Windows 10: Restore an existing windows 10 system image not to the old failing HDD but to a new SSD

Discus and support Restore an existing windows 10 system image not to the old failing HDD but to a new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, it's really frustrating that Microsoft makes things so unideal and tough for us users. The new SSD is connected to the computer through a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Thomas Jr, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Thomas Jr Win User

Restore an existing windows 10 system image not to the old failing HDD but to a new SSD

Hi, it's really frustrating that Microsoft makes things so unideal and tough for us users.

The new SSD is connected to the computer through a USB 3.0 to SATA cable, so right now it's external. My computer still runs using the old failing HDD, so I need to get this done asap.

I have a windows system image windows 7 type backup, and the reason I need to use it is cause I can't clone the old disk using Minitoolsince the old HDD has bad sectors, and the disk cloning fails in Minitool.

So, the plan B is to take the existing system image and send it to the new SSD disk. Ideally, I should be able to take that image and write to the new SSD drive which is connected using a USB 3.0 to SATA cable. Again, cloning the disks using this same connection doesn't work because the current HDD has bad sectors and I get a festival of errors, when it tries to clone the disk.

Now, what are my options? Notice I don't need help with getting access to the recovery utilities or BIOS, I know how to do that, so you please skip that part:

1 Can I force Windows to give me the option of the new SSD upon recovery, although it's external? It appears to only let me restore the image to the old failing HDD. Perhaps if I disable/dismount the disk 0 the old failing HDD with Diskpart? Would it work if I issue the offline command in Diskpart to disable the old HDD using the Cmd/Dos utility?

2 Is there any software that would allow me to place the windows 10 system image onto the SSD connected to the computer with the USB to SATA cable, while the computer is still up and running?

3 Perhaps some other better solution?

:)

Thomas Jr, Oct 10, 2020
  2. Andre Da Costa, Oct 10, 2020
  3. How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device

Just tried restoring a WIN 10 backup (made from 500gb SSD to 1TB SSD) get the message " the system image restore failed the parameter is incorrect 0x80070057"

• Apparently it is not possible to restore to a different SSD using WIN 10 backup and restore

TomWalsh14, Oct 10, 2020
  4. Restore an existing windows 10 system image not to the old failing HDD but to a new SSD

System Image on new SSD

Recently my HDD failed in my laptop, I had previously created a system image on an external hard drive and a repair disk on a DVD. I created the system image in a subfolder of the external drive as it contains multiple system images for different computers.
    I have a new SSD that I am installing in place of my failed HDD, I have tried booting with the repair disk and recovering my system image to the new SSD without success, and just tried using AOMEI partition assistant but from what I can see, this software
    only installs current OS onto new SSD. I am using a second laptop and want to transfer/recover the system image from my external drive to the new SSD, any ideas on using AOMEI, other software, or figuring out how to properly do this using Windows recovery?

thecreator159, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

Restore an existing windows 10 system image not to the old failing HDD but to a new SSD

1. Restore an existing windows 10 system image not to the old failing HDD but to a new SSD - Similar Threads - Restore existing system

2. Windows 10 system image restore failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 system image restore failed: I am in a bit of a pickle. After the latest failed attempt to upgrade my system from W10 to W11 I got a boot\BCD error. I have a recent system image but when I try to re-image using a W10 install USB I receive the error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The...
  3. Windows 10 system image restore failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 system image restore failed: I am in a bit of a pickle. After the latest failed attempt to upgrade my system from W10 to W11 I got a boot\BCD error. I have a recent system image but when I try to re-image using a W10 install USB I receive the error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The...
  4. Windows 10 system image restore failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  6. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  7. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

8. Copy an existing windows 10 system image not on the old failing HDD but to a new SSD

Copy an existing windows 10 system image not on the old failing HDD but to a new SSD: Hi, it's really frustrating that Microsoft makes things so unideal and tough for us users. The new SSD is connected to the computer through a USB 3.0 to SATA cable, so right now it's external. My computer still runs using the old failing HDD, so I need to get this done...
  9. Restoring HDD image to SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring HDD image to SSD: I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management,...
  10. Windows 10 System Image Restore Fails On a New SSHD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 System Image Restore Fails On a New SSHD: Windows 10 x64 Pro system 1 TB HDD failed. Replaced with Seagate 2 TB SSHD drive. System Image Restore failed at the end with error - The Parameter is Incorrect error code 0x80070057. Tried rerunning restore and now I get error - Element not found 0x80070015. Is there...