Windows 10: Restore does not indicate correct drive for source of restore

Discus and support Restore does not indicate correct drive for source of restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have recently had to re-install Windows 10 and had problems before so decided this time to do a clean install and then run the system image backup.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MacNala, Dec 15, 2015.

1. MacNala Win User

Restore does not indicate correct drive for source of restore

I have recently had to re-install Windows 10 and had problems before so decided this time to do a clean install and then run the system image backup. This went well but when it came to the testing of the restore a problem arose. I was using the Repair Disc created after the system image backup completed and could not understand the source file indicated was not where I had put the backup.
    The restore said the file was on the C: drive which was what I was trying to restore to.
    I repeated the whole process and took screenshots (photos) of the steps. These photos can be seen on dropbox or onedrive links to those interested (not posted here).

Has anyone seen this before and is there a solution?

:)

MacNala, Dec 15, 2015

2. System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.

I suspect that this is indicating a read problem. I received it when for some reason System Restore tried to read for the RP (ie: restore point) from my External HDD after using that drive for a full recovery from backup. It appears to be indicating
    a problem with the RP version of \WindowsApps as the source I suspect.

This is as apposed to the error 0x80070091, which would now appear to be a
    write
    issue to the actual \WindowsApps directory as the destination.

GregoryLivingston, Dec 15, 2015
  3. File History Not Backing Up All Files in Included Folders!

I recently changed over to File History, did a couple of backups from my laptop to an external USB hard disk, and then used File Explorer to browse the File History folder on my backup drive, comparing it to a view of the source drive in another File Explorer
    window. From that comparison, it does appear that there are files missing. Comparing folder properties between File History and the source indicates a difference (in my case) of over 4000 files.

However, if I use File History to view the backup (on the Start menu, search for 'Restore your files with file history'), I am able to navigate to the folders which I thought had files missing and see the files (in my case, a very important report in Word
    2016 and a PDF file). To test, I restored them to a different location, a TEMP folder, so I could compare them with the originals. They, indeed, were exact copies of the files that I thought did not get backed up.

That being said, as we do not know Microsoft's methodology for File History, I would encourage you (and everyone else experiencing this same issue) to do the same as I did to see if your files are really not being backed up. Even choose an entire folder
    tree and restore it, then compare it to the source; or if you have a spare drive of appropriate size, do a full restore and compare it. After all, it is not how the files are stored in the backup that is important, but whether we can restore all of the files.

nonameuser, Dec 15, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Rest assured, before you know it, someone will tell you to use other "more efficient" program such as macrium reflect.

Be it as it may, I just want to share with you what I do using the built-in Windows 10 system image backup.
    I never create the Repair disk.
    When I want to run the image restore and if I am already signed in, here is what I do. It may appear lengthy but it never fails me.
    I store my system image backup in an external hard drive.
    So, first I plug in the ext. hdd.
    Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, Recovery > right side, under Advanced startup, click the Restart now button > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > system Image Recovery...................

davidhk, Dec 15, 2015
  5. MacNala Win User
    Your suggestion was incomplete as shown on the page.
    I know about Macrium I have my own preference DriveSnapshot which does everything I think Macrium does and I have been using it for years. I wanted to have a guaranteed MS way of restoring an image.

Using DriveSnapshot works and allows viewing as a drive and selecting individual files to restore.

Your answer does not answer my question.

MacNala, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Restore does not indicate correct drive for source of restore - Similar Threads - Restore does indicate

2. Does Restore Point restores storage drive configuration?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Restore Point restores storage drive configuration?: HiI just got my laptop with 512GB storage, I created a 100GB partition for installers so it is now divided into two drives, I'm planning to delete the partition once I bought a new ssd drive for files/games, My concern here is if I created a restore point on C drive now and...
  3. Does Restore Point restores storage drive configuration?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Restore Point restores storage drive configuration?: HiI just got my laptop with 512GB storage, I created a 100GB partition for installers so it is now divided into two drives, I'm planning to delete the partition once I bought a new ssd drive for files/games, My concern here is if I created a restore point on C drive now and...
  4. Does Restore Point restores storage drive configuration?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. restore drive

restore drive: I will be receiving some laptops with windows 10. After installing and running some software for testing external devices, I want to remove the software and restore the laptops to the state in which they were received.What is the process to accomplish this?...
  6. DISM restore Source error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM restore Source error: Hi guys. how can i restore these files efficiently? Ive been up for 49 hours now trying to get this thing fixed. Dism keeps failing with a source error and analyze components also fails. 2020-07-04 10:54:22, Info CSI 00000005 Hashes for file member [l:9]'3ware.sys' do not...
  7. DISM restore Source error

in Windows 10 Support
    DISM restore Source error: Hi guys. how can i restore these files efficiently? Ive been up for 49 hours now trying to get this thing fixed. Dism keeps failing with a source error and analyze components also fails. 2020-07-04 10:54:22, Info CSI 00000005 Hashes for file member [l:9]'3ware.sys' do not...
  8. restore hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    restore hard drive: How do I re-format the hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-hard-drive/d3ced27f-d6e8-419f-9b29-45fbf00daa8f
  9. DISM Restore Health "source files not found"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM Restore Health "source files not found": Forgive the redundancy with other threads on this topic, many of which I have read, with no solution... 1. Mounted the ISO from which 1703 Pro was installed. Converted the \sources\install.esd file to a .wim file. 2. Placed install.wim in D:\. 3. From an elevated CMD...
  10. Partition and drive restore

Partition and drive restore: I need some help pretty bad here; at least this time I "only" did one stupid thing- Because of a problem with 10 a tech told me to revert to 10270. I backed up everything important to my D: drive first. I did a complete formatting of C:. Then upon installing 10270 onto C:...