Windows 10: restore all minimize windows, shortcut not working

Discus and support restore all minimize windows, shortcut not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, After doing "win d" to show the desktop, I want to restore all the windows. The key is supposed to be "win shift m", but it does not work.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by trogne, Feb 11, 2018.

1. trogne Win User

restore all minimize windows, shortcut not working

Hi,

After doing "win d" to show the desktop, I want to restore all the windows.

The key is supposed to be "win shift m", but it does not work.

How can I restore all minimized windows using a shortcut ?

Patrick

:)

trogne, Feb 11, 2018

2. If you have several minimized applications [which were NOT minimized with the Windows logo key +M], then the Windows logo key +Shift+M will not restore all the minimized applications.

<Original title:
    Keyboard shortcut bug>

Windows logo key
    restore all minimize windows, shortcut not working [​IMG]
    +Shift+M does not work consistently.

If you have several minimized applications [which were
    NOT minimized with the Windows logo key
    +M],
    then the Windows logo key
    +Shift+M will not restore all the minimized applications
    (as per the documentation).

In other words, Windows logo key
    +Shift+M ONLY works if
    you had previously used Windows logo key
    +M.

It seems to me that Windows logo key
    +Shift+M should restore
    ALL minimized applications, no matter how they were minimized.

Another problem exists when minimizing using Windows Logo + down arrow, the mazimizing using Windows logo + Up arrow. This ONLY works if you
    DON'T let go of the Windows Logo key between these shortcuts.

I suppose these were designed the way these shortcuts work now. But they could use improvement...

Someone in MS software QC should check all shortcut functionality.

DieterKurtz, Feb 11, 2018
  3. Keyboard shortcut (win+m) in WIN 7 minimized all active windows in the screen that the cursor was at that tim

A search on "windows 10 keyboard shortcuts" yields

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/keyboard-shortcuts

WindowsLogo + M is still listed as "minimize all windows"

It still works that way in Windows 10 for me.

Cbarnhorst, Feb 11, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

win shift m and win d both work on mine to restore all minimised windows- that's just pressing the keys.

Are you saying that if you press win shift m nothing happens? Has it been reassigned perhaps?

You could create a shortcut to a script (autohotkey e.g.) that 'Sends' Win Shift m.

dalchina, Feb 11, 2018
  5. trogne Win User
    Not reassigned.

"win shift m" is not working on both of my Win 10 pc.

"win d" works, but for all windows.

If I only minimize 2 windows, I want to use "win shift m" to bring back those 2 windows.

trogne, Feb 11, 2018
  6. trogne Win User
    I notice "win shift m" sometimes works after a "win d".
    But it always fail to work after minimizing some windows one by one.

For exemple : minimizing notepad, then hit "win shift m" : nothing happens.

trogne, Feb 12, 2018
  7. Farvatten Win User
    Similar to the OP, on both my pc's, after doing "win + d" to show the desktop, the "win + shift + m" does not restore the windows that were present before.

If however I have 2 windows on my desktop open for example and I press 'win + m', both are minimized and 'win + shift + m' will restore only those two consistently.

Not sure if that is the solution you were looking for.

Of note: I found it's critical to press the "win" + "shift" down well before the the "m" otherwise it appears to wipe out the memory of what it just minimized and any subsequent "win + shift + m" does nothing.

Also worth noting, I do have Autohotkeys running in the background but no "win" keys have ever been programmed.

Farvatten, Feb 12, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Agreed.. (I tried it previously after Win D to minimise all). Not one I've been in the habit of using.

dalchina, Feb 12, 2018
  9. trogne Win User
    I know understand.

"win shift m" cannot be used to restore all minimized windows.

"win m" is minimizing all windows. Then "win shift m" will restore them.

So I don't see the difference between "win m" and "win d".

So it seems not possible to only minimize some windows (not all), and do a shortcut to restore all of them.

trogne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. restore all minimize windows, shortcut not working - Similar Threads - restore minimize shortcut

2. How to Minimize All Windows and Keep Them Minimized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Minimize All Windows and Keep Them Minimized: So, I'm a fan of the minimize all button on the bottom-right, probably one of the only explorer features from Windows 7 8? that I actually like lol, but here's what annoys me about it. If you minimize all and then open a window, it will always bring up all the windows that...
  3. Is there a shortcut to restore all ever minimized windows?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a shortcut to restore all ever minimized windows?: When I have several windows open on a workspace I happen to minimize some of them at different times. Win+Shift+D only restores the last minimized window and I cannot find a way to restore all of the other minimized windows at once. Win+Homex2 is not functional on my Surface...
  4. Searching for a Windows shortcut, or add-on, to Minimize a window in 1 keyboard shortcut.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for a Windows shortcut, or add-on, to Minimize a window in 1 keyboard shortcut.: Does anyone know of a windows shortcut that will minimize the current window with a single keyboard shortcut? Windows Key + Down will take a maximized window, take it to a smaller size, THEN minimize it. I was wondering if there was a single key combination to go from...
  5. Restore minimized window to a specific screen?

Restore minimized window to a specific screen?: submitted by /u/ubermaan [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/je8tsa/restore_minimized_window_to_a_specific_screen/
  6. Shortcut to directly minimize current window to Taskbar?

Shortcut to directly minimize current window to Taskbar?: I am using Windows 10 and would like to find a keyboard shortcut that I can macro to my mouse to minimize the current window I am looking at. I have tried windows + down but if the window is already maximized, this does not seem to work (you have to press it twice). Also, if...
  7. minimize restore not working on surface pro 4

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    minimize restore not working on surface pro 4: Minimize isn't working on any screen, so I can't utilize the multi screen feature. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/minimize-restore-not-working-on-surface-pro-4/43c2cb24-e7d1-4c28-8313-0c8e70b5b1e9
  8. Restore, Minimize and Close buttons not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Restore, Minimize and Close buttons not working in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]One of the most annoying issue on a Windows 10 computer would be the one where the Restore, Minimize, and Close buttons not working. In this case, the buttons on the right side of the title bar do not respond [...] This post Restore, Minimize and Close...
  9. Minimized windows don't restore properly

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Minimized windows don't restore properly: When I minimize windows to the taskbar they don't all restore properly. They restore off screen and are resized to their smallest size. Like this: [img] I have an old program that centers almost any open window even some minimized ones. Which is the reason I know what's...
  10. Minimize programs and restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Minimize programs and restore: Another problem I'm finding with 10 is as follows. With 7 it was easy to minimize an open program. It disappeared to Explorer and could be clicked on and restored. Under 10 you can minimize, but only the first one is recognized. If you minimized a second program it supplants...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. maximize restore down not working