Windows 10: Restore points

Discus and support Restore points in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; A bit over a month ago I activated creation of system restore points on Windows 10. However, I just looked at the list restore point and am confused.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pokeefe0001, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Restore points

A bit over a month ago I activated creation of system restore points on Windows 10. However, I just looked at the list restore point and am confused. There was one created when I (unsuccessfully) tried to take an image backup, 4 for when I was installing drivers and/or uninstalling programs, and one (count it - one) automatic restore point taken 2 days ago. There are none related to Windows updates even though Windows maintenance has been applied.

This prompts some questions:
    • What prompted the "automatic" creation of a Restore Point, and how to I configure it to happen more often?
    • Does Windows 10 maintenance create some other kind of backup image when maintenance is applied? If so, does that other thing have something similar the the System Restore's "Scan for effected programs" function?

Behind these questions is a deeper one: If I uninstall a Cumulative Update fix, is all the maintenance for the current build removed, or does Windows uninstall just the new maintenance that was installed when the fix was applied? If all maintenance is uninstalled then I really need to start creating more Restore Points.

:)

pokeefe0001, Apr 24, 2016

2. System Restore Points: No check points created.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check:

• Press Windows key + X and click on Control Panel
    • Search for Recovery, and then select Recovery.
    • Click on Configure System Restore.
    • Check if Configure and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.
    To configure Restore point manually kindly refer to the below given link and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-system-restore-point

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Apr 24, 2016
  3. System Restore Points: No check points created.

Does windows 10 make restore points on it's own. Have had windows 10 installed for a few days and when I checked for restore points, there were none. I make my own at this time. Sorry it did make one when I installed Classic View. I installed windows updates
    today, no restore points were made before they were installed.

So what settings are we missing to get system or other restore points in windows 10., are is this another problem Microsoft forgot to fix.

Original title: System Restore Points.

camper1935, Apr 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Restore points

Hi, you've discovered Win 10's policy