Windows 10: Restore point creation as part of updates

Discus and support Restore point creation as part of updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; One of the features of windows 7 was that it automatically created a restore point before applying an updates. Now that I'm newly on windows 10 1909,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Davidk03, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Davidk03 Win User

Restore point creation as part of updates

One of the features of windows 7 was that it automatically created a restore point before applying an updates.

Now that I'm newly on windows 10 1909, I've noticed that there have been several updates over the last 3 weeks applied to the PC without a restore point being created as part of the update.

Is that the new normal for windows 10??

If it's not, how do I configure win10 to create these before applying an update?

The C drive is configured for restore points, to use about 5% 10gb of its capacity, and currently very under used.

:)

Davidk03, Jul 20, 2020
  2. Ubtree Win User

Scheduling System Restore Point Creation

I have tried to precisely follow the instructions set out in System Restore Point : Create at System Startup - Windows 7 Help Forums, but the Task Scheduler / script is failing to create a restore point:
    • Running the script manually creates a Restore Point.
    • Task Scheduler appears to run the script, but no Restore Point results.

Restore point creation as part of updates [​IMG]

(The Last Run Result code 0x41301 indicates "The task is already running".)

The Task Scheduler settings are as follows:

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to why the restore points are not being created.

Ubtree, Jul 20, 2020
  3. Ctrl-Z Win User
    Windows 10 Restore Point creation error 0x800423F4 and possible workarounds

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Please post back with the information asked and the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thanks to all who contributed to this post.

I encountered this problem after installing the Windows 10 Creators Update.

After deleting all previous restore points on my system and making sure the VSS service was enabled, I followed the above recommendations and successfully created a restore point.

None of the scans indicated the presence of a problem so I suggest that you NOT give up if your sfc and dism scans come back clean.

Ctrl-Z, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Restore point creation as part of updates

Restore points

A bit over a month ago I activated creation of system restore points on Windows 10. However, I just looked at the list restore point and am confused. There was one created when I (unsuccessfully) tried to take an image backup, 4 for when I was installing drivers and/or uninstalling programs, and one (count it - one) automatic restore point taken 2 days ago. There are none related to Windows updates even though Windows maintenance has been applied.

This prompts some questions:
    1. What prompted the "automatic" creation of a Restore Point, and how to I configure it to happen more often?
    2. Does Windows 10 maintenance create some other kind of backup image when maintenance is applied? If so, does that other thing have something similar the the System Restore's "Scan for effected programs" function?

Behind these questions is a deeper one: If I uninstall a Cumulative Update fix, is all the maintenance for the current build removed, or does Windows uninstall just the new maintenance that was installed when the fix was applied? If all maintenance is uninstalled then I really need to start creating more Restore Points.

pokeefe0001, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Restore point creation as part of updates

1. Restore point creation as part of updates - Similar Threads - Restore point creation

2. Windows 10 Restore Point creation error 0x800423F4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Restore Point creation error 0x800423F4: Hello everybody,I found a question with this title dated 2015, and I just had the problem.SFC /scannow, and the unactivation of the firewal and the antivirus, gave nothing.I started in failless mode, observed that the SystemPropertiesProtection dialog box has no system...
  3. Windows 10 Restore Point creation error 0x800423F4

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Restore Point creation error 0x800423F4: Hello everybody,I found a question with this title dated 2015, and I just had the problem.SFC /scannow, and the unactivation of the firewal and the antivirus, gave nothing.I started in failless mode, observed that the SystemPropertiesProtection dialog box has no system...
  4. Windows 10 Restore Point creation error 0x800423F4

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is it safe to restore point when I've updated computer parts?

Is it safe to restore point when I've updated computer parts?: Hi! So recently I got a blue screen and can't boot up my PC. I've tried a recovery drive, some things in command prompt, and none seem to have worked. I've decided that perhaps I should revert back to an old restore point. However, the last restore point saved was when I had...
  6. Error 0x8004F231F blocking manual creation of a restore point.

Error 0x8004F231F blocking manual creation of a restore point.: When I go to System Protection to try to create a restore point before making some changes I get the error code 0x8004F231F claiming that there wasn't enough space to create shadow copy files or data. This error will persist even after deleting the three previous restore...
  7. Disable create auto restore point /allow manual restore point creation

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Disable create auto restore point /allow manual restore point creation: Is this possible ? Disable create auto restore point But allow manual restore point creation ? thanks 169313
  8. Scheduling System Restore Point Creation

Scheduling System Restore Point Creation: Hi Forum, I see that Win10 has deleted the function to schedule the creation of restore points! Supposedly it creates a new restore point before downloading updates (if the function is turned on; by default it is off!). I like to schedule the creation of points every few...
  9. Automatic Restore Point Creation

Automatic Restore Point Creation: Is there a way to get Restore Points created automatically periodically? The only ones showing in the Restore Point window are those I created manually. System Update has never created one. Thank you. 40391
  10. Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation

Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation: I have set up the following in Task Scheduler:- [img] However it does not work! Any ideas anyone? PS: How can I enable history? 31873