Windows 10: Restarted PC and folder on desktop just disappeared

Discus and support Restarted PC and folder on desktop just disappeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 1 year old Dell XPS 13. Had a folder with some pictures on the desktop. Restarted it and the folder is gone. Looked in the desktop folder in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SoDiMm, Dec 24, 2020.

1. SoDiMm Win User

Restarted PC and folder on desktop just disappeared

1 year old Dell XPS 13. Had a folder with some pictures on the desktop. Restarted it and the folder is gone. Looked in the desktop folder in the profile directory and enabled show hidden/system files. Thing is gone. Tried ESUS and ReCuva and honestly, they just found unusable garbage. Any ideas as to what happened? Kinda makes one not trust their PC any more.
    Windows 10 fully updated.

:)

SoDiMm, Dec 24, 2020
  2. silkstone Win User

Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

Restarted PC and folder on desktop just disappeared upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Dec 24, 2020
  3. Desktop Disappeared After Windows 10 Update

After upgrading to windows 10, my desktop completely disappeared, sometimes it will flash for a micro second. The Desktop folder is still in my folder list and I can access it that way but prefer to have access to my desktop. I saw the other thread where
    it suggested a clean boot, but this did not work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Jessica23Q, Dec 24, 2020
  4. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Restarted PC and folder on desktop just disappeared - Similar Threads - Restarted folder desktop

2. Folder Disappeared on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Disappeared on Desktop: Hello,I was putting some files into a folder on my desktop. Then, when I wanted to open that folder on desktop, it disappeared. I've tried to add a new file to another folder that I have created using an app and I got an error message, which I can't remember what that was at...
  3. Folder Disappeared on Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Disappeared on Desktop: Hello,I was putting some files into a folder on my desktop. Then, when I wanted to open that folder on desktop, it disappeared. I've tried to add a new file to another folder that I have created using an app and I got an error message, which I can't remember what that was at...
  4. folder disappeared on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    folder disappeared on my desktop: a folder with photographs disappeared on my notbook computer. need to recover folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-disappeared-on-my-desktop/122af06d-6a92-4454-b1b8-23364399c368
  5. Desktop files and folders disappeared?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop files and folders disappeared?: today i opened my laptop that has windows 11 and all files from desktop were disappeared, and also a update happened just before that and ive tried every guide to recover but i couldnt, does anyone know how can i get my files back?...
  6. Desktop files and folders disappeared?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop files and folders disappeared?: today i opened my laptop that has windows 11 and all files from desktop were disappeared, and also a update happened just before that and ive tried every guide to recover but i couldnt, does anyone know how can i get my files back?...
  7. Help! my desktop just disappears and the windows folders disappear and all i have is a...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help! my desktop just disappears and the windows folders disappear and all i have is a...: When i 1st get on my computer everything is ok after a few min then i'll be playing a game or i'll be on line and then i see a quick blink from the screen and when i check desktop and folders gone! My game and online are fine i can see them it's just desktop and folders that...
  8. mklink folders are disappeared once pc restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    mklink folders are disappeared once pc restart: We are created mklink batch file and installed to program files x 86 folder location. After installation two folders created in the particular location. But once restarted pc, the folders are not appeared in that particular location. so every time i ran the batch and...
  9. mklink folders are disappeared once pc restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    mklink folders are disappeared once pc restart: We are created mklink batch file and installed to program files x 86 folder location. After installation two folders created in the particular location. But once restarted pc, the folders are not appeared in that particular location. so every time i ran the batch and...
  10. A file just disappeared from the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    A file just disappeared from the desktop: Hello everyone! I have a question/problem and I want to know if this ever happened to any of you. I was working on an Excel file, that was saved on my desktop, I saved it, closed it and when I clicked on it (the icon file on my desktop) it simply disappeared. I...