Windows 10: Restore point problem - issue with timestamp of drivers

Discus and support Restore point problem - issue with timestamp of drivers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to use a recent restore point, but I encounter the following issue: If I click on "Scan for affected programs", I get a list with literally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Barth van Rossum, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Restore point problem - issue with timestamp of drivers

I want to use a recent restore point, but I encounter the following issue:

If I click on "Scan for affected programs", I get a list with literally hundreds of drivers that will be de-installed and re-installed.

The point is, none of these drivers have been changed recently, in fact Windows wants to remove it and reinstall it with exactly the same version.

The problem is that somehow the formatting of the dates appears changed, e.g. "19.03.2015" vs. "3/19/2015", see attached screenshot.

I can choose from 3 recent restore points, but all three have the same issue...

Since I don't think it is a good idea to uninstall all my drivers, is there any workaround to "fix" this again?

Thanks,

Barth van Rossum

Restore point problem - issue with timestamp of drivers d8db46aa-6f8d-44da-9ec4-8420a575514d?upload=true.jpg

:)

Barth van Rossum, Jan 8, 2021
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CRestore point problem - issue with timestamp of drivers :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CRestore point problem - issue with timestamp of drivers :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Jan 8, 2021
  3. Ferds_N Win User
    restore point

Hi there mikewilson4, I will be your Independent Advisor for today, I hope we can both resolve your problem.

This is possible if you have a restore point that can restore your computer 2 months back.

To check your restore point please follow this,

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app or driver, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will
    remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, and then choose it from the list of results

In the Control Panel search box, type recovery.

Select Recovery > Open System Restore.

In the Restore system files and setting box, select Next.

Select the restore point that you want to use in the list of results, and then select Scan for affected programs.

Notes

If you don’t see the restore point that you want to use, select the Show more restore points check box to see more restore points.

If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. Here’s how to check:

In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, and then choose it from the list of results.

In the Control Panel search box, type recovery.

Select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and see if the Turn on system protection option is selected.

If the Turn on system protection option is not selected, system protection isn’t turned on and there aren't any restore points. In this scenario, you won't be able to recovery your PC using a system restore point and will need to use one of the other recovery
    options listed on this page.

If the Turn on system protection option is selected, continue with step 6.

You'll see a list of items that will be deleted if you remove this restore point. If you're OK with the deletions, select Close> Next > Finish.

Source:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/12415/...

Ferds_N, Jan 8, 2021
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Restore point problem - issue with timestamp of drivers

Restore points being deleted

Thus my reluctance to continue this discussion amongst other reasons seen here.

That said, I think the reason some are so quick to suggest alternative backup solutions lack of understanding of what System Restore is (or is not). The purpose of System Restore is to restore the system back to a point before a problem occurred. It does this "by taking a "snapshot" of the some system files and the Windows registry and saves them as Restore Points."

That makes this a valuable OS tool some of us rely on..., irregardless of "alternative backup solutions". As I said in post #44, I use them as testing points for drivers and software updates at times.

sygnus21, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

Restore point problem - issue with timestamp of drivers

1. Restore point problem - issue with timestamp of drivers - Similar Threads - Restore point problem

2. RESTORE POINT ISSUES

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RESTORE POINT ISSUES: Hello.Aftera restore point on win11 i can open png or jpeg files.Also i can not play videos and the icons in start screen of mail and calendar app missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point-issues/51bcddb9-74f4-467a-970c-884bb2ac7233
  3. RESTORE POINT ISSUES

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RESTORE POINT ISSUES: Hello.Aftera restore point on win11 i can open png or jpeg files.Also i can not play videos and the icons in start screen of mail and calendar app missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point-issues/51bcddb9-74f4-467a-970c-884bb2ac7233
  4. Automatic Restore Point Problem

Automatic Restore Point Problem: Can anyone help please? I'm just simply trying to do a restore into a specific Automatic Restore Point that was done by the system 2 days ago and after the PC restarts, the prompt says it didn't complete the restore.My PC is running on Windows 11 22H2 22621.2428...
  5. Automatic Restore Point Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Restore Point Problem: Can anyone help please? I'm just simply trying to do a restore into a specific Automatic Restore Point that was done by the system 2 days ago and after the PC restarts, the prompt says it didn't complete the restore.My PC is running on Windows 11 22H2 22621.2428...
  6. about restore point and drivers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    about restore point and drivers.: i've deleted a certain driver from C:\Windows\System32\drivers through cmd in safe mode, and after that audio stopped working. no audio devices founddeleted driver name: voxaldriverx64.systhe reason i got rid of it because it was causing me BSOD several times.if i go back to...
  7. about restore point and drivers.

about restore point and drivers.: i've deleted a certain driver from C:\Windows\System32\drivers through cmd in safe mode, and after that audio stopped working. no audio devices founddeleted driver name: voxaldriverx64.systhe reason i got rid of it because it was causing me BSOD several times.if i go back to...
  8. Wassmedic issues and multiple restore points

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wassmedic issues and multiple restore points: Running windows 10 on an old desktopProcessor IntelR CoreTM i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz Installed RAM 8.00 GB 7.90 GB usableSystem type 64-bit operating system,x64-based processor Edition Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 updated 10/11/22Installed on ‎25/‎06/‎2021OS build...
  9. restore point problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    restore point problem: Hi I want to create restore point but I can't. The whole of system protection is unavailable. What should I do ? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point-problem/b9e2172c-68ed-46df-a9cc-bf852ec1857c
  10. Problem with restoring from Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with restoring from Restore Point: I have a Dell Insperion laptop (four years old, bought from Costco). It came with preinstalled Windows 8.1 with no installation disk. Later, I upgraded it to a free Window 10 from Microsoft website. An automatic Dell update app on the laptop indicated that there is a driver...