Windows 10: Restore points breaking start menu apps

Discus and support Restore points breaking start menu apps in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Does anyone else have the problem of restoring from a restore point causing the Start Menu Apps to crash? After restoring from a restore point, every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by f14tomcat, May 23, 2015.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Restore points breaking start menu apps

Does anyone else have the problem of restoring from a restore point causing the Start Menu Apps to crash? After restoring from a restore point, every time apps such as Weather, Sports, any Store app requiring communication, crashes. I've been having this problem since build 9941 thru 10122, on my old system and a brand new 7 day old system. Also happens with a clean install with no tweaks or mods of any kind. Re-register does nothing. WSRESET does nothing. Only cure is to re-image from backup. There must be a reason this continues to happen. Been going on now for almost 9 months! Help, please. Thanks.

:)

f14tomcat, May 23, 2015
  2. Bond Win User

Windows 10 Jump List on taskbar when click on to run does not open any programs or history/recent/frequent files

Hello all,

I really appreciate someone can help. I have reinstall/reupgrade 2 times already and same problem shows up:

- Upgrade is fine from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

- Reset, keep nothing, start somewhat fresh (not true clean install)

- Did all the Windows updates, drivers update from mfg, always create restore points

- Reinstall every 3-5 windows applications (not windows store but 3rd party apps), create restore points. Before create restore point, reboot, make sure after reboot, after loading the 3-5 apps just install, the taskbar is working

- 1st (re)install - install Daemon Tools Lite, taskbar, right click, Jump list shows up, but when click on the pinned short cut, not opening, no action and windows not doing anything

- roll back, skip back it still does not work

- 2nd (re)install - skip Daemon Tools Lite, go along, install Chrome and Chrome apps (with App launcher). Taskbar breaks as above, restore to previous restore point, and taskbar is normal again

- Continued but this time installs other apps (MiniTool Partition 9.1, Media Player Classic, Notepad ++, Nvidia Legacy Phyx Driver, Q-Dir, Recurva, UltraISO), taskbar breaks again.

- Restore to previous point, still breaks!

In between, I have already done sfc/scannow, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth many, many times.

Sometime sfc found corrupt files but already successfully repaired but taskbar still breaks

Try enable the admin account. Admin account the taskbar is fine!

Try creating a new user. New User the taskbar is also NOT working like described above.

Interestingly, the Start Menu pinned program jump list exhibit similar breaking behavior.

Let me clarify, this breaking behavior in Taskbar and start menu is very specifc to Windows File Explorer, Excel and other apps pinned to task bar. Chrome pinned shortcut on taskbar is fine.

Also you can single click on the pinned short cut on taskbar and start menu the program would open but right click to bring the jump list, the jump list would show but if you click the program or and pinned folders it would not work.

If you right click on the pinned folders/shortcut on the jump list the context menu would not show (it would have a blank rectangle)

Win 10 is great but this bug is so annoying is really to go back to something like Win 8.1 or Win 7 that everything just works.

Thanks,

3. Start Menu breaks - Results in Critical Error

I've been running Windows 10 for over a month. On two previous occasions the Start menu and search did not open. One time I restored to a previous system break point.

The other time, it did repair itself when I rebooted. Now the problem persists making the machine unusable. When I click on the start menu icon I get Critical Error: Your start menu isn't working. We will try to fix it the next time you logon".

I don't understand the system working fine then breaking for no apparent reason unless an update was installed.

HerefordBob, May 23, 2015
  4. ZAL
    zal Win User

Now that you mention it, I think I have. I did a System Restore yesterday and all of the Modern apps except Settings and (I think) Spartan broke. I got errors about app integrity in the Event Viewer.

The solution for me was to make a new local user account and log in to it. For some reason, this restored them.

Thema:

1. Restore points breaking start menu apps - Similar Threads - Restore points breaking

2. What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?: What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?If you click on it not only it doesnt starts the appropiate app's uninstall wizard but it opens the "Uninstall or change a program" window the one that's still the same since windows 7 and...
  3. What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?: What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?If you click on it not only it doesnt starts the appropiate app's uninstall wizard but it opens the "Uninstall or change a program" window the one that's still the same since windows 7 and...
  4. Need help restoring apps to start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help restoring apps to start menu: Hi, I was having trouble launching the new Microsoft launcher for Minecraft the other day so I searched and found a solution here on the community board and I did what it said. It didn't fix the problem for anyone in the thread, including myself, and instead seems to have...
  5. Need help restoring apps to start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help restoring apps to start menu: Hi, I was having trouble launching the new Microsoft launcher for Minecraft the other day so I searched and found a solution here on the community board and I did what it said. It didn't fix the problem for anyone in the thread, including myself, and instead seems to have...
  6. Restore Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Start Menu Programs: By mistake I removed all my programs from the start menu, they are installed its just they don't show up here on being removed. How to restore them back? Windows: 7 Already Tried: Restarted already...
  7. Windows start menu keeps breaking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu keeps breaking: From time to time the Windows start menu will become unresponsive. I’ve run sfc/scannow, as well as DISM. Neither finds any issues and the only thing that seems to fix it is a restart or restarting the Windows Explorer service. I’m one version behind the May release, but I’m...
  8. Restore start menu apps to default

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore start menu apps to default: I unpinned a lot of the apps from the Start menu, now I'd like to restore it to it's installation default. Any way to do this? 7765
  9. How do I restore Start Menu Apps

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I restore Start Menu Apps: Over time, I've deleted almost all the Apps that showed in the Start menu. Now I'd like to put them all back and set the Start Menu so it shows all the original Apps. I've run this command from a Elevated Power Shell several times and it runs to completion then stops and...
  10. Superfetch breaking start menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch breaking start menu: Hi all, Just made this account to see if anyone can help. I am running windows 10 on my desktop and the start menu broke on me. I did all the recommended fixes for it and that seemed to work for a few days then every time I would completely power down my desktop, the next...