Windows 10: Restore old image then upgrade

Discus and support Restore old image then upgrade in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; It seems like a good idea to restore my Win 8.1 installation to a time prior to when I installed a lot of software that I no longer need. So I plan to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Vincenzo, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Vincenzo Win User

Restore old image then upgrade

It seems like a good idea to restore my Win 8.1 installation to a time prior to when I installed a lot of software that I no longer need. So I plan to restore a Windows Image I made last December, then do the upgrade to 10.

I plan to use the Media Creation tool Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help for the install.

Will I need to install any Windows Updates that were released after Dec 2014 in order to do the upgrade to 10 using this tool?

Thanks

:)

Vincenzo, Jul 29, 2015
  2. MoeHick Win User

Windows 10 Bad_System_Config_Info

I have the same problem. The only image I have Windows 7 image avaliable is a year and a half old. Can I use this image and then find a later restore point to bring my computer closer to what it was when I initiated the upgrade to 10? Is there a restore
    for 10 available online to fix the boot problem?

MoeHick, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Andrei V. Win User
    Clean install with Win 10 Upgrade

You might want to try the upgrade anyway. Maybe in the RTM version of Windows 10 they fixed whatever caused your problems with the Dell Vostro 3750 i5.

Create a system image, to have a backup, try the upgrade and see what happens. If it fails, restore the image and go back to the old OS.

Andrei V., Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Restore old image then upgrade

1. Restore old image then upgrade - Similar Threads - Restore old image

2. System image fails to restore image.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System image fails to restore image.: I am trying to restore a system image on my computer but I cannot understand why it keeps failing. Previously I had no problems in restoring a system image. The following error message is displayed instead: “The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  3. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  4. Restore Point or Restore from Image?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Point or Restore from Image?: Hello r/windows10 , hope you're all well. I had some issues that were finally resolved with a USB Recovery Drive. I have my computer all set up back to the way I had it before I had those issues. All is good now. What I would like to do is prevent myself from having to start...
  5. Restored image will not boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restored image will not boot: Having a really weird and annoying problem. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and my boot device is a Samsung Pro 950 512GB M.2 NVME SSD. It's been running great through many Windows 10 upgrades. I'm currently running the latest 1903 version. I'm starting to run out of room on the C...
  6. Macrium Restore Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  7. Cannot Restore from old Drive Image

Cannot Restore from old Drive Image: Computer operation has become very slow, and I planned to save documents, browser data, etc. and return to an earlier image. This approach worked fine with win XP and 7, but not with 10. I initially had win7, and upgraded to 10 (with Microsoft's unexpected help). I made...
  8. System Image not Restoring.

System Image not Restoring.: Hi guys, so i reset my Toshiba laptop to its original factory settings and it came with windows 10 home. Then i had to clean install the windows on my laptop again because i was having some trouble with the touchpad drivers, so i wiped C. drive fully and installed window 10...
  9. system restore and imaging.

system restore and imaging.: Hello I have a one T external drive I image to and it recently showed that 2 - 23 or 30 GB images were filling the drive. A friend, using Treesize, explained that this is due to the restore points taking up space. I changed the scale from 2% to 1 and then created one point....
  10. Windows 10 failed to upgrade and not restoring old version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 failed to upgrade and not restoring old version: So my computer tried to install new upgrade of Win10 but failed with missing file error. Now it tries to restore the old version but it doesn't. It always says "Restorin your previous version of Windows" and after couple of minutes restarts and thr same message again... Dit...