Windows 10: Restore and Shadow Copy

Discus and support Restore and Shadow Copy in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; What is the difference between System Restore and Shadow Copy? I am familiar with the first, but only came across references to the second recently.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by clayto, Jul 12, 2016.

1. clayto Win User

Restore and Shadow Copy

What is the difference between System Restore and Shadow Copy? I am familiar with the first, but only came across references to the second recently.

:)

clayto, Jul 12, 2016

2. Lost the entire directory

It basically explains itself if you test ride the 3 apps, which apparently you haven't yet done. By comparing ShadowCopyView and SystemRestoreExplorer you get to see the connection between Restore Points and Shadow Copies. Shadow Copies are the result
    of creating Restore Points and are snapshots (backups) of your drive at the time of the restore point. ShadowCopyView shows all shadow copies all at once and lets you explore each of them. SystemRestoreExplorer shows the restore points and allows you to mount
    them and open with File Explorer and you find that they actually do the same thing but using different methods. Apparently ShadowCopyView also allows to open a shadow copy with File Explorer but that currently fails.

BeefRWijker, Jul 12, 2016
  3. system backup

No. A system image and shadow copy are two distinctly different things.

LMFAO. Are you for real. You are a total clown boy!

Here, go to backup and restore, click on create a system image. when it is done backing up, it shows creating a shadow copy, copying the back up to "create the system image files".

So even Microsoft has you select to create an image and then shows creating a shadow copy.

HILARIOUS.

seahawks65, Jul 12, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Restore and Shadow Copy

One way of thinking about this in W10 is to consider System restore points as being a shadow copy of the system files while File History is a shadow copy of the Document and Pictures and other user folders that you can select within the File History settings.

philc43, Jul 13, 2016
Thema:

Restore and Shadow Copy

1. Restore and Shadow Copy - Similar Threads - Restore Shadow Copy

2. Shadow copy and SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shadow copy and SSD: Hello.I have an ASUS ROG with an internal ssd and a internal hdd that i use as storage.A few months ago i install O&O defrag.When try to use trim command appears a message to disable shadow copiescreation of restore points because decrease the life time of ssd!!!Is that...
  3. shadow copy storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shadow copy storage: i have to resize shadow copy size.what commands do i need?i tried vssadmin.. this did not work.this needed for create a system image. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-copy-storage/02922a1c-fc7a-42de-bd1d-a2f882196c08
  4. shadow copy storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shadow copy storage: i have to resize shadow copy size.what commands do i need?i tried vssadmin.. this did not work.this needed for create a system image. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-copy-storage/02922a1c-fc7a-42de-bd1d-a2f882196c08
  5. Shadow copy auditing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Shadow copy auditing: Hi There,I need a way for auditing shadow copy creation/deletion/restoration events. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-copy-auditing/b1b5734d-245b-4b07-8cb3-8196bc7f46ba
  6. System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc: Hi, New Windows 10 user here. Have Googled/Binged around and still a bit puzzled about this. So, System Restore is defaulted to "Off" in Windows 10. I understand some of the reasons for this, but still find it a useful tool. I left it like that, since it's still fresh and...
  7. Restore points not saving shadow copies of files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore points not saving shadow copies of files: I read that restore points save files and on the user's profile that you may restore later if you delete or edit them. I've been testing this and couldn't see it working. Am I missing something? Example: - I created a restore point then edited a file in my...
  8. Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points: I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application. I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point...
  9. Restore Point and Shadow Copy

Restore Point and Shadow Copy: Cannot create a Restore Point and cannot create a shadow copy for backup. Are the two related? How can I resolve these issues? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point-and-shadow-copy/566c838a-0490-45a4-9490-3ee22a860661
  10. Shadow Copy Windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shadow Copy Windows10: Hello, I update to 18860 Insider build, before that I was able to see my shadow copies in "Previous version" tab in every folder. But latest build loose my task schedules, can you help, what is right command to enable shadow copies again and show on "Previous version"?...