Windows 10: Restore Point and Shadow Copy

Discus and support Restore Point and Shadow Copy in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Cannot create a Restore Point and cannot create a shadow copy for backup. Are the two related? How can I resolve these issues?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Peter Schinkel, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Restore Point and Shadow Copy

Cannot create a Restore Point and cannot create a shadow copy for backup. Are the two related? How can I resolve these issues?

:)

Peter Schinkel, Oct 2, 2019

2. About deletion of Shadow Copy or System Restore in Windows 10

Hello,

Today I did a Disk Defragment on C: Drive in Windows 10. Before Defragmentation, I had 151GB/200GB, but after defragmentation now I have 147GB/200GB.

I searched on the internet and found that there might be some shadows copies done. Now according to a post in Microsoft Support, I was able to see that almost 3.57 GB is consumed by system restore. My question are :

1. Are System Restore and Shadow Copy same? Because both of them are consuming the same amount of space.
    2. If I delete a system restore point at this point (Currently, I only have the latest restore point after Defragmentation), will it create any other problems?
    3. Lastly, Are Shadow copies or the Windows Restore points automatically deleted?
    Thanks in advance.

MD.FAKHRUDDIN GAZZALI FAHIM, Oct 2, 2019
  3. zbook Win User
    restore points

How do you find the appropriate shadow copy?
    Once the shadow copy is found what is the next step with this file?
    What pitfalls are there in the restoring of the shadow copy?

zbook, Oct 2, 2019
  4. philc43 Win User

Restore Point and Shadow Copy

Restore and Shadow Copy

One way of thinking about this in W10 is to consider System restore points as being a shadow copy of the system files while File History is a shadow copy of the Document and Pictures and other user folders that you can select within the File History settings.

philc43, Oct 2, 2019
Thema:

Restore Point and Shadow Copy

1. Restore Point and Shadow Copy - Similar Threads - Restore Point Shadow

2. "The restore point could not be created for the following reason:" "The shadow copy...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "The restore point could not be created for the following reason:" "The shadow copy...: It shows this when I tried to create a system restore point https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-point-could-not-be-created-for-the/c0acad2d-9e73-437a-892a-ff67cbb68863
  3. System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc

System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc: Hi, New Windows 10 user here. Have Googled/Binged around and still a bit puzzled about this. So, System Restore is defaulted to "Off" in Windows 10. I understand some of the reasons for this, but still find it a useful tool. I left it like that, since it's still fresh and...
  4. Restore points not saving shadow copies of files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore points not saving shadow copies of files: I read that restore points save files and on the user's profile that you may restore later if you delete or edit them. I've been testing this and couldn't see it working. Am I missing something? Example: - I created a restore point then edited a file in my...
  5. Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points: I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application. I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point...
  6. Volume Shadow Services & System Restore Points

Volume Shadow Services & System Restore Points: I notices that my "Volume Shadow Services"is set to "manual" mode. Is it suppose to be set to "automatic" mode? Could the fact that it it set to "manual" mode be the reason I'm loosing System Restore Points even though I have 95 GB of storage set aside for these SR points?...
  7. Can't create restore point - "The shadow copy provider had an error..... (0x80042306)

Can't create restore point - "The shadow copy provider had an error..... (0x80042306): I'm unable to create a restore point. I started the volume shadow service and it still does not work. Anything else I can try? Thanks!...
  8. Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?

Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?: Apparently, VSC interferes with my Acronis backups. I would like to stop the service to run the backups, and restart afterward. I don't want to disable it, because I'm aware that will delete my restore points, which I definitly don't want to do. Can I just stop the service...
  9. Shadow Copy Error 0x80042306 and Not Able to Create Restore Point

Shadow Copy Error 0x80042306 and Not Able to Create Restore Point: I installed the new Win 10 Update [took all afternoon and right up t0 2130 at night]. It went O.K.; I had only to retrieve icons for some folders, but I found I could not create a Restore Point for the above reason. I looked at the Event Log (!), I searched for answers...
  10. Restore and Shadow Copy

Restore and Shadow Copy: What is the difference between System Restore and Shadow Copy? I am familiar with the first, but only came across references to the second recently. 56132