Windows 10: Restore Entire System Image to another computer both Surface Pro 4's

Discus and support Restore Entire System Image to another computer both Surface Pro 4's in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Need to know how I can restore an entire system image from my now "gone to heaven Surface Pro 4" to me refurbished replacement Surface Pro 4. Not that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Frank_817, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Frank_817 Win User

Restore Entire System Image to another computer both Surface Pro 4's

Need to know how I can restore an entire system image from my now "gone to heaven Surface Pro 4" to me refurbished replacement Surface Pro 4. Not that it is is critical to the task at hand, but my trusty "old" SP4 had the swelling battery problem, and I received a factory refurbished SP 4 from Microsoft.

Just prior to returning the Old SP4 to Microsoft, I created an "entire system image" backup to a network drive, and cleaned the drive of personal files. I created the system image using the "Backup and Restore Windows 7" tool. I have access to the .VHDX file that I understand contains the system image, can access from the new SP4.

I'm hoping to recover all my applications and settings.

When I try to recover this image, the new SP4 is clever enough to know the image is from a different computer, and does not want to recover the system image from the old SP4.

Is there a way to recover the system image from the old SP4 to my "new" SP 4? As I have searched, it appears there probably is a way.

Thanks,

Frank

:)

Frank_817, Jul 29, 2020

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Restoring from 1 Surface Pro 4 to another

I had a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with a cracked screen and I received a replacement. How do I clone the old Surface pro 4's disk and restore it to the replacement?

I can restore the files from the cloud but want to keep my installed programs without having to download them and hunt for keys.

***Moved from: (Surface Pro 4 / Install, update, and repair)***

SCCACAMARO, Jul 29, 2020
  4. amxl Win User

surface pro 4 win10 restore system from mobile disk.

I've backup my surface pro 4 on a mobile disk last month, it cost 100GB+ spaces. Then I sent my surface back to microsoft to repair.

Now, I want to restore my system and have got the chose system image step. It auto-find the backup file, but when I click the "next" button, it shows I need to create a CD then restart the computer.

I restart the computer and enter the uefi to set restart from the usb, but it restart as normal and enter the system directly.

so I come to here for some help, thanks for anyone could help me!

Thema:

1. Restore Entire System Image to another computer both Surface Pro 4's - Similar Threads - Restore Entire System

2. Need help restoring my surface pro 4

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help restoring my surface pro 4: So i recently got a replaceemnt unit for my pro 4, and it was working fine until an update sometime in august. I abandoned it for my wifes pro 6 but decided to try to fix it. Iv downloaded the restore image from the microsoft website and copied to a flash drive. However on...
  3. minimize restore not working on surface pro 4

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    minimize restore not working on surface pro 4: Minimize isn't working on any screen, so I can't utilize the multi screen feature. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/minimize-restore-not-working-on-surface-pro-4/43c2cb24-e7d1-4c28-8313-0c8e70b5b1e9
  4. Surface Pro 4 System Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Surface Pro 4 System Update: Surface Pro 4 System Firmware Update... 135600
  5. How to restore entire computer from a system image?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to restore entire computer from a system image?: Hello, how I can restore my entire computer from my external hard disk system image? I did created a system image (no disc or media) at left side "create a system image" option in Windows 7 backup and restore menu. I have windows 10 1809 professional I also noticed normal...
  6. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: Updates available Surface Pro 4. 57858
  7. Surface Pro 4 system update

Surface Pro 4 system update: Build 1703 o/s 15063.13 Surface system update. 81084
  8. How to transfer entire drive from Surface Pro 3 to Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to transfer entire drive from Surface Pro 3 to Surface Pro 4: Hi, How to transfer entire drive from Surface Pro 3 to Surface Pro 4. I have Win 10x64 Pro 1703 on Pro 3 and guess it will be much the same on Surface Pro 4. I have many programs and data and want a clone of what i have now on 3. I do have Acronis 2016. Thanks...
  9. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 4: Anyone else think it will run cooler than the Surface Pro 3? Anyone experienced this? 28169
  10. Surface Pro 4 system update

in Windows 10 News
    Surface Pro 4 system update: System and Firmware Update release today. See: Surface update history 75171