Windows 10: Restarts Outside Active Hours Can Be That Day, or Take Up to a Week? Why?

Discus and support Restarts Outside Active Hours Can Be That Day, or Take Up to a Week? Why? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Guys, My computers will get the Action Center Notification, "Your Device Needs to Restart Outside Active Hours" and after Active Hours have ended,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JackPlatt, Dec 10, 2020.

1. JackPlatt Win User

Restarts Outside Active Hours Can Be That Day, or Take Up to a Week? Why?

Guys,

My computers will get the Action Center Notification, "Your Device Needs to Restart Outside Active Hours" and after Active Hours have ended, Mine are from 7AM-1AM the computers will sometimes auto reboot overnight to install Windows Updates. Other times, it will be about five days where restarts don't happen overnight and the updates just sit in the query.

No one is using the computer outside of Active Hours, and I have had this issue on BOTH my Dell Desktop and Toshiba Laptop. Only differences are that the Toshiba was a Windows 8.1 machine that I updated to Windows 10 on the 1909 update. The desktop came ODM with Windows 10. But both machines have the same behavior? Do your machines act like this where sometimes the overnight restart Windows 10 for updates tick is missed. Or do your machines always restart overnight for Windows Updates when Action Center says they will?

Jack

:)

JackPlatt, Dec 10, 2020
  2. JackPlatt Win User

Computer Not Restarting Outside of Active Hours (Build 1909)

Guys,

Ever since build 1803, I have had intermittent issues with my computer not restarting once Active Hours have ended. My Active Hours are set from 7AM to 1 AM, and around Patch Tuesday, or a day or so later, I correctly get a notice in Action Center that my
    PC needs to restart outside of Active Hours.

The thing is though, I have inactivity open from 1AM to 6:59 AM, and I will wake up the next day, and my computer has not performed the restart even though no one was using it during the night. ACTION CENTER MAY REPEAT THE PROCESS OF THE RESTART NOTIFICATION
    FOR 3-4 DAYS BEFORE THE RESTART HAPPENS. Other times, the restart outside of Active Hours happens as it should, so it is an intermittent issue.

Jack

JackPlatt, Dec 10, 2020
  3. JackPlatt Win User
    Why Are Restarts Outside of Active Hours so Unpredictable?

Greetings All,

I have had really bad frustrations with the unpredictability of Focus Assist and Active Hours ever since build 1809 on Windows 10 and this has now carried over on two PC’s; a Dell Desktop and a Toshiba Laptop. Here are some observations for the Microsoft
    Answers Community:

I have my Active Hours set from 7am to 11 PM on both computers. I also have notices checked to receive restart notifications. I will get the typical two notifications about the restarts sometimes on Patch Tuesday or the following day.

Sometimes the restarts are fine going without a hitch within about 1-2 hours after the first update notice. Other times for the past two YEARS I keep getting “Your Computer Will Need to Start Outside of Active Hours”, sometimes for FOUR OR FINE DAYS! The
    restart is not kicking in after the range of Active Hours have ended. This means, that from 11:O1PM to 7:01 AM I am not getting the restarts outside of Active Hours that Action Center says are waiting. Sometimes I just restart the computer through the Windows
    Start logo button I can’t stand waiting anymore.

What algorithms determine when these restarts happen outside of Active Hours? Why is there a delay of up to four or five days for a restart to occur for Restarts to happen outside of Active Hours? Microsoft needs to get a more definitive time for when
    the computer is set to restart outside of Active Hours and we need to see this in the Action Center toaster pop-up. Right-now, we have to go to Change Active Hours Settings to pick a day and time, if we don’t want to wait for the restart tick to take effect.

A new problem with Windows build 1909 is that updates will sit in the Windows Update query on BOTH PC’s “Pending Download” or “Pending Install” UNLESS I go into Advanced Windows Update settings and turn on, “Download Updates Over Metered Connection “is turned
    on. Never had this issue before build 1909, but have anywhere from same day to five day waits on restarts after Active Hours, since Windows Build 1803.

