Windows 10: Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus?

Discus and support Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 7 saw the removal of the "Explore" item in the context menus. I know why, it was redundant, but I still would like to restore it. Here's the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Clasurol, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Clasurol Win User

Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus?

Windows 7 saw the removal of the "Explore" item in the context menus. I know why, it was redundant, but I still would like to restore it.

Here's the Recycle Bin context menu in Windows 2000:

Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus? 2sDNrz4.png

And the same context menu in W10 after a bit of editing:

Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus? tKR4WoC.png

So, any tips on how to restore that option? Tips? Suggestions? I'd really like to find out to do it, and I would appreciate any input.

Cheers.

:)

Clasurol, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Clasurol Win User

Windows 7 saw the removal of the "Explore" item in the context menus. I know why, it was redundant, but I still would like to restore it.

Here's the Recycle Bin context menu in Windows 2000:

Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus? 2sDNrz4.png

And the same context menu in W10 after a bit of editing:

Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus? tKR4WoC.png

So, any tips on how to restore that option? Advice? Suggestions? I'd really like to find out to do it, and I would appreciate any input.

Cheers. *Smile

Clasurol, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User

Copy the following, paste it into Notepad, save that as a .reg file and Merge it...

Code:
    Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus? [​IMG]

( @Brink : Again, I apologize if you already have a tutorial for this, if so, please post! *Wink )

Edwin, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Well, strictly speaking it wasn't quite the same thing. 'Open' would give an Explorer windows without a navigation pane while 'Explore' would have one.

Here's what Open vs. Explore looked like in XP (I presume Vista would look much the same). As the first thing most people (well, me anyway) did after clicking 'Open' was to click the 'Folders' button to bring up the navigation pane it was 'Open' that was redundant and was removed, with 'Explore' then renamed to Open.

If you want to find out just how annoying the old 'Open' functionality was, then you can recreate it by turning off the navigation pane in File Explorer. See how long you can last before turning it back on again *Biggrin

Thema:

1. Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus? - Similar Threads - Restore Explore Item

2. For explorer context menu, how do I restore missing new shortcut item?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    For explorer context menu, how do I restore missing new shortcut item?: For Windows 11 I performed a registry edit a month ago to restore "new" items to the explore right-click context menu. Recently I found the new shortcut item is missing. How can I restore it? Registry entries on a different machine are the same for hcr\file, hcr\folder,...
  3. For explorer context menu, how do I restore missing new shortcut item?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    For explorer context menu, how do I restore missing new shortcut item?: For Windows 11 I performed a registry edit a month ago to restore "new" items to the explore right-click context menu. Recently I found the new shortcut item is missing. How can I restore it? Registry entries on a different machine are the same for hcr\file, hcr\folder,...
  4. Explorer context menu new items are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer context menu new items are missing: Hi,I am using Windows 11 and this started happening today.When I right click, it shows the explorer right click context menu, which includes New. If I hover over that, it shows a bunch of different office apps to choose from. However, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is not in...
  5. Explorer context menu new items are missing

Explorer context menu new items are missing: Hi,I am using Windows 11 and this started happening today.When I right click, it shows the explorer right click context menu, which includes New. If I hover over that, it shows a bunch of different office apps to choose from. However, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is not in...
  6. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  7. No Full-Context Menus?

No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  8. Edit or an editor for the context menus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edit or an editor for the context menus: My context menu is a mess. Items that I never use, or apps added themselves but not wanted, and vice versa. Older apps that offer setting to be listed, no longer work function in W10 1909. I am trying to add them manually and remove those which I don't want. e.g: I have...
  9. Context Menus - (Inconsistencies)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context Menus - (Inconsistencies): If you're not keen on the 'larger' spacing on some Explorer right click context menus, or, have applied a different 'text size' and, perhaps applied 'Bold' but find that the modifications do not adhere, here's a quick Registry modification to fix that. If you are...
  10. File Explorer has two context menus

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer has two context menus: Why does File Explorer have two differ right click menus? One has arrows at the top and bottom to scroll the menu and the other one is the old style that we have always had which shows up once in awhile. 40327