Windows 10: restore point disappears

Discus and support restore point disappears in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; this problem is continuing from win xp pro, I was hoping after the upgrade to win 10 it would be fixed After creating a restore point, I get a success... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bbxrider, Apr 3, 2016.

1. bbxrider Win User

restore point disappears

this problem is continuing from win xp pro, I was hoping after the upgrade to win 10 it would be fixed
    After creating a restore point, I get a success message, and the newly created restore point
    shows up for something like 5-10 minutes, then its gone

:)

bbxrider, Apr 3, 2016
  2. d0gknees Win User

Disappearing Restore Points

"Why should we key in this and key in that?"

Because that's one way you tell a computer what to do. It's a more reliable way to make sure someone gets the fix right. Telling people to click this and then that and then the other thing is much less
    reliable.

d0gknees, Apr 3, 2016
  3. Tom Kunzo Win User
    Disappearing Restore Points

For your info, I have set the Protection on.

I have also reserved 59GB for the Restore Points.

I usually find that the Restore Points used less than 200MB of disk space.

My understanding is that Restore Points are deleted, not based on how old they are, but on whether there is enough disk space for new ones.

If there is not enough for the new Restore Points, the oldest ones will be deleted.

Tom Kunzo, Apr 3, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

restore point disappears

Is Win10 a clean install? If the problem existed on WinXP it may be a hardware issue. Your System Specs don't mention the size of the HDD so a question could be asked about how much free space is available on it. Any setting in WinXP about how much space was allocated to System Restore would have been lost in a clean install of Win10.
    Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft

Berton, Apr 3, 2016
  5. bbxrider Win User
    t here's 2.5gb reserved for system restore, the current usage is 6.84 mb,
    being a programmer I'm not understanding how a hardware issue could cause a seeming valid
    restore point to disappear. if there is some disk or memory problem, etc I would think it would prevent the point
    from even being created in the first place.
    I'm thinking to perhaps do a system 'repair' if thats possible with win 10. Its the option that would come up
    for win xp when initiating an install and there is an existing installation. that was a decent option if some system
    files were corrupt and not having to do a new install and lose all the apps, etc that had been installed.
    not sure how to go about a repair for win 10 since I don't any install disk.

bbxrider, Apr 3, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, could be helpful if you provide a screenshot like this (GUI)

restore point disappears [​IMG]

Please feel free to find relevant threads by searching for 'restore points lost' 'restore points disappear'e.g. in the search box above.
    E.g.
    Solved Recovery points are killed - Windows 10 Forums
    Dual boot with Windows 7 deletes Windows 10 restore points - Windows 10 Forums
    Eternal Mystery - Windows 10 Forums
    Disappearing restore points - Windows 10 Forums

There are several repair options for Win 10, and install media are freely downloadable.
    Please feel free to see the Tutorials (link above).

Each upgrade build (like November last year, and coming Redmond upgrades) you need to update the install medium to match your installed major build for an in-place upgrade repair install (very useful).

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)

This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

restore point disappears

1. restore point disappears - Similar Threads - restore point disappears

2. Even new restore points disappear

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Even new restore points disappear: I've read here that restore points disappear after a Windows update. Understood. But two days ago I decided to create and name a new restore point before downloading a program. System protection is turn on. The system verified that it was created. I've allocated 10% of space...
  3. System Restore Points Disappear

System Restore Points Disappear: I am on Win 10 64 V 20043. On my Lenovo laptop I recently had a major problem with no Audio suddenly-Synaptics Audio. I did get it fixed on 17 December and promptly created a System restore point. I also did another Restore point a few days later. The dreaded Audio...
  4. System Restore Points disappeared

System Restore Points disappeared: I reinstalled Windows 10, and Configured System Restore to "Turn on system protection," and set Max Usage to 260 GB. Then I created a System Restore Point after each installation of software Chrome, Office, Zoom, Deluge. I shut down and restarted Windows. I periodically...
  5. System Restore Point Disappeared [Solved]

System Restore Point Disappeared [Solved]: System Restore Point Disappeared after a few hours of creating it. After a thorough investigation, I found it was the Carbonite cloud backup program actually its service that was responsible for that. Disabling the service or uninstalling the program resolved the issue....
  6. System restore points (all) disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore points (all) disappear: Hi everyone: New laptop. It seems for no reason i can find that all of my system restore point suddenly disappear daily and at no specific time. For no reason. I've even tried to task make automatically make restore points, i've stopped using clean up programs thinking that...
  7. Restore Points keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Points keep disappearing: Hello Everyone, I've read some other threads here about system restore points missing or being deleted - but I haven't noticed an accepted solution or possible troubleshooting tips that have helped. I have a new Dell Inspiron (see specs under avatar) that I purchased 3...
  8. Sytem Restore points frequently disappearing

Sytem Restore points frequently disappearing: I've yet to detect a pattern but this is getting very annoying. Just went into System Protection to check if the several SRs that were there a week or so ago are still present - and they're not. I've had several reboots and Win 10 updates in that period, but they always used...
  9. System Restore Disappeared, Its There But No Restore Points

System Restore Disappeared, Its There But No Restore Points: My system restore points have disappeared, I am running windows 10 on a laptop with office 365 and I was trying to get my one drive to sign in. I went into the system restore and I purposely added restore points since I was doing some updates over the weekend and not one...
  10. Disappearing restore points

Disappearing restore points: I created a restore point and at some time later, it disappears. After today's update for a security update for flash player, it's gone to be replaced by one for the update which is normal. I've been noticing this for a while. Later that restore point disappeared also. I...