Ran every troubleshooter, Scan Disk, and sometimes several MONTHS will go by where the updates install fine after After Hours have passed. Other times it is a guessing game as to when the auto restart to install updates will happen. Not really interested
    in looking for solutions. Too tired of playing “tech guy.” The goal of this thread is to share these experiences with the community.

Regards,

Jack

JackPlatt, Dec 10, 2020
  4. karlliss Win User

windows 10 is NOT restarting after a windows update even if is outside of active hours.

I start windows updates on my system and leave for dinner, expecting the updates to be finished and the system re-booted when i return.

when i return at 7:30 pm (outside of active hours) i find the update status screen with a status of "awaiting restart"

"your device is scheduled to restart outside of active hours. (Active hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm)"

If i click on "restart now" everything completes normally.

I have a screen print showing this information along with the system clock showing that the current time is outside of active hours (is it possible to post that screen print here?)

This is NOT a new problem and actually happens on more than one PC, but i am getting tired of going though the extra steps and waiting for completion of this process that should have already finished while i was away from my PC.

Why won't my system reboot outside of active hours after updates are complete?

Windows 10 pro

version 1709

os build 16299.334

Active hours are 8am to 5pm.

karlliss, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Restarts Outside Active Hours Can Be That Day, or Take Up to a Week? Why? - Similar Threads - Restarts Outside Active

2. Bitlocker restart taking hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker restart taking hours: I put in the recovery key for bitlocker and said it would need to restart or go to advanced settings. For 2 hours it’s been on the HP loading screen attempting to restart. Has anyone had success with this?...
  3. Bitlocker restart taking hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker restart taking hours: I put in the recovery key for bitlocker and said it would need to restart or go to advanced settings. For 2 hours it’s been on the HP loading screen attempting to restart. Has anyone had success with this?...
  4. Excel formula for week day work hours?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel formula for week day work hours?: So i have this excel formula to get the days of a month '=DATE(CONFIG!B3,CONFIG!D5,1)' I was wondering if there was a way to tag on a formula that based on if its a week day it would show the number of work hours (in this case 8) and if it was a weekend day it would show an...
  5. Computer Not Restarting Outside of Active Hours Build 1909

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Not Restarting Outside of Active Hours Build 1909: Guys, Ever since build 1803, I have had intermittent issues with my computer not restarting once Active Hours have ended. My Active Hours are set from 7AM to 1 AM, and around Patch Tuesday, or a day or so later, I correctly get a notice in Action Center that my PC needs to...
  6. Why Are Restarts Outside of Active Hours so Unpredictable?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why Are Restarts Outside of Active Hours so Unpredictable?: Greetings All, I have had really bad frustrations with the unpredictability of Focus Assist and Active Hours ever since build 1809 on Windows 10 and this has now carried over on two PC’s; a Dell Desktop and a Toshiba Laptop. Here are some observations for the Microsoft...
  7. Windows Permanently Requesting to Restart Outside of Active Hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Permanently Requesting to Restart Outside of Active Hours: For a few months now my laptop has been incessantly informing me that it will restart outside of active hours to finish installing updates. The problem? The updates fail to install every time, no matter how many restarts it attempts. Given how annoying the occasional...
  8. Log in data mandatory outside the Active hours?

in Windows 10 Support
    Log in data mandatory outside the Active hours?: My system is set to skip the login screen and has the Active hours set to 08:00~17:00. Yesterday I checked for updates and there were only Windows Defender definition updates. I used the PC from 10:00 until around 18:00 and there was no warning about Windows updates. So I...
  9. How do I disable outside-active-hours restarting?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I disable outside-active-hours restarting?: I hate this "feature" of Windows deciding to restart my computer without my permission, just because it feels like it. Not only do I run a web server on my PC, but I also have many open documents at times, plenty of which I don't save. That doesn't mean I don't need the...
  10. My weekly Windows 10 Back up - is taking HOURS and HOURS to complete-

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    My weekly Windows 10 Back up - is taking HOURS and HOURS to complete-: Have been using windows back up - Windows 10 for sometime. Recently bought a larger 3TB drive and started a new back up. Up until recently - the weekly incremental back ups were completed in 10 minutes - although last weeks took quite a bit longer - several hours. Today - It...