Windows 10: Restore function of File History. How do I do this.

Discus and support Restore function of File History. How do I do this. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to restore files that have been removed from my computer. It is giving me problems because the location doesn't exist any more. What do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Paul1685, May 16, 2020.

1. Paul1685 Win User

Restore function of File History. How do I do this.

I am trying to restore files that have been removed from my computer. It is giving me problems because the location doesn't exist any more. What do I need to do?

:)

Paul1685, May 16, 2020
  2. Shawn Brink, May 16, 2020
  3. File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, May 16, 2020
  4. Restore function of File History. How do I do this.

File History won't work, says insufficient space

Hi,

It is possible that the user profiles are also being restored when restoring your files in
    File History. We suggest that you manually choose the files you want to restore. Here are the steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Search for File History.
    • Click the Restore personal files option on the left pane of your screen.
    • Select the folders you want to restore and then click the restore icon.
    Note: Make sure that you don't copy the duplicated folders listed.

Feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jamille Nar, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Restore function of File History. How do I do this.

1. Restore function of File History. How do I do this. - Similar Threads - Restore function File

2. How do I retrieve an overwritten file without File History or System Restore?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I retrieve an overwritten file without File History or System Restore?: I accidently overwrote an rtf: file from a thumb drive and lost the original file that was in Documents in Drive C on my computer... only to find out that File History and System restore were turned off on our PC; Is there anyway of retrieving my original file???...
  3. How do I retrieve an overwritten file without File History or System Restore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I retrieve an overwritten file without File History or System Restore?: I accidently overwrote an rtf: file from a thumb drive and lost the original file that was in Documents in Drive C on my computer... only to find out that File History and System restore were turned off on our PC; Is there anyway of retrieving my original file???...
  4. How do I retrieve an overwritten file without File History or System Restore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How Do I Restore Regdit Files?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Do I Restore Regdit Files?: I just built a new PC and after 2 days using it my 120gb SSD was getting full so I relocated the files to store on my 4tb HDD. However, when I was trying to relocate "Program Files" and "Program Files x64" in RegEdit. I accidentally deleted RegEdit files. The files where...
  6. how do you restore a file history backup on windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you restore a file history backup on windows 10: [ATTACH] what a mess! first there's this article, which isn't that old, which is apparently the 'missing manual': https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-correctly-use-file-history-to-transfer-data-files-to-a-new-windows-10-installation/ And that does not even...
  7. How do I reconnect file history ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I reconnect file history ?: How do I reconnect file history? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reconnect-file-history/544c11a1-b430-404c-b7e7-fc3ea2e40516
  8. How DO I repair System Restore's functioning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How DO I repair System Restore's functioning: I have run System Restore to remove some browsers and games I installed to test them and my graphics processor. System restore advised me with an error message that none of my files were restored. I will paste the message so you will see the error's cause. Please guide me in...
  9. how do I restore file drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I restore file drive: How do I restore file drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-restore-file-drive/5e9be492-c289-4867-abd7-24ed53734e9f"
  10. How do I restore a Windows.old file

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I restore a Windows.old file: A few days ago I clean-installed Window 10 on my laptop. Works fine, except the laptop now cannot be reached by my desktop PC on my network, and I've exhausted all my options to get it to work. One option was to try again by clean reinstalling Windows 10 AGAIN. So I did that...