Windows 10: Restore files to new SSD after HD crash

Discus and support Restore files to new SSD after HD crash in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have reinstalled Windows 10 on a new SSD after the hard drive crashed. My back up is on another computer but I haven't been able to restore the files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bz767, Dec 30, 2019.

1. bz767 Win User

Restore files to new SSD after HD crash

I have reinstalled Windows 10 on a new SSD after the hard drive crashed. My back up is on another computer but I haven't been able to restore the files from the backup using Windows Backup and Restore. Using Backup and Restore, when I select the backup location I can select the backup which when opened in explorer shows a folder dated the morning before the crash but I get a message that, "Windows was not able to find any backup set on..." \\[Network Location].

What can I do to get my files back?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

:)

bz767, Dec 30, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Restore files to new SSD after HD crash [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Dec 30, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Here's an easy way to do it, With your SSD connected.

1. If not already done. Create a backup image of your current Windows HD. From Macrium, click on "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows"
      NOTE: you could actually clone the disk, but create a backup then restore will allow Macrium to correctly align the cluster size and perform trimming on the new SSD.
    2. After step 1 is done, click on Restore tab, select the image from step 1 then click on Select different target disk, select the SSD as destination disk then click on Next->Finish. No need to use/boot from Rescue disk. It will be faster and Macrium will also perform trimming on the new SSD.
    3. Disconnect the HD and reboot. Windows should boot up with the new SSD.

topgundcp, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Restore files to new SSD after HD crash

Convert from HD to SSD and install to new computer

Hi Microsoft,

I have windows 10 pro and Microsoft office 365 installed at old computer.

I planed to convert The HD to SSD and than The SSD will install to new computer.

What must step/procedure be followed to successfully the installation at new computer?

Thank you.

AriefSulistyawan, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

Restore files to new SSD after HD crash

1. Restore files to new SSD after HD crash - Similar Threads - Restore files SSD

2. Windows crashes after installing new nvme ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows crashes after installing new nvme ssd.: So,Today i bought a nvme ssd from cex the uk version of gamestop to move my os onto and maybe some other games/files.After installing the ssd into my motherboard and booting up my pc i get a "Diagnosing your PC" screen. it doesnt give detail as to what the actual issue is...
  3. Windows crashes after installing new nvme ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows crashes after installing new nvme ssd.: So,Today i bought a nvme ssd from cex the uk version of gamestop to move my os onto and maybe some other games/files.After installing the ssd into my motherboard and booting up my pc i get a "Diagnosing your PC" screen. it doesnt give detail as to what the actual issue is...
  4. Windows crashes after installing new nvme ssd.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop crashing after new SSD installed.

Laptop crashing after new SSD installed.: Hello everyone, found this great forum and really hoping i can get some help. Thanks in advance! I have an ASUS N551ZU, gaming laptop from 2015. IT has been working great...overheated but great. So I installed a new SSD and put the HD in a caddy disk. Also I replaced the...
  6. FIle History cannot restore after a HD crash

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FIle History cannot restore after a HD crash: Using Win10 Pro. Had file history working. HD crashed and I had to install new copy of Win10 Pro. Now I cannot get File History to recognize the previous files from 2 days ago. when i try to use that file history it says 'Could not reassocciate with File HIstory data'. The...
  7. Windows10 SSD+HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10 SSD+HD: Nemrég sikeresen migráltam cca 800 GB-os HD partícióról egy 120 GB-os SSD-re a 18363.535-ös Windows 10-et és szerencsésen sikerült az aktiválása is. Az SSD eléggé megtelt a feltelepített programok miatt, ezért szeretném a régi merevlemez egyik partíciójára vissza migrálni az...
  8. Convert from HD to SSD and install to new computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert from HD to SSD and install to new computer: Hi Microsoft, I have windows 10 pro and Microsoft office 365 installed at old computer. I planed to convert The HD to SSD and than The SSD will install to new computer. What must step/procedure be followed to successfully the installation at new computer? Thank you....
  9. Problem with BSODs, crashes after new SSD installed

Problem with BSODs, crashes after new SSD installed: I installed a new SSD in my PC and imaged my old SSD onto it, which caused it to crash randomly on the login page, reboot randomly, run very very slowly (upwards of 5 minutes to open the start menu, for instance), and freeze a lot. I reimaged, same thing. So I did a clean...
  10. HD too SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    HD too SSD: Almost a year I updated my Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Now I would like to replace my DH with an SSD. I will make a clone of the HD to the SSD with AOMEI Backupper Professional. What about my Microsoft Windows License? Will it still be valid? thanks in advance for...