Windows 10: Restore from WindowsImageBackup

Discus and support Restore from WindowsImageBackup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; We have an iMac but I decided to use Bootcamp to partition to the hard drive as I really don't get on with Mac! Recently, I removed Bootcamp to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by janey6, Aug 23, 2019.

1. janey6 Win User

Restore from WindowsImageBackup

We have an iMac but I decided to use Bootcamp to partition to the hard drive as I really don't get on with Mac!
    Recently, I removed Bootcamp to increase the size of the partition.
    I have done this satisfactorily and have reinstalled Windows 10 on the Bootcamp partition.
    Before deleting the original partition, I made a system image on an external drive.
    My problem now is that Windows wants me to boot from a CD which has the startup info.
    I cannot find which key gets me into the bios to change the order.
    I have tried Esc, F1, F8, F10, etc but Windows just starts up normally.
    As I have some very important information on the system image, could anyone advise me how I can proceed, please?
    I even tried to copy the image from the external drive onto the partition but I find it is some GB short of space!

I asked on the Apple Community but cannot get an answer so I'm hoping someone on here can help.

:)

janey6, Aug 23, 2019

2. Win 10 WindowsImageBackup sub folder seems to have the incorrect time

Win 10 Home

Version 1703 with all available updates applied.

Control Panel \ Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

I have always thought the following represents the WindowsImageBackup folder structure.

WindowsImageBackup folder Structure (starting from root of drive)

• WindowsImageBackup
      • [Computer name]
        • Backup [date and time of backup]
          • A bunch of XML files
          • A bunch of .vhdx files
        • Catalog
          • BackupGlobalCatalog
          • GlobalCatalog
        • Logs
          • At least one .log file
        • SPPMetadataCache
          • At least one file with random letter/number combinations, separated by dashes, surrounded by {}’s
        • MediaId file
    In my case first sub folder (above) is not indicating any time that makes sense to me.

It DOES contain the correct date.

But not the time.

I created a new WindowsImageBackup folder structure earlier today at 3:00 pm Central.

But my folder ended up named "Backup 2017-08-21 195346"

Anyone know what the "195346" means ?

BTW, the date, time and zone are set correctly.

I'm so confused.

JustRayInWisconsin, Aug 23, 2019
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    backup and restore

Hi,

With regard to your concern, it is possible that Windows 10 is not able to overwrite the old image backup. We suggest that you rename the
    WindowsImageBackup folder to WindowsImageBackup.bak and then try running the back and restore again.

Let us know how it goes after after performing the recommended troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Aug 23, 2019
  4. Tryx3 Win User

Restore System Image

You will never be offered the option - Windows is not flexible when it comes to system images.

I assume that you store your images in a separate group of folders from which to pick one to restore from. I do the same.

• As long as we always move the entire WindowsImageBackup folder each time then there should never be any problems.
    • All you need to do is complete your storage procedure by moving your latest WindowsImageBackup folder out of the root into a separate folder and then you can move your chosen WindowsImageBackup folder from your "library" back into the root.
    • It is always the image in WindowsImageBackup that will be offered for restoration even though it is not the latest one.

There is no alternative to this for Windows images unless you decide to simply add to the same image every time in WindowsImageBackup.

• By doing this, Windows will add whatever has changed since the last image so image making is also speeded up.
    • Windows would then ask you which date of image you wanted to restore from.
    • The problem with this approach is that Windows decides which bits of previous images to clean out of WindowsImageBackup [using rules that are not published] so you might wish to restore a particular one but it will not be offered to you if Windows has not
      kept it intact.

Denis

Tryx3, Aug 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Restore from WindowsImageBackup - Similar Threads - Restore WindowsImageBackup

2. How do I restore from a Win 8.1 WindowsImageBackup file, using Win 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restore from a Win 8.1 WindowsImageBackup file, using Win 11?: I am trying to Restore a Windows Image Backup, created with Win 8.1, to another external drive. I try going to the Advanced Storage and picking Backup/Restore Win 7. I then try to select the Image file to Restore. The list of Found Backups stays BLANK. If I click on Network...
  3. How do I restore from a Win 8.1 WindowsImageBackup file, using Win 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I restore from a Win 8.1 WindowsImageBackup file, using Win 11?: I am trying to Restore a Windows Image Backup, created with Win 8.1, to another external drive. I try going to the Advanced Storage and picking Backup/Restore Win 7. I then try to select the Image file to Restore. The list of Found Backups stays BLANK. If I click on Network...
  4. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  5. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  6. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. I'm missing steps for restoring Windows 10 from a USB-drive WindowsImageBackup

I'm missing steps for restoring Windows 10 from a USB-drive WindowsImageBackup: I've a laptop with Windows 10 Home.In the recent past I created a system image onto an external USB HDD. I see the WindowsImageBackup directory on that external drive.I also have a USB stick that will boot into an emergency mode -- Recover from a Drive, Use a Device, etc.That...
  8. Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' <windowsimagebackup>.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' <windowsimagebackup>.: Hello everyone- Having a problem restoring a Win10 "backup and restore" save. W10 won't see it, and I think possibly there are some files missing. I'm super frustrated and hopefully someone here can help! Thanks in advance! Basic details: Lenovo 720s Laptop Win 10 Home I...
  9. Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password: How do I recover my lost System Password, please so that I can restore Windows 10 from WindowsImageBackup? 151690
  10. TWO WindowsImageBackups...only ONE shows up to restore from

TWO WindowsImageBackups...only ONE shows up to restore from: I created a system image of my pc on 12/7/19 after i ran all of my scans, I saved it to an external hard drive. Later my pc started acting very odd, so odd that it would not even reset!, After many days of frustration, i finally got it to reset with some files intact, using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore from windowsimagebackup