Windows 10: Restore points not saving shadow copies of files

Discus and support Restore points not saving shadow copies of files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I read that restore points save files and on the user's profile that you may restore later if you delete or edit them. I've been testing this and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by antonio3535, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Restore points not saving shadow copies of files

I read that restore points save files and on the user's profile that you may restore later if you delete or edit them.
    I've been testing this and couldn't see it working. Am I missing something?

Example:
    - I created a restore point then edited a file in my c:/users/username/documents
    - I edited the file then right-clicked it > restore previous versions, shouldn't it show the previous version of the file before the restore point?

Restore Previous Versions of Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10

Am I misunderstanding how this works?
    Any help much welcome

:)

antonio3535, Jul 10, 2020

2. Restore Point and Shadow Copy

Greg Carmack,

Many thanks. Followed your suggestions for System Restore and although the Win 10 menus are different I found that System Protection was already “On” Turned off, rebooted and turned back “On” and was able to create a Restore Point for first time
    in months.

Followed your suggestions on recovering the ability to create “Shadow Copy,” and create a backup my files was also successful. Had spent many hours following Microsoft Support instructions to no avail.

Again, many, many thanks.

Peter Schinkel, Jul 10, 2020
  3. Restore Point and Shadow Copy

Cannot create a Restore Point and cannot create a shadow copy for backup. Are the two related? How can I resolve these issues?

Peter Schinkel, Jul 10, 2020
  4. Linda1976 Win User

Restore points not saving shadow copies of files

Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application.

I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point was created successfully. But when I went to System Restore and checked to see if the automatic Restore Point was there… it wasn’t. Mind you, I first
    found out I have to actually schedule the automatic restore points.. so I first completed setting it up a couple of days ago. I read to give it a week to show up in System Restore…is that true?

I always do Manual Restore Points, but, I was in shock as Windows was always there .. for us .. to have that preprogrammed when you get your computer. Such is Life.

After not seeing the Successfully Created Automatic Restore Point in System Restore as a Choice for me to use… I checked the Volume Shadow Copy in Services. It is set to run Automatic, yet from what I saw in Services… it wasn’t actually “running”. in the
    left side of the pane, when you click on Volume Shadow Copy, it says “start the service”.

So I went to the Event Viewer and I saw that , after my Automatic Restore Point (according to Task Scheduler) was created, shortly after, the Volume Shadow Copy had an message in Event Viewer .. that said “VSS Service is shutting down due to idle time out”.

When I Googled the Event ID 8224.. there were 2 schools of thought: One said that Microsoft said .. back in 2011 (I found the article).. that there is nothing wrong, just ignore the message in Event Viewer. Then… another school of thought said that the
    “VSS shutting down due to idle time out” .. indicates File Corruption and can interfere with System Restore Points being created.

So, I ran the DISM ScanHealth — no corrupted files, I ran a “SFC /scannow” process in command prompt .. no errors, and then I did a Check Disk. .. also .. no errors to correct.

I was hesitant to run the DISM RestoreHealth, since I didn’t see any errors.

1) Does anyone know how I can see the Automatic Restore Points and the Windows created Restore Points in the System Restore window? I click “see more restore points” and neither the Automatic Restore Point or the Windows created Restore Points were there.

2) Also, which school of thought is correct about VSS Event ID 8224 VSS Service is shutting down to idle time out”? the old Windows thought that says nothing is wrong and ignore it or the other school of thought that says there is potential file corruption?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Linda1976, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

Restore points not saving shadow copies of files

1. Restore points not saving shadow copies of files - Similar Threads - Restore points saving

2. Restore point - Are downloaded files saved?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore point - Are downloaded files saved?: Downloaded files count as personal files right? Like documents, pictures, etc. and won't be removed? I don't mean games that are put into directories, just downloaded files in general. Will they be kept?...
  3. Restore point - Are downloaded files saved?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore point - Are downloaded files saved?: Downloaded files count as personal files right? Like documents, pictures, etc. and won't be removed? I don't mean games that are put into directories, just downloaded files in general. Will they be kept?...
  4. Restore point - Are downloaded files saved?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. "The restore point could not be created for the following reason:" "The shadow copy...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "The restore point could not be created for the following reason:" "The shadow copy...: It shows this when I tried to create a system restore point https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-point-could-not-be-created-for-the/c0acad2d-9e73-437a-892a-ff67cbb68863
  6. Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points: I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application. I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point...
  7. Restore Point and Shadow Copy

Restore Point and Shadow Copy: Cannot create a Restore Point and cannot create a shadow copy for backup. Are the two related? How can I resolve these issues? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point-and-shadow-copy/566c838a-0490-45a4-9490-3ee22a860661
  8. Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?

Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?: Apparently, VSC interferes with my Acronis backups. I would like to stop the service to run the backups, and restart afterward. I don't want to disable it, because I'm aware that will delete my restore points, which I definitly don't want to do. Can I just stop the service...
  9. Shadow Copy Error 0x80042306 and Not Able to Create Restore Point

Shadow Copy Error 0x80042306 and Not Able to Create Restore Point: I installed the new Win 10 Update [took all afternoon and right up t0 2130 at night]. It went O.K.; I had only to retrieve icons for some folders, but I found I could not create a Restore Point for the above reason. I looked at the Event Log (!), I searched for answers...
  10. Restore and Shadow Copy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore and Shadow Copy: What is the difference between System Restore and Shadow Copy? I am familiar with the first, but only came across references to the second recently. 56132