, update and security, recovery, advanced startup, troubleshoot, advanced options, startup settings, restart. The computer boots normally, not in safe mode. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in advance for your help and interest. .

coopfab, Jul 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Restart, Safe Mode Boot, Hibernate, BCDedit errors after W10 Crash - Similar Threads - Restart Safe Mode

2. Laptop Hibernates in Safe Mode, but not in Regular mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Hibernates in Safe Mode, but not in Regular mode: A few days ago I noticed that my laptop no longer goes into hibernate mode, it just "Logs off" both by pressing the button in the power menu and by closing the lidWhen I put the laptop into Safe Mode, and close the lid, the laptop goes into Hibernate mode.I'd really like to...
  3. Laptop Hibernates in Safe Mode, but not in Regular mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Hibernates in Safe Mode, but not in Regular mode: A few days ago I noticed that my laptop no longer goes into hibernate mode, it just "Logs off" both by pressing the button in the power menu and by closing the lidWhen I put the laptop into Safe Mode, and close the lid, the laptop goes into Hibernate mode.I'd really like to...
  4. Laptop Hibernates in Safe Mode, but not in Regular mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Restart after hibernation

Restart after hibernation: I hibernate computer every afternoon using Scheduler and command line shutdown/h. It works fine.I would like to restart computer at 7AM. Tried the command line shutdown/r on Scheduler, but it does not work. Any ideas on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated....
  6. Lenovo Yoga laptop stuck in Safe Mode/safeboot even after bcdedit /deletevalue

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lenovo Yoga laptop stuck in Safe Mode/safeboot even after bcdedit /deletevalue: So my mums camera wasn't working, had a blackscreen when starting the Camera app , my dad booted into Safe Mode using msconfig and checking Safeboot, without knowing that PIN Password won't work afterwards. Now were stuck in Safe Mode. My dad suggested deleting it with...
  7. bcdedit not working while in safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    bcdedit not working while in safe mode: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TRQ7 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eiqolg/bcdedit_not_working_while_in_safe_mode/
  8. Sleep and Hibernate mode restart

Sleep and Hibernate mode restart: How do I wake my desktop back up after I put it into Sleep or Hibernate mode? It seems I always have to completely restart my computer and I don't want that....
  9. Boot manager problem - failure to boot - bcdedit error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot manager problem - failure to boot - bcdedit error: The machine is MSI Titan GT80 SLI running Windows 10 1903. It has 4 SSD disks, two PCIe and 2 SATA. I am only concerned about the PCIe SSD (2280 format). Here is the layout, it's disk 0 and disk 1 that are relevant. [ATTACH] Disk 0 boots just fine. I cloned the disk 0 to...
  10. W10 Safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Safe mode: I have been told that you can enter Safe Mode in W10 by holding the Shift key at startup and tapping the F8 key, do you know if this is correct? (I had a crash after holding he shift key so didn't get any further) 34008

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to hibernate on safemode