Windows 10: Restore from system image, no system repair disc

Discus and support Restore from system image, no system repair disc in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have an HP laptop running windows 10. The screen was badly broken so I sent it to HP to be repaired. They recommended that I backup my files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/longlostkingoffools, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Restore from system image, no system repair disc

I have an HP laptop running windows 10. The screen was badly broken so I sent it to HP to be repaired. They recommended that I backup my files beforehand because they may need to completely reset the computer. So I created a system image on an external SSD of mine.

I now have the computer back and it turns out that they reset it. I go to “recover from system image” and it finds the latest available image on the drive and I click next, but then I get the message: “To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery Environment is currently running on. To Continue with the restore, shut down this computer and boot it from a Windows installation disc or a system repair disc and then try the restore again. if you dont have a system repair disc, you can create one now”

I don’t have a system repair disc, nor did I make a recovery usb. I don’t have an optical drive to create a repair disc now, so now what do I do? Am I screwed or can I still restore my computer to the image somehow?

submitted by /u/longlostkingoffools
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/longlostkingoffools, Dec 28, 2019
  2. KeithJose Win User

System Image restore and system repair disc

So i am trying to restore my computer but it said I needed to create a system repair disc. And so i used control panel to do it. When i try to use system image restore nothing changed! They still keep asking me for a system repair disc.

KeithJose, Dec 28, 2019
  3. Jian N Win User
    Restore system image without system repair disc

Hello.

I've created a system image and was trying to restore it. I did not have a blank disc, so I did not create a system repair disk.

I got into Advanced startup > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Image Recovery

After selecting the system image, the computer asks for a system repair disc, which I do not have.

As far as I know, this used to be the only way to restore a system image without a system repair disc, is it still possible now?

Jian N, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Restore from system image, no system repair disc

System Repair Disc

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

What is system image?

A system image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer
    if your hard disk or computer ever stops working. When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration—you can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your current programs, system settings, and files are replaced with the
    contents of the system image.

What is system repair disc?

A Repair Disk is a bootable disk that is used to boot the computer if there is a problem and you are not able to boot into windows. The System Repair Disk can also be used to replace the windows installation with the System Image backup.

I suggest you to refer the follow Microsoft help article to turn on file history.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Note: The steps for Windows 8/8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

Restore from system image, no system repair disc

1. Restore from system image, no system repair disc - Similar Threads - Restore system image

2. System Repair Disc

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Repair Disc: Win10 v.2012 Build 19042.685 Is there other Media than a DVD disc, I can use to prepare such, and of what capacity need it be? 170887
  3. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  4. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  5. System Repair Disc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System Repair Disc: what type of disc do i need to use to make a system repair disc e.g. CD-R or DVD-RW? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-repair-disc/cae802a8-3358-40a7-99ed-d164cb8f435e
  6. Restore from system image and system repair disk on a CD

Restore from system image and system repair disk on a CD: I am replacing my hard disk. I have system image backup and system repair disk. Can I just restore to an empty hard disk or do I need to install a new copy of Windows 10....
  7. Restoring from system image

Restoring from system image: Hi there, My hard disk(1Tb capacity) recently died and nothing was recoverable. It was replaced by a SSD (500 Gb) capacity. There was about 800Gb available on the old drive so space wasn't a problem. The old drive had a C: and D: partition. I supplied the technicians with...
  8. Restore system image without system repair disc

Restore system image without system repair disc: Hello. I've created a system image and was trying to restore it. I did not have a blank disc, so I did not create a system repair disk. I got into Advanced startup > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Image Recovery After selecting the system image, the computer...
  9. System Repair Disc

System Repair Disc: Hi I'm running Windows 10 on an HP Envy All in One. My preferred backup method is a System Image Backup. When the backup completes it always prompts me to create an System Image Disc. The problem is the this computer doesn't have a built in CD recorder/player. Are there any...
  10. System repair Disc

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System repair Disc: I am trying to create a system repair disc and I keep getting a pop up stating "The disc in the selected drive is not blank. You must erase the disc before you can use it." This is a blank brand new disc. I have tried other discs and it says the same thing. What do I do? 45111