Windows 10: restore one or two single files only from a complete image bu

Discus and support restore one or two single files only from a complete image bu in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; If possible how do I go about recovering a few files only from a complete system image back up...if this is possible Thanks...TiminAz 73126 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by trinaz, Dec 21, 2016.

1. trinaz Win User

restore one or two single files only from a complete image bu

If possible how do I go about recovering a few files only from a complete system image back up...if this is possible

Thanks...TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Dec 21, 2016

2. System image back up vanishes!

That would be impossible for the simple fact that you can not create an image or back up to your Operating System drive. So you would not be able to cut and paste it to anywhere from desktop.

And if you create a system image on an external drive the first time on any new windows version, it also creates a hidden folder "Recovery" on that drive. It needs this file to be able to find the image and restore it from BU/Restore(7) App or in Repair
    Options on start up. If you move your system image/WindowsImageBackup from one drive to another location, then you need to move that hidden "Recovery" file with it.

And if you create a file backup on external drive, it also creates a MediaID.bin file to be able to find the back up and restore it using the BU/Restore(7).

Also if you create a backup of your files in BU/Restore(7) (Not file history back up), then you do not need to use BU/Restore(7) to restore your files, just double click on the backup icon and it will start the recovery/restore process. If you move your
    backup of your files from one drive to another location, then you need to move that MediaID.bin file with it for BU/Restore(7) to be able to find it. But I believe you can move your back up file to another drive/location without moving the MediaID.bin file
    if you double click on it to start the restore process as it does not need the MediaID.bin file to find the back up to restore.

seahawks65, Dec 21, 2016
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Windows 10: fails backup to system image

You should post a new question instead of replying to an old one.

Backup and System Image are not the same thing. System Image makes a complete single file of the whole drive (a "snapshot") and must be kept on an external hard drive to be accessed by booting to recovery media. It is
    not for backup and cannot be used for restoring individual files. It is similar to a windows installation image file complete with your programs and files. Backup is a separate process that should be setup in Windows Backup-File History to
    make continual incremental backups stored on external media. That will allow restoration of single files while system image is for a complete replacement of everything on the whole drive inc windows. Great to have when the hard drive fails. System images should
    only be made after major changes and upgrades are done since the image replaces the previous image.

This forum is not Microsoft Support. It is users helping other users with MS moderators.

mlg63, Dec 21, 2016
  4. restore one or two single files only from a complete image bu

This probably depends on what was used to take the image back-up. I know that with Macrium Reflect selected files can be restored.

Alan Russell, Dec 22, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    This is easy using Macrium Reflect Free. Mount the image backup file, navigate to the folder/files you want and restore them to your chosen location.

Steve C, Dec 22, 2016
  6. kado897 Win User
    kado897, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

restore one or two single files only from a complete image bu

1. restore one or two single files only from a complete image bu - Similar Threads - restore single files

2. [SOLVED] Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [SOLVED] Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?: Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image...
  3. [SOLVED] Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [SOLVED] Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?: Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image...
  4. [SOLVED] Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?: Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image...
  6. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?: Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image...
  7. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

8. Restored from BU

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restored from BU: I was told anybody can backup the question is can you restore. I just installed a hard drive inside my notebook and formatted it using Acronis Disk Director. Then I booted using a rescue flash drive created with Macrium Reflect. I then restored my system from the backup. I...
  9. TWO WindowsImageBackups...only ONE shows up to restore from

TWO WindowsImageBackups...only ONE shows up to restore from: I created a system image of my pc on 12/7/19 after i ran all of my scans, I saved it to an external hard drive. Later my pc started acting very odd, so odd that it would not even reset!, After many days of frustration, i finally got it to reset with some files intact, using...
  10. Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one?: Still new to Macrium, want to be sure this will work before I modify my backup settings.... I currently run 2 separate backups; one images all the partitions on my boot drive (SSD), the other images an external USB drive that mostly contains encrypted virtual machine...