Windows 10: Restore Point Viewing Takes So Long

Discus and support Restore Point Viewing Takes So Long in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, When I click on the 'System Restore...' button in the 'System Protection' tab in the 'System Properties' dialog box, the system restore wizard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Matt316, May 4, 2020.

1. Matt316 Win User

Restore Point Viewing Takes So Long

Hi,

When I click on the 'System Restore...' button in the 'System Protection' tab in the 'System Properties' dialog box, the system restore wizard takes between 2 and 5! minutes to appear. The next page (the list of restore points) lists all the restore points (after checking the 'Show more restore points' checkbox), even after I have deleted all of them in the configure dialog box. I disable system protection, returning the usage to zero, then turn it back on again and create a new restore point. This creates one at around 20MB. However, when I click on the 'System Restore...' it still takes at least 2 mins to load and there are still loads of restore points, including the one I just made, a couple previously today and many for the last two years, which are labelled 'System Image Restore Point'.

Any ideas how I can, maybe, manually delete them and would this improve the speed it takes to show the restore points box? I have a win10 version on VB and that only takes a few seconds to load the restore points.

Matt

:)

Matt316, May 4, 2020
  2. Matt316 Win User

Thanks for the tips. However, although the deletion of the hidden backup files (suggested by Bree) worked - there are no more 'System Image Restore Point' points and only the single latest one remains, the time it takes for the restore wizard to appear is still minutes not seconds.

Matt

Matt316, May 4, 2020
  3. Matt316 Win User

Hi,

When I click on the 'System Restore...' button in the 'System Protection' tab in the 'System Properties' dialog box, the system restore wizard takes between 2 and 5! minutes to appear. The next page (the list of restore points) lists all the restore points (after checking the 'Show more restore points' checkbox), even after I have deleted all of them in the configure dialog box. I disable system protection, returning the usage to zero, then turn it back on again and create a new restore point. This creates one at around 20MB. However, when I click on the 'System Restore...' it still takes at least 2 mins to load and there are still loads of restore points, including the one I just made, a couple previously today and many for the last two years, which are labelled 'System Image Restore Point'.

Any ideas how I can, maybe, manually delete them and would this improve the speed it takes to show the restore points box? I have a win10 version on VB and that only takes a few seconds to load the restore points.

Matt

Matt316, May 4, 2020
  4. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CRestore Point Viewing Takes So Long :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CRestore Point Viewing Takes So Long :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, May 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Restore Point Viewing Takes So Long - Similar Threads - Restore Point Viewing

2. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  3. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  4. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Computer Log In takes so long.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Log In takes so long.: My computer has been logging in really slowly. When I turn off my computer, when I log in, its take like a full 5 minutes to wait for it to log in. Also when I log in my computer closes all my tabs and says it closed unexpectedly, even though I only set it to sleep....
  6. Update taking so long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update taking so long: I started the whole process like an hour ago and it’s at 18%. I need to get my school work done for today and i would really appreciate info of why it’s taking so long and if there’s anyway to make it faster. Thanks in advance. submitted by /u/iLovePotatoes__ [link]...
  7. Restoration Point Taking Long

Restoration Point Taking Long: I have an MSI GS63 Stealth Model and I'm trying to restore Windows 10 to a previous restoration point on June 14th. The machine already restart, ask for my password but it's been 24hrs since that and it still doesn't finish!! The machine keeps giving me those messages that...
  8. How long is my restore point taking?

How long is my restore point taking?: I had to do a restore point on my pc and now it has to undo almost 400 gb of games&folders. It has been already an hour since and it's 5 A.M. How long do i have to wait? I have a pretty powerful pc if that helps with anything ....
  9. Restore Point Viewing Takes So Long

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore Point Viewing Takes So Long: Hi, When I click on the 'System Restore...' button in the 'System Protection' tab in the 'System Properties' dialog box, the system restore wizard takes between 2 and 5! minutes to appear. The next page (the list of restore points) lists all the restore points (after...
  10. system restoring point taking too long

system restoring point taking too long: It’s been almost 8 hours and its still stuck at “please wait while your windows files and settings are being restored System Restore is restoring the registry...”...