Windows 10: Restarting computer since updates messes with second monitor

Discus and support Restarting computer since updates messes with second monitor in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So starting September 6th when I did the update KB4346783 any time I have to restart my computer I lose display on my second monitor. Now the monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MichelleSimmons21, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Restarting computer since updates messes with second monitor

So starting September 6th when I did the update KB4346783 any time I have to restart my computer I lose display on my second monitor. Now the monitor is still on and acting like its here, but is just black. I have to go and uninstall my graphics driver to make it display properly again. This isn't okay and I'm not sure how to fix it. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it, thank you.

:)

MichelleSimmons21, Sep 17, 2018

2. Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Sep 17, 2018
  3. Second monitor not detected after update

Hi Tom,

There are several reasons that could have caused the issue you are experiencing. One of these is the update you previously performed in Windows, either it was not configured properly by the system or the update components were corrupted. Kindly answer the
    following questions for clarification:

• Have you tried updating the monitor and display drivers?
    • Have you tried to use another user profile to check if the issue re-occurs?

Furthermore, we suggest that you add the other monitor manually. This is to ensure that the second monitor is still connected after the update. Here are the steps:

• Type connected devices and open Connected Devices on the
      Windows Search bar.
    • Click Add devices.
    • Select the Second screen.
    • Pick one of the 3 options: Duplicate, Extend, and the Second screen only.
    • The Duplicate option will duplicate the primary display to secondary display.
    • The Extend option will unite two monitors so you can use them both as one.
    • The Second screen only option will, obviously, disable primary and use only the secondary monitor.
    • Once you’ve chosen the preferred mode, save changes.

We're looking forward to your response.

PreciousLeb, Sep 17, 2018
  4. Restarting computer since updates messes with second monitor

Issues while installing a second monitor in Windows 10

Really? I get a canned answer and nothing else? I posted that I had tried everything that I could find posted online. I did read the post that Andre suggested multiple times prior to posting this request for help. None of it helped.

My computer does not recognize that there is a second monitor is plugged in. The small step of changing the settings so I can put stuff on the second monitor ISN'T the issue. I am not that dumb. in the device manager there is only the single monitor listed
    at one point there was a unknown device listed but my computer did not know if it was a monitor or a printer.

There has to be someone out there that knows how to fix this

Please Help

squareknees, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

Restarting computer since updates messes with second monitor

1. Restarting computer since updates messes with second monitor - Similar Threads - Restarting computer since

2. Second Monitors colors are messed up after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Monitors colors are messed up after Windows 10 update: My second monitor's colors are a messed up and there are lines showing after the new windows 10 update. I have a nvidia 1060 max q graphics card. Installing the newest drivers did not seems to help , tried the monitor on a different laptop it works fines . How can I fix this?...
  3. Second Monitors colors are messed up after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second Monitors colors are messed up after Windows 10 update: My second monitor's colors are a messed up and there are lines showing after the new windows 10 update. I have a nvidia 1060 max q graphics card. Installing the newest drivers did not seems to help , tried the monitor on a different laptop it works fines . How can I fix this?...
  4. Second Monitors colors are messed up after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Messed up audio since latest update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Messed up audio since latest update: Hello,Ever since the latest Windows 10 update that was today 17.2.2023 my audio is messed up. The sounds is weird, I can not properly describe it. But when I listen to a video or music the tone keeps changing from this good quality to really bad depending on the depths of the...
  6. Laptop does't detect second monitor since the updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop does't detect second monitor since the updates: I have HP laptop and im regulary updating windows. Since yesterday, plugging in HDMI or any type of converter (tried several monitors), doesn't work. It just like doesn't detect it. No sound when you plug it in, nothing... Any possible solutions? Thanks submitted by...
  7. Computer restarting repeatedly since a 'quality' update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer restarting repeatedly since a 'quality' update: I was prompted to do a 'quality update' on 16 May 2020, which I did overnight. Since then, my computer has restarted repeatedly, even when I am not using it. When I return to it all my apps and documents have been closed. The updates were 2020-05 Cumulative update for .NET...
  8. Think the latest update messed up the monitor of my computer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Think the latest update messed up the monitor of my computer.: Recently I left my computer unattended and when I came back later I moved the mouse for it to boot but nothing happens. The computer is on. The fans move, the caps key light blinks, the light telling me it is connecting to internet is on, and my PC is charged. I am able to...
  9. Computer not detecting the second monitor

Computer not detecting the second monitor: Hello, I have a Dell all in one desktop model- Inspiron 24 Model 3459, however, it is not detecting my second monitor. I have attempted to detect automatically as well as manually, updated the driver, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. However, my computer is still...
  10. Files lost when saved on second monitor and computer restarted

Files lost when saved on second monitor and computer restarted: I know this sounds weird, but its happening. - I have 2 monitors - I have a powerpoint open on my second monitor - I save periodically and it saves. The icon is on my desktop and I can open and close the file - Turn my computer off for the day - Start it up next day, no...