Windows 10: Restore point grows

Discus and support Restore point grows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I created a restore point that was 13.x mb and it has grown to 600.x mb, why???? 158636 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rdwray, Jun 16, 2020.

1. rdwray Win User

Restore point grows

I created a restore point that was 13.x mb and it has grown to 600.x mb, why????

:)

rdwray, Jun 16, 2020
  2. budguinn Win User

How does a System Restore Point continue to grow in size?

I have updated to Win 10 from Win 7...This was a 'clean' install. Everything seems to work well except System Restore. The machine will delete all restore points if it is Shutdown.....not usually with just a restart. I've posted three or four different
    questions to Microsoft on this with no joy on repairing. I've also read everything on this site that I could find that relates, whether Windows 10, 7, or 8.

As part of this I have been watching the restore points.

I noticed them 'growing' in size. I have asked Microsoft about this but have never received an answer to the question...of how can a system snap shot, continue to grow. It kind of defeats the purpose.

As the title says, the restore point created yesterday started at 24mb......six hours later this same restore point was listed as 237mb......early this morning the same restore point was showing that it was using 430mb. The same restore point two hours
    later is 2.1gb. After putting the machine in sleep mode I went and played 9holes of golf. The machine is now reporting a restore point size of 10.9gb. That is a rather large increase of a 27mb file. I also used TreeSize to see that this is all in the System
    Volume folder and pretty much one file. BTW, there is only one restore point showing in the system protection screen....and it is highly unlikely it would be good for anything.

I have run sfc/scannow. Adjusted Vss size to 20% of drive....it is a 2tb drive. The same machine was running Win 7 and never had any problems with this.

My main problem is after shutdown all restore points are deleted.

With the above information, does anyone have any ideas.

Microsoft will answer a question/ticket one time and will not come back after you tell them that their recommendations did not work. Also, they don't really seem to read the question/problem at all. Apparently they have a manual that gives stock answers
    and they are confined to those answers.

Does anyone in this community have any suggestions?

budguinn, Jun 16, 2020
  3. budguinn Win User
    My single System Restore Point is growing in size....How is this possible?

As the title says, the restore point created yesterday started at 24mb......six hours later this same restore point was listed as 237mb......early this morning the same restore point was showing that it was using 430mb. The same restore point is now listed
    as taking 2.1gb.

I have not turned the machine off, because it will delete all restore points on shutdown. It only has one restore point. I am getting the size by looking at the 'configure' button on the System Protection screen. I just checked it as I was typing this
    to make sure I gave you the right screen, and it is now at 2.92gb. It has grown .8gb in fifteen minutes.

Can you explain how a restore point, which is a snap shot of my system at one point in time, can continually grow larger and larger?

I never had this problem with Windows 7, only with Windows 10.

I have asked about this before, but the support staff only reply once to a question, whether their answer cures the problem or not.

If you want to see the previous questions that I've posted they are under my name.....somewhere on your system.

best regards,

bud guinn

budguinn, Jun 16, 2020
  4. jellyroll Win User

Restore point grows

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CRestore point grows :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CRestore point grows :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Restore point grows

1. Restore point grows - Similar Threads - Restore point grows

2. System Restore Point Keeps Growing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore Point Keeps Growing: Hi to all. I posted this question quite a while back and never really got a clear answer as I recall. My SSD is 256GB. It contains the operating system and all of my files. Not even half of the drive is being used. My question is more of interest rather than causing a...
  3. Restore Points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points: My PC with Windows 10 used to set up a Restore Point after every Windows 10 daily Update, now it does not. How can I change that back to an automatic Restore Point after every Windows 10 daily Update?...
  4. Restore Point

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Point: hello everyone, I created a restore point before installing some display driver and now i think i need to go to old drivers.... i wanted to know if i used that restore point will i lose any packages that i installed after that restore point like opencv ,kera etc submitted by...
  5. Restore Point

Restore Point: Hi, I have win 10 pro installed and want to make a restore point but when I try to acess the app it says something like "windows cannot access the device, path of specific file. The user may not have the necessary permissions to access that item". Sorry, but I have the...
  6. Restore point grows

Restore point grows: I created a restore point that was 13.x mb and it has grown to 600.x mb, why???? 158636
  7. restore point

restore point: restore to two months ago https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point/b75193ce-d3b2-41ed-9f91-31bc2f3fe5fc
  8. Restore Points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restore Points: -in- sI find no restore points and the configure window shows some thing is using that space all the time. I did a manual restore point and it was over written in a very short time.There is no name shown for this use.of the restore space. An others similar HP All-in-one...
  9. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  10. restore points

restore points: I keep regular images with Macrium Reflect, free. I create one manually with each new cumulative update. I also make a restore point each week. Due to their poor reliability record, would you say I am wasting my time with these restore points and to just rely upon Macrium?...