Windows 10: Restore a Previous "Known Good" configuration?

Discus and support Restore a Previous "Known Good" configuration? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi Forum Folke, Well, I installed/ran a program recommended to me by a friend who's always reliable in his assessment of software... but this time I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by kharrisma, May 31, 2019.

1. kharrisma Win User

Restore a Previous "Known Good" configuration?

Hi Forum Folke,

Well, I installed/ran a program recommended to me by a friend who's always reliable in his assessment of software... but this time I think he might have goofed.

I downloaded & installed & ran AML Free Registry Cleaner, hoping to correct slowdown issues. My virus scanner detected nothing wrong with it, so I went ahead and let it do it's thing.

During initial Windows 10 setup, I opted to use a PIN # to log in. I'd get a pretty picture, hit "Enter," enter my PIN#, and after a short delay I'm at my desktop. Now, however, there's a strange 'glitch' in my login procedure: I still get the pretty picture, but when I hit "Enter," it dims about 25%, and there's a loooooong pause, and then instead of the PIN login screen, I'm back at the "pretty picture" screen again. Hit "Enter" and again the picture dims and there's the delay, but then comes back with the PIN login screen. Enter PIN, and I'm at the desktop.

Even though I found nothing online that was negative about this program, and my virus scanner didn't flag anything, I'm suspicious of the behavior, and I certainly don't like the extra delay in getting to my home screen anyway. I'm concerned that something might have been loaded into the system (like a keystroke logger or something like that) that would compromise my security; I don't dare log into my bank account until I get this resolved.

I've already uninstalled it, and used Regedit to search for any instances of "AML" or "aml" or "Aml," but all I found were Microsoft-related programs with "aml" as part of a longer string, so it appears to be well and truly gone... but there's that nagging login change/delay.

I'd like to roll back to a last known good configuration that pre-dates the installation of this program, but I'm having trouble locating this option; some sources say it's been deleted, others say it's still there, but you have to really drill down to find it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to go about doing this?

Thanks!!

:)

kharrisma, May 31, 2019
  2. CarolLJ Win User

Last known good configuration as a boot option - windows 10

That'd be like trying to reprogram Windows. Restore a Previous "Known Good" configuration? :) You can't undo "Last Known Good Configuration" either.

CarolLJ, May 31, 2019
  3. Cybot Win User
    Last known good configuration as a boot option - windows 10

Windows XP - 7 have a emergency boot option called "Last Known Good Configuration" this feature sometimes allows windows to boot correctly when it suddenly starts having boot issues that are registry based. Windows 8/8.1 and 10 have this feature disabled.
    I have encountered multiple times issues where this feature would have been of tremendous help in windows 10. fortunately, It has not been removed, only turned off.

I followed the guide here to turn it back on.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-restore-the-last-known-good-configuration-feature-in-windows-8-1/

but the guide has you using the legacy boot menu to access the boot option. I would prefer to use the newer boot menu to access the option. I am not that familiar with how to modify the newer boot menu options, so I came here to ask. Is there a way to add
    the 'Last know good configuration' boot option to the new boot menu, preferably, where it belongs, in the advanced startup options?

Cybot, May 31, 2019
  4. mtroxel Win User

Previous versions of files in restore point

Searched, didn't see this one.

One of the most useful features of Win 7 was when you could pull a previous version of a file out of the restore point. But now when I go to configure a system restore it isn't listed as an option as it was in 7. However, in a context menu on any file it still lists it as an option. Is this just gone or a huge bug?

mtroxel, May 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Restore a Previous "Known Good" configuration? - Similar Threads - Restore Previous Known

2. How to end the Last Known Good Configuration mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to end the Last Known Good Configuration mode: Hello. I've started my windows on Last Known Good Configuration mode. And now I can't get it back to normal no matter how many times I restarted and chose "start normaly". It's windows 7 and it's been crushing a lot lately. Many times the blue screen error interrupted my work...
  3. How to end the Last Known Good Configuration mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to end the Last Known Good Configuration mode: Hello. I've started my windows on Last Known Good Configuration mode. And now I can't get it back to normal no matter how many times I restarted and chose "start normaly". It's windows 7 and it's been crushing a lot lately. Many times the blue screen error interrupted my work...
  4. How do I reset Home Display Configuration if Display is not recognizing both known good...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reset Home Display Configuration if Display is not recognizing both known good...: Windows 10 - Multiple External displays with HP EliteBook 840 G5 laptopWork 3 Extended Displays working FineHome 2 Extended Displays Not Recognizing both good monitors both setups using smae model docking stations - How do I reset Home Display Configuration if Display is not...
  5. How do I reset Home Display Configuration if Display is not recognizing both known good...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reset Home Display Configuration if Display is not recognizing both known good...: Windows 10 - Multiple External displays with HP EliteBook 840 G5 laptopWork 3 Extended Displays working FineHome 2 Extended Displays Not Recognizing both good monitors both setups using smae model docking stations - How do I reset Home Display Configuration if Display is not...
  6. How do I reset Home Display Configuration if Display is not recognizing both known good...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows didn't start normally, on safe mode and even Last Known Good Configuration too. How...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows didn't start normally, on safe mode and even Last Known Good Configuration too. How...: In March 16 at 9:29 AM, I turned on my PC and it didn't start normally unlike yesterday. But the keyboard num lock lit up and still stuck on the startup screen. So I turned it off and tried safe mode, but it also didn't startup but lit up the num lock on my keyboard. I'm in...
  8. Is last known good configuration still available in windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is last known good configuration still available in windows 10 ?: So someone was is having WiFi adapter issue. The tech took the user to Bios setting and performed last known good configuration. I thought that option is no longer available on windows 10 submitted by /u/coolguy090 [link] [comments]...
  9. Database of known good Microsoft file hashes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Database of known good Microsoft file hashes?: As a follow-up to the person who asked "Why doesn't Microsoft code sign hxtsr.exe?": Is there a database where one can lookup the SHA-256 hash of legitimate versions of that file? It would be sweet if there was a powershell command like: get-msfilecheck -name hxtsr.exe...
  10. Restoring good text

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring good text: Hi, I have a screen capture program called Kleptomania (by Structurise software). When you select an area of text it copies it to the clipboard. Normally the text changes to a rougher, thin-like appearance and reverts back to normal when you're finished. However Kleptomainia...