Windows 10: Restore from an SSD on a PC with disimilar hardware

Discus and support Restore from an SSD on a PC with disimilar hardware in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was in the process of process of transferring from a HDD to SSD to improve performance on my PC. The PC did not recognise the new SSD upon startup so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by O Marley, Mar 21, 2019.

1. O Marley Win User

Restore from an SSD on a PC with disimilar hardware

I was in the process of process of transferring from a HDD to SSD to improve performance on my PC. The PC did not recognise the new SSD upon startup so I simply reinstalled the HDD initially. The PC worked for a couple of days and now doesn't startup (still investigating why). I still have the SSD backup drive though and have a spare PC here to install it. The backup image was created using a basic software that came with the SSD drive from Samsung, and the new PC doesn't recognise the SSD drive. My question is, can this backup image be used on PC with disimilar hardware? I see there are programs out there to make compatible images, but I'm essentially looking for something to make my image compatible, if that's possible?

:)

O Marley, Mar 21, 2019

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Mar 21, 2019
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Windows 10 SSD Boot and Sleep faliure

Windows cannot stop the BIOS recognising the SSD. If at any time you can go into the BIOS and the SSD is not listed then you have an (intermittent) hardware fault. It does not matter what the precursor steps are if the hardware was OK it must be listed

Step 6 is categorical, you have a hardware fault. BIOS device recognition is always before drivers load so they cannot affect the process

HairyFool, Mar 21, 2019
  4. DexterG Win User

How to restore a system image backup to a hardware encrypting SSD (eDrive)

Has anyone figured out how to restore a system image backup to a hardware encrypting SSD (eDrive)? The problem I am experiencing is that I can successfully restore the system image to the SSD but hardware encryption is no longer enableable like it was before
    the backup and restore.

Here is a basic overview of the procedure: How to Restore System Image Backups on Windows 7, 8, and 10

Here are the specific steps I followed to reproduce and document this problem:

1. Install Windows 10 (1607) onto a Crucial M500 SSD eDrive.

2. Turn on Bitlocker and the C: drive is instantly encrypted on reboot.

3. Confirm hardware encryption using Manage-bde -Status.

4. Create a system image backup using the "Create a system image" command under "File History/System Image Backup" or "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" in the Control Panel.

5. Boot to a Windows thumb drive or DVD, open a command prompt and Clean the SSD using Diskpart.

6. Restore the system image backup to the SSD. Process completes successfully and Windows runs normally.

7. Re-enable Bitlocker but only software encryption is available. The hardware encryption which was working fine before the image backup and restore is now inoperative.

I have tried this several times with various changes, such as clearing the TPM, turning Bitlocker off before creating the system image, and using a 1511 version of Windows 10 instead of the 1607 version. The results are always the same.

Conclusion: System image backups of a hardware encrypted drive are unusable because the hardware encryption can never be turned on again after the image is restored to a new, or even the same, SSD.

If anyone has figured out how to make this work I would love to hear your solution!

However, I think it is currently impossible because of a bug in Bitlocker, System Image Recovery, or both. I'm hoping that someone from Microsoft will take notice of this post and address the problem, either by providing a procedure that actually works or
    by fixing the malfunctioning code in Windows.

DexterG, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Restore from an SSD on a PC with disimilar hardware - Similar Threads - Restore SSD disimilar

2. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  3. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  4. Restore data from SSD encrypted by BitLocker

Restore data from SSD encrypted by BitLocker: Hello, Win10 64bit system SSD/HDD had sw failure and can´t be run anymore BSOD or boot error. How can be possible to read data from SSD/HDD on other pc via adapter "sata to usb" or "nvme to usb" when harddrive is encrpted by BitLocker when is known the BitLocker key?...
  5. Restore system image to another pc (with different hardware)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore system image to another pc (with different hardware)?: My main pc just broke down but luckily I have a system image on a external drive. Because of these current times I won’t be able to fix my main pc for a while, however I do have an older system. I want to know if my system image will work on that pc or do I have to clean...
  6. After restoring a system image on HDD, the PC can't boot from SSD.

in Windows 10 Support
    After restoring a system image on HDD, the PC can't boot from SSD.: A year ago, I bought a new PC and there was pre-installed on the HDD Windows 10 1709. Then I added from within Windows 10 the Safe Mode option to the boot menu. So I could see 2 options in the boot menu -- 1 for the routine boot and 1 for the Safe Mode boot. Few weeks ago I...
  7. SSD hardware transfer from one machine to another.

SSD hardware transfer from one machine to another.: I tried the other day to ask how to upgrade a drive in a HP Notebook 14. That is still a work in progress... But thank you to the people who answered that question. I'm awaiting a larger OEM drive to arrive in the mail. Here is this problem: I have three HP branded...
  8. Restoring Windows PC with a failed SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restoring Windows PC with a failed SSD boot drive: How do I rescue a PC with a failed SSD boot drive. Windows 10 Pro was the System and PC comes up in BIOS. Have the original Disk. Supplier gone out of business just before it happened....
  9. Restoring Windows on SSD

Restoring Windows on SSD: I have 1 TB sata hard drive, having 100 GB partition for Windows 10 and 2 GB System Reserved. I have macrium reflect backup of these partitions. I want to restore my backup to 140 GB SSD. I want to know if there will be any problem or benefit and also , is there any benefit...
  10. System Restore and SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore and SSD?: Hey guys, I recently installed an SSD and I found out while running Samsung's OS Optimization disk that it has turned off System Restore by default. I of course can turn it back on, but I wanted to get feedback on turning on System Restore on an solid state drive....