Windows 10: Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

Discus and support Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’ in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; OneDrive backup moved a lot of my files to OneDrive and I’d like to put them back where they were on my laptop and go back to selectively choose which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jnon, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Jnon Win User

Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

OneDrive backup moved a lot of my files to OneDrive and I’d like to put them back where they were on my laptop and go back to selectively choose which files to store on OneDrive. things are a mess. Is there an ‘easy’ way to do this short on selecting those files one by one .

:)

2. SarahKong Win User

Backup and restore with Onedrive

I would grab that backup file from onedrive and copy to your local machine.

Then go to control panel - system and security - backup and restore.

Run a restore and point to that backup file.

SarahKong, Jun 10, 2023
  3. kernrsn Win User
    W10 Mobile Lumia 830 Backup Not Being Saved to OneDrive

Thanks Chari San,

I understand I can not see what is contained in the backup stored on OneDrive, but I should see them listed. In my case there is not one being stored at all even though the phone reports it has backed up. See screenshots from OneDrive from my phone logged
    into the same account the phone is and the backup settings page above. Without the backup on OneDrive my restored phone will lose at least call history, start screen setup and installed app list from what I have found.

Step #2 is not displayed on the new phone. (How can it restore a backup that is not on OneDrive at all). It skips over that step and I get a default install on the new phone without my call history, start page or app history. I'm not sure what else I
    might be missing but for sure at least those 3 items do not come across.

How do I resolve this issue? Suggestions?

kernrsn, Jun 10, 2023
  4. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

Use File History to Backup OneDrive Content

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

This article details how to backup OneDrive content to another storage medium using the built-in Windows backup tool File History. For more details about File History, read this page:

Restore files or folders using File History

This is valid on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1.

Details

OneDrive is a great tool for syncing and sharing files via Microsoft accounts, however, it's a syncing tool first and files can be permanently deleted. A good practice is to use File History in conjunction with OneDrive so any changes are automatically backed
    up to a different location without fear of files being deleted.

Setup OneDrive to Sync all Critical Files Worthy of Backup

Before you can backup anything in OneDrive using File History, configure it so OneDrive syncs everything to your computer:

• (Windows 10 and Windows 7) Choose the files and folders you want to sync to your computer
    • (Windows 8.1) Choose the folders and files you want to "Make Available Offline"
    Wait for OneDrive to finish syncing all content before continuing to the next step.

Setup a Drive for File History

After you configure OneDrive to sync the content you need, setup a drive to use File History:

Set up a drive for File History

Large, slow drives are ideal for File History, whether they're inside of the computer or connected via a USB on the outside. When you setup File History it should automatically backup all Library folders, OneDrive folders, and other
    common Windows folders. If you don't see your OneDrive folders, manually add them.

Once configured, File History will run on the frequency you chose and will backup your OneDrive files if there are changes; File History uses a more intelligent backup process and will only backup if it detects changes. If a file
    changes frequently, you'll see many versions, possibly a version every time File History runs, otherwise, you may see the original version if it never changes.

If you lose a file and need to restore it, follow these instructions to restore a file from File History:

Restore files or folders using File History

stanimal21, Jun 10, 2023
Thema:

Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

1. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’ - Similar Threads - Restore files OneDrive

2. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’: OneDrive backup moved a lot of my files to OneDrive and I’d like to put them back where they were on my laptop and go back to selectively choose which files to store on OneDrive. things are a mess. Is there an ‘easy’ way to do this short on selecting those files one by one ....
  3. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’: OneDrive backup moved a lot of my files to OneDrive and I’d like to put them back where they were on my laptop and go back to selectively choose which files to store on OneDrive. things are a mess. Is there an ‘easy’ way to do this short on selecting those files one by one ....
  4. Restore Files from Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Files from Backup: Hi I have some files on an external HDD which I would like to check to see what they are so when I click on the HDD a box appears asking if I want to restore files from this backup, my question is where will these files go & how do I access them. Also below in the same box it...
  5. Restore Files from Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Files from Backup: Hi I have some files on an external HDD which I would like to check to see what they are so when I click on the HDD a box appears asking if I want to restore files from this backup, my question is where will these files go & how do I access them. Also below in the same box it...
  6. A few files from backup aren't restored from backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A few files from backup aren't restored from backup: A few weeks ago I had to make a backup of my laptop, because I sent it in to be fixed. However when I restored my files from the back up, a few files I made 2-3 weeks before I sent my laptop in didnt show up, I did turn on ''show hidden items"/searched them by name in file...
  7. A few files from backup aren't restored from backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A few files from backup aren't restored from backup: A few weeks ago I had to make a backup of my laptop, because I sent it in to be fixed. However when I restored my files from the back up, a few files I made 2-3 weeks before I sent my laptop in didnt show up, I did turn on ''show hidden items"/searched them by name in file...
  8. File Backup to Onedrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Backup to Onedrive: I see Windows has backup to Onedrive, but I don't see a scheduler. Is there a built in scheduler for Windows Backup? Thanks, Dennis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-backup-to-onedrive/6023d0f3-2678-4b7b-a10f-af70ed7ad592
  9. Backup and restore with Onedrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore with Onedrive: I recently was fixing my partner's laptop drive via hooking it up to my PC. I was trying to format the laptop's drive and in the process I also formatted my P c's drive. But luckily within the last 2 weeks prior to the formatting, I was finally able to use my OneDrive...
  10. Backup and Restore Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Files: Hello and niceday to everyone. just joined this win10forum. I just finished upgrading from my win7 to this free win10Pro upgrade from microsoft, since yesterday everything works as normal and better than the previous win7. First thing I did after completing updates and...