Windows 10: Restarting my laptop shuts it down and requires power on to continue.

Discus and support Restarting my laptop shuts it down and requires power on to continue. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Frequently (on about 50% of attempts), restarting My Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1607 (build 14393.693), ASUSTeK X555LA 1.0 laptop shuts it down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hyperneph, Feb 17, 2017.

1. hyperneph Win User

Restarting my laptop shuts it down and requires power on to continue.

Frequently (on about 50% of attempts), restarting My Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1607 (build 14393.693), ASUSTeK X555LA 1.0 laptop shuts it down without automatic restart, and requires manual power on to continue. I have automatically installed all Windows 10 updates offered. This problem has persisted through several of these updates and several "repair reinstalls". I have disabled Fast Boot. I believe that my laptop is uninfected. I am not familiar with which registry keys may be related. I have gone through all the forum threads that I could find on Windows 10 Forums re: restart and shut-down dysfunction without success. I am fresh out of ideas. I hope that I have not over-looked something obvious. I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Thanks,

:)

hyperneph, Feb 17, 2017
  2. pnthr72 Win User

Update and shut down

I am using Windows 10. UPon shut down, I get the prompt to "update and shut down" However, my laptop never shuts down, just continue to get "spinning wheel" Tried to power down, but this does not work, just keep getting the spinning wheel

Thanks

pnthr72, Feb 17, 2017
  3. My pc won't shut down!!!

My laptop will not shut down completely after installing windows 10. I went through all settings in the power section. It only shuts down when I restart first then shut down. What is causing this to happen?

barbaradaniels55, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 17, 2017
  5. hyperneph Win User
    Hi Brink: *Smile

Thank you for responding to my post. I forgot to disable fast start up as I had intended, and did not remember until I read your much appreciated response. I have now performed this correction and will check my laptop's restart function for a day or two. I will let you know if this takes care of the problem.

Thanks a lot,

hyperneph, Feb 18, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I hope that's the culprit. *Smile

Brink, Feb 18, 2017
  7. hyperneph Win User
    Hi Brink:

Please accept my apology for this very tardy reply.

Contrary to hopeful expectations, after updating to Version 1703 (build 15063.14), my Asus X555LA laptop not only remains plagued by this same problem-- present since just prior to the Anniversary Update-- but has now acquired three new problems, which I suspect are related to this first one. These are all independent of both the Fast Boot and Safe Boot functions.

Since the Creator Update, both waking from sleep and turning screen back on, after settings activated, idle-time related screen turn-off invariably crash laptop, requiring restart-to-shutdown and power-on.

Also, since the Creator Update, laptop occasionally crashes spontaneously, also requiring restart-to-shut down and power-on.

Am I incorrect in assuming that this is not a hardware dysfunction?
    As before any advice or help would be much appreciated

.I Remain As Always,

A Very Frustrated

hyperneph, Apr 11, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

It may be best to perform a clean install to start fresh. *Sad

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Restarting my laptop shuts it down and requires power on to continue. - Similar Threads - Restarting laptop shuts

2. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  3. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  4. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop restarts after shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarts after shut down: Hi, my laptop will restart after shutting down, What is the cause of this issue and how to solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-restarts-after-shut-down/10cffe66-5e17-4326-be4b-03f550275d86
  6. Laptop restarts after shut down

Laptop restarts after shut down: Hi, my laptop will restart after shutting down, What is the cause of this issue and how to solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-restarts-after-shut-down/10cffe66-5e17-4326-be4b-03f550275d86
  7. Laptop won't restart or shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't restart or shut down: If I attempt to restart the laptop it shows the black screen with the dots rotating with the "restarting" text on it and nothing happens, If I try to shut down the same happens only with the "shutting down" text. I tried shutting down all programs before turning off and It...
  8. Laptop won't restart or shut down

Laptop won't restart or shut down: If I attempt to restart the laptop it shows the black screen with the dots rotating with the "restarting" text on it and nothing happens, If I try to shut down the same happens only with the "shutting down" text. I tried shutting down all programs before turning off and It...
  9. Laptop restart after shutting down on battery power

Laptop restart after shutting down on battery power: Laptop restart after shutting down on battery power but when connected with charging adapter shut down until power is supplied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-restart-after-shutting-down-on-battery/5fdfd35d-bee8-48db-b523-c94de0042d58
  10. power on/shut down

power on/shut down: I recently reset my laptop back to the original settings. Ever since when I want to shut down now my laptop I only see Sleep, Update and Shut down and Update and Restart. I don't see the simple Shut down option. I don't want to continually update. How can I get this fixed?...