Windows 10: Restore from Bitlocker encrypted external drive?

Discus and support Restore from Bitlocker encrypted external drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is it possible to restore a system image from a Bitlocker encrypted external drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Daniel_660, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Restore from Bitlocker encrypted external drive?

Is it possible to restore a system image from a Bitlocker encrypted external drive?

:)

Daniel_660, Oct 10, 2018

2. Restore system image from a bitlocker encrypted external USB drive (Windows 10)

Hi,

I'm going to encrypt my C: drive with Bitlocker. I also want to save a complete system image on an external USB drive. Which shall be encrypted with Bitlocker as well.

My question:

Is is possible to restore a complete system image from a Bitlocker encrypted external USB drive?

My assumed experience:

My internal drive brakes and I replace it with a brand new drive. I connect the encrypted external USB drive (with the system image on it) at my laptop. I boot from a Win10 USB-Stick and go to the recovery/restore options. There I'm able to select the external
    USB drive and have to enter my PIN/password to decrypt the drive. Than the restore process starts. After a reboot I'm back at my old environment.

Is that the case that will happen?

zerpixelung, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Marc Cai Win User
    Encrypted External Drive that cannot be opened.

Hi Sana,

It is a good idea to use Bitlocker to protect hard drives. Please provide the following needed information:

1. How do you try to access the drive?

2. Do you get any pop-up message when trying to access the drive?

3. Is this an external hard drive?

You can turn off Bitlocker Drive Encryption by following these steps:

• Login as Administrator to your PC.

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, find the volume on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the What level of decryption do you want dialog box, click either
      Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption or Decrypt the volume as needed.

Regards.

Marc Cai, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Restore from Bitlocker encrypted external drive?

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Restore from Bitlocker encrypted external drive?

1. Restore from Bitlocker encrypted external drive? - Similar Threads - Restore Bitlocker encrypted

2. Bitlocker encryption on external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption on external drive: Hello, I need support regarding Bitlocker. I have activated the Bitlocker encryption on my external drive and it stopped responding at 89%. The encryption process simply freezes and it freezes my whole laptop. All I can do is enforce restarting my laptop to be able to access...
  3. Bitlocker encryption on external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption on external drive: Hello, I need support regarding Bitlocker. I have activated the Bitlocker encryption on my external drive and it stopped responding at 89%. The encryption process simply freezes and it freezes my whole laptop. All I can do is enforce restarting my laptop to be able to access...
  4. Disk Image and Restore Bitlocker encrypted C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Image and Restore Bitlocker encrypted C drive: I have a Dell XPS 13, Windows 10 Pro. Bitlocker enabled on C drive.I used Windows backup to make a full disk image of all partitions.Also made a backup of all my data on C, just in case.Dell is replacing the System Board which has soldered SSD drive chips, so I am getting a...
  5. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?: Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?So far I can NOT image the external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-an-external-hard-drive-that-is-bitlocker/a25432e8-e230-481a-a67d-2d13c1260f17
  6. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?: Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?So far I can NOT image the external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-an-external-hard-drive-that-is-bitlocker/a25432e8-e230-481a-a67d-2d13c1260f17
  7. Restore data from SSD encrypted by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore data from SSD encrypted by BitLocker: Hello, Win10 64bit system SSD/HDD had sw failure and can´t be run anymore BSOD or boot error. How can be possible to read data from SSD/HDD on other pc via adapter "sata to usb" or "nvme to usb" when harddrive is encrpted by BitLocker when is known the BitLocker key?...
  8. Problem encrypting external drive with BitLocker

Problem encrypting external drive with BitLocker: Hello! I have a problem encrypting an external drive with BitLocker to Go Transcend StoreJet 25H2P 2TB SSD, with NTFS file system. The external drive does not show up in BitLocker user interface, under external drives. However, the drive in question is available in WIN10...
  9. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  10. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore system from bitlocker drive