Windows 10: Restore hidden file attributes

Discus and support Restore hidden file attributes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I accidentally made all files of windows to be shown (unhide using properties--> attributes). Now, if I click hide again, the system is hiding folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by anil316619, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Restore hidden file attributes

I accidentally made all files of windows to be shown (unhide using properties--> attributes). Now, if I click hide again, the system is hiding folders that are open by default (say documents vs appdata, appdata must be hidden but documents must be visible).

Is there a way to restore the default attributes? Does system restore work?

I am using Windows 10.

Thanks in advance,

:)

anil316619, Nov 13, 2019

2. Change file attribute to 'unhide'

Hello Walt,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the attribute of any file/folder to unhide.

Step A: Show Hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer(win logo key+E) or My computer.

2. Now click on View on top of the window.
    3. Untick ‘Hidden items’ in the options.

Step B: Change file attribute

1. Once the hidden file is located, right click on the file/folder you want to change the attribute for.

2. Go to ‘properties’, untick the box facing hidden.

3. Now, Click on ‘apply’ and then ‘ok’.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 13, 2019
  3. All hidden files turned Un-hidden

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I suggest you to re-add them to the hidden items list and check.

Steps:

• Right click on the folders to hide, select Properties.
    • Go to General tab, under Attributes check mark the option
      Hidden.
    • Click on Apply and on Ok.

I suggest you not to use any third party anti-virus software. Try to use Windows Defender.

Refer: Using Windows Defender

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 13, 2019
  4. dhamill Win User

Restore hidden file attributes

File Attributes

I have inadvertently set my file attributes for what appears to be all files, e-mail files included, such that I can no longer see or access anything.

I was in C:\Users\d-ham and was trying to find the folder AppData but couldn't see it. I looked in proprieties, saw attributes, saw that the setting was a black square in the Read-only (only applies to files in folder) and thought that if I clicked hidden
    it would show me the hidden files. In doing this, I placed a check also in the Read-only option as well, believing it would let me see both Read-only and hidden files, then clicked yes to the question all folders and sub folders. What can I do to restore
    my original attributes?

dhamill, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

Restore hidden file attributes

1. Restore hidden file attributes - Similar Threads - Restore hidden file

2. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Attributes: Hello. I was wondering if I reset my laptop to its factory settings, will all my files revert back to their original attributes hidden, read only, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-attributes/eb32f7ce-d925-452f-a4a9-7cd8d2d7de28
  3. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Attributes: Hello. I was wondering if I reset my laptop to its factory settings, will all my files revert back to their original attributes hidden, read only, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-attributes/eb32f7ce-d925-452f-a4a9-7cd8d2d7de28
  4. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Attributes: Even when I change the file attributes so they are not "read only", every time I shut off the computer and turn it back on, they revert to "read only". What can I do to stop this? It's so annoying....
  5. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Attributes: Even when I change the file attributes so they are not "read only", every time I shut off the computer and turn it back on, they revert to "read only". What can I do to stop this? It's so annoying....
  6. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to Remove System Attribute - Not resetting hidden file

Unable to Remove System Attribute - Not resetting hidden file: I had a directory that had both the hidden and systemattributes. I wanted it to be visible. I kept trying to fix each of these individually using the Attributecommand: ATTRIB -S C:\X ATTRIB -H C:\X And each time, I got back the message it wouldn't be done: Not...
  8. Change hidden files/folders attribute for individual files or folders

Change hidden files/folders attribute for individual files or folders: Ref previous article at: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/cannot-change-view-hidden-files-for-a-specific/d362a9a3-07cd-47af-8e97-6ae4a124c29a Issue: The folder attribute "show hidden files and folders" in the folder view options is,...
  9. File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer: I had a user complain he couldn't see (& delete) a lock file our program had created. I can find it in a command prompt, dir /ah (and NOT dir /as). In Explorer, Folder Options->View->Uncheck "Hide Protected operating System Files" which stops Explorer displaying files with...
  10. Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10: How to: Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10 How to Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can set or clear the hidden attribute for files and folders to hide or unhide them....