Windows 10: Restore Point Question

Discus and support Restore Point Question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, If I Posted this previously, I don't think I did, I apologize. That old age thing. Concerning Restore Points on W10. My understanding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Robert11, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Robert11 Win User

Restore Point Question

Hello,

If I Posted this previously, I don't think I did, I apologize.
    That old age thing.

Concerning Restore Points on W10.

My understanding is that these are created "automatically".
    Or, you can do it "Manually".

I seems to remember on W7, you could create however often they would
    be done, automatically.
    e.g., every week, or every two weeks.

Is there an option on W10 to do this ?

And, if not, how often does W10 create a Restore Point ?

Thanks,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Nov 26, 2015
  2. Rhina Vib Win User

Automatic System Image Restore Points - Question

System restore points may be deleted or missing because of several reasons. For information regarding why restore points may be deleted, as well as steps on how to resolve this issue, you can refer to

Nachappa C K
    's post on this
    link

Keep us posted.

Rhina Vib, Nov 26, 2015
  3. Jerry8AB Win User
    Automatic System Image Restore Points - Question

Rhina -

Thanks for the reply and the link. I have a follow-up question on a comment made in the link, but first I would like to ask a followup on my original post question.

The screenshot I originally sent listed the automated restore points. When I did a restore in the Safe Mode, the automated restore points were not listed. Why is that?

See below.

Thanks,

Jerry

Restore Point Question [​IMG]

Jerry8AB, Nov 26, 2015
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Restore Point Question

Just follow this tutorial, Bob. Make sure System Protection is on. If not net it to about 10-15GB, that should be plenty.
    System Restore Point - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Excerpt from a Google search on Restore Points: Restore points are created automatically every day, and just before significant system events, such as the installation of a program or device driver. You can also create a restore point manually.

f14tomcat, Nov 26, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    By default, strangely, System Restore is off in Win 10, so you need to enable it.

Restore points are not automatically created by Win 10 on a schedule. You can set up your own schedule to do this:
    Get the vbs file here:
    System Restore Point Shortcut - Windows 7 Help Forums
    and set your own schedule to use it.

(The SR schedule provided by MS in the task scheduler does not do what it says).

You can of course create them manually, personally (Settings, Restore, System Properties, Protection Tab), Create
    - but I find it much easier to use a small utility that lets me create a named restore point in far fewer steps.
    (QuickRestoreMaker). I have a shortcut to it on my start menu (Classic shell) so that's easy.

Note that it seems in '10 that MS seems to have dropped creating a restore point related to MS updates.

dalchina, Nov 28, 2015
  6. M4v3r1ck Win User
    My vanilla Windows 10 10586.14 system automaticly makes a restore point every two days, some program installers do it them selves. Hope to find a workaround for the scheduler mishaps we now face!

They don't want users to restore from their KB's....

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Nov 29, 2015
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Note also that some housekeeping proggies such as diskcleaners and registry cleaners seemingly go ahead with "successfully" creating a restore point even when "System Restore" is set to OFF.
    So, don't rely on that as there is NO restore point created.

Just for info though.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Restore Point Question

1. Restore Point Question - Similar Threads - Restore Point Question

2. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Point Questions: This system has a C: boot drive and a D: data drive. In the System Protection dialog, selecting Confiture for D: brings up "System Protection for Data Drive D:." Does turning protection on for D: just use space on D: to store restore points for the whole system? Or does it...
  3. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore Point Questions: This system has a C: boot drive and a D: data drive. In the System Protection dialog, selecting Confiture for D: brings up "System Protection for Data Drive D:." Does turning protection on for D: just use space on D: to store restore points for the whole system? Or does it...
  4. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. A question about system image restore and restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...
  6. A question about system image restore and restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...
  7. Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Point: Hi, I have win 10 pro installed and want to make a restore point but when I try to acess the app it says something like "windows cannot access the device, path of specific file. The user may not have the necessary permissions to access that item". Sorry, but I have the...
  8. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  9. Restore Point question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Point question: I have restore point space limited to 2Gigs on my Tablet. I've noticed that when a new restore point is created at the top of the list, an old one is removed from the bottom of the list. Sooner or later, I will end up with totally new restore points. Is there a way to save...
  10. Restore points question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restore points question: Is there anyway to save a restore point to an external drive? Every time I do a repair in-place install, I lose all my restore points. 81267