Windows 10: Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

Discus and support Restore Disc Image for new System Drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by FUState, Nov 5, 2020.

1. FUState Win User

Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

Background
    Old HDD is running Windows 10.
    Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive.
    Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD.

My uncertainty:
    It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want to make sure since the drive looks like it is split into 3 partitions.
    Query - I selected all 3 partitions when I ran Macrium to Image. Hopefully that is right.

My issue:
    I plugged in the new SSD, but it is not showing up in Disc Management. Do I need to do something in Bios for the new SSD to show up? (see same attached)

:)

FUState, Nov 5, 2020
  2. fg2001 Win User

0x80042302 error in restoring system image to a new disc

This is a bug in the Microsoft restore image with any system using EFI.

It only works if you restore on the same disk without checking the reformat option.

When trying to restore on a new drive it fails with error 0X80042302.

Microsoft needs to fix this bug, but they are not putting any effort on it.

The suggestions about using third party programs are not acceptable.

A disaster recovery Image restore is a basic function that any decent operating system must have in working condition.

fg2001, Nov 5, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Are you trying to restore the system image or create a system image?
    • Are you able to see the external drive in File Explorer?
    • Could you please briefly explain the procedure that you are following to initiate a system image restore?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the articles on
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
    and

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device
    created by Andre Da Costa.

Please reply with the detailed information, to help you in a better way.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 5, 2020
  4. FUState Win User

Background
    Old HDD is running Windows 10.
    Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive.
    Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD.

My uncertainty:
    It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want to make sure since the drive looks like it is split into 3 partitions.
    Query - I selected all 3 partitions when I ran Macrium to Image. Hopefully that is right.

My issue:
    I plugged in the new SSD, but it is not showing up in Disc Management. Do I need to do something in Bios for the new SSD to show up? (see same attached)

FUState, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive - Similar Threads - Restore Disc Image

2. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  3. Problem restoring system image to new SSD C drive

Problem restoring system image to new SSD C drive: Hi XPS 8920 Desktop Win 10 pro with SSD C drive and normal D drive Dell said they will send a tech to me to change the SSD. Not waking up after sleep mode. The old SSD still worked so I used Windows Backup to save a system image onto an ext HD. The Tech installed the...
  4. Restore System Image to new NVMe drive

Restore System Image to new NVMe drive: Subject about says it all. After I get my PC and Win 10 to recognize the new drive will a basic System Restore to the new drive succeed? Old SSD and new NVMe both about 500 gig. About 175 gig free on old SSD. Thanks, Terry...
  5. No available drive for restore system image

No available drive for restore system image: My hard drive crashed. I bought a new one, used a bootable USB to restore a system image and got the error message. I searched online and received many options. Tried them all to no avail. I reinstalled Win 10 Pro and tried to do it again. No luck. What am I missing?...
  6. Restore from system image, no system repair disc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore from system image, no system repair disc: I have an HP laptop running windows 10. The screen was badly broken so I sent it to HP to be repaired. They recommended that I backup my files beforehand because they may need to completely reset the computer. So I created a system image on an external SSD of mine. I now...
  7. Restore system image without system repair disc

Restore system image without system repair disc: Hello. I've created a system image and was trying to restore it. I did not have a blank disc, so I did not create a system repair disk. I got into Advanced startup > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Image Recovery After selecting the system image, the computer...
  8. System image / recovery disc

System image / recovery disc: In windows 10 how to I create a disc that can reinstall Windows and applications. I do not know if it is called a system image disc or a recovery disc. I want to be able to reload everything in the event of a disc failure....
  9. System Image Backup and Repair Disc on same drive

System Image Backup and Repair Disc on same drive: Dear Sirs- I am running Windows 10 Home Edition on an Acer E5 laptop. I just created a System Image Backup on an external hard drive (Seagate Slim 2 GB). I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any help! Upon successful completion of the image backup, I...
  10. How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?

How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?: How to restore a Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive? Re-ask: I want to shift my operating system to a new disk. I have the system image on an external HDD. I have the new disk installed in the computer. C: is disk 0 and the new disk is disk 1. the new disk is...