Windows 10: Restoration of Windows 10 System Image failed etc.

Discus and support Restoration of Windows 10 System Image failed etc. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My version of Windows 10 Pro 64bit 10.0.19042 Build19042. Did a system image backup torestore it to a brand new 1TB HDD. When the restoration was near... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WingWong2, Feb 17, 2021.

1. WingWong2 Win User

Restoration of Windows 10 System Image failed etc.

My version of Windows 10 Pro 64bit 10.0.19042 Build19042. Did a system image backup torestore it to a brand new 1TB HDD. When the restoration was near finish I gotthe message that the restoration failed with the error code 0x80070057. The system repair disk I used was created onthe same PC immediately after finishing the image backup.

I thought perhaps doing a sfc /scannow will correct the situation. It didn't work. I got the error message “WindowsResource Protection could not perform the requested operation”. Same error message when I tried doing it in safe mode.

Similarly, I tried DISM. I got the error message “The WOF driver encountered acorruption in the compressed file's Resource Table."
    Next stop, I did a CHKDISK with the parameters /f /r/x. Chkdsk completed but no information on the state of the files checked. I thought I could use a Windows 10 installationmedia to repair any corrupt files. Down loaded the latest ISO file using MediaCreation Tool and burnt it on a dual layer DVD media. I booted from the newly created DVD mediaand selected Repair Your Computer/Advance Options/Command Prompt. From CMD Itried to run SFC offline in the same PC and on another PC with the following syntax:

Sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\windowswhere X is either C: or F: where the drive letter where Windows10 in installed.

Same error message “Windows Resource Protection could not perform therequested operation”.

As a last resort, Itried to repair Windows using the installation media that I used above. I did ain place installation without losing my data and apps. I had previously triedupgrading this PC online but I got the same result as doing a in place installation. Onboth occasions everything went well only when the updating process hadcompleted I have the message “ Undoing changes made to your computer”. My PCrebooted to one as before the update with the message “The installation failed in theSecond_Boot phase with an error during PRE_OOBE operation” with the error code0x80070428-0x4001E. So, what was going on ?

I had explored every avenue for the last 4 days but nothing seems to work.

:)

WingWong2, Feb 17, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Restoration of Windows 10 System Image failed etc. [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Feb 17, 2021
  3. System image restore fails

I'm replacing the hard drive on my laptop since my original is full.

1. Using Windows' Backup and Restore, I created a system image.

2. Since I do not have a DVD drive, I created a Windows 10 install media (here) directly to a USB.

3. I boot up using the USB and attempt to restore the image.

I receive the following error -

Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer is using EFI.

It's the same machine. I tried the same steps listed in this Microsoft Community question

here
    . Didn't work.

1. I went into the BIOS and disabled Legacy Support so it would boot up in UEFI.

2. And vice versa, re-enabled it.

3. Tried it with Secure Boot disabled as well.

I'm not understanding why this is happening as everything has been done on the same laptop.

Any ideas before I have to go out and purchase third party imaging/restore software?

Thanks.

Eddie Ponce 1, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Are you trying to restore the system image or create a system image?
    • Are you able to see the external drive in File Explorer?
    • Could you please briefly explain the procedure that you are following to initiate a system image restore?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the articles on
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
    and

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device
    created by Andre Da Costa.

Please reply with the detailed information, to help you in a better way.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Restoration of Windows 10 System Image failed etc. - Similar Threads - Restoration System Image

2. Windows 10 system image restore failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 system image restore failed: I am in a bit of a pickle. After the latest failed attempt to upgrade my system from W10 to W11 I got a boot\BCD error. I have a recent system image but when I try to re-image using a W10 install USB I receive the error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The...
  3. Windows 10 system image restore failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 system image restore failed: I am in a bit of a pickle. After the latest failed attempt to upgrade my system from W10 to W11 I got a boot\BCD error. I have a recent system image but when I try to re-image using a W10 install USB I receive the error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The...
  4. Windows 10 system image restore failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System image restore failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System image restore failed: Hi guys,I don't know if someone have problem like mine, because from what I can search, there may be almost similar issue but none of the solution works for me so if you guys have any idea, please help meContext: I am upgrading my HP laptop by adding a new SSD disk 240gb for...
  6. System image restore failed

System image restore failed: Hi guys,I don't know if someone have problem like mine, because from what I can search, there may be almost similar issue but none of the solution works for me so if you guys have any idea, please help meContext: I am upgrading my HP laptop by adding a new SSD disk 240gb for...
  7. System image fails to restore image.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System image fails to restore image.: I am trying to restore a system image on my computer but I cannot understand why it keeps failing. Previously I had no problems in restoring a system image. The following error message is displayed instead: “The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  8. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  9. System image restore fails

System image restore fails: I'm replacing the hard drive on my laptop since my original is full. 1. Using Windows' Backup and Restore, I created a system image. 2. Since I do not have a DVD drive, I created a Windows 10 install media (here) directly to a USB. 3. I boot up using the USB and attempt...
  10. System Image Restore Fail

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Restore Fail: Hi All, I had to wind my OS back to windows 7 using recovery media because a system image I created with the backup and restore tool in windows 10 failed to restore. The system image was on an external hdd but it could not be found when plugged into a USB port. I'll...