Windows 10: restore data drive after windows tried to install win 10 on it

Discus and support restore data drive after windows tried to install win 10 on it in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, is possible to restore a data drive that win 10 tried to perform an installation on? Here is the scenario, Win 7 was EOL so i purchased Win 10 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dczinda, Aug 22, 2020.

1. dczinda Win User

restore data drive after windows tried to install win 10 on it

Hi, is possible to restore a data drive that win 10 tried to perform an installation on? Here is the scenario, Win 7 was EOL so i purchased Win 10 and a brand new drive. When i went to install the op system i assumed it would ask me what drive to install it on as i had 2 other HD's previously connected as data drives only, 3 total. Wrong assumption, it just started installing win 10 on one of the drives. When i noticed it started the install without confirming which drive to install it on I immediately shut down the PC completely within 5 seconds or there about. I removed the other data drives so that it would now be guaranteed to install on the new one that i had intended. After a successful install of win 10 I put the other 2 data drives back in. One of them with a bunch of old family videos will not register as a drive anymore as during the 5 seconds or so when win 10 tried to install on that drive it wiped out the directory of something. Now i can't access this drive. Is there a way to restore the data drive or at least get the family vids/data off of it? Thanks.

Regards,

dczinda

:)

dczinda, Aug 22, 2020
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Aug 22, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 22, 2020
  4. restore data drive after windows tried to install win 10 on it

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

restore data drive after windows tried to install win 10 on it

1. restore data drive after windows tried to install win 10 on it - Similar Threads - restore data drive

2. Restoring files on a USB flash drive after installing Win 10 64bit drivers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring files on a USB flash drive after installing Win 10 64bit drivers: Hello, today I decided to update my Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit version. I installed the drivers on a pendrive with other files. After installing these drivers, these files disappeared. My question is whether there is an option to recover these files from this flash drive....
  3. Restoring files on a USB flash drive after installing Win 10 64bit drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring files on a USB flash drive after installing Win 10 64bit drivers: Hello, today I decided to update my Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit version. I installed the drivers on a pendrive with other files. After installing these drivers, these files disappeared. My question is whether there is an option to recover these files from this flash drive....
  4. Restoring files on a USB flash drive after installing Win 10 64bit drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. win 11 crashed after tried to restore to a previous restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 11 crashed after tried to restore to a previous restore point: To whom can helpI upgraded win 11 from my win10 one month ago. Today I tried to restore my disk to the previous restore point which the system created last week after the windows upgrading. However, it failed and the system crashed. I tried to reset the system, and it asked...
  6. win 11 crashed after tried to restore to a previous restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win 11 crashed after tried to restore to a previous restore point: To whom can helpI upgraded win 11 from my win10 one month ago. Today I tried to restore my disk to the previous restore point which the system created last week after the windows upgrading. However, it failed and the system crashed. I tried to reset the system, and it asked...
  7. 2 data drives disappeared after restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 data drives disappeared after restore: I decided after many years I’d finally reset my laptop to factor settings and so after removing all that was needed I did the restore option that completely wiped all drives. After a long wait it restarted and did the windows 10 setup, but now I only have my OS drive and D...
  8. Win 10 on SSD - Data on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 on SSD - Data on 2nd drive: Hi All I know there have been variants on this topic and a few Q's and A's answered within threads, but I was just wondering how many people have recently used an affordable SSD (256GB-ish) with a large spinny HD for storage. All I want to do is keep the OS and progs on the...
  9. restore win 10 after reset

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    restore win 10 after reset: My Win10 activation keys are not in my Microsoft account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-win-10-after-reset/19a4768d-b3e9-48a6-8cd9-5b1196905789"
  10. trying to install Win 10 after earlier installation failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    trying to install Win 10 after earlier installation failed: Had Windows 10 working on a dual-boot disk with PCLOS. Something happened to Win 10 and it would not connect to the Ethernet anymore. Tried several times to "reset" it, finally gave up. Looked at disk with GParted and whole partition was empty! The original Win 10 was an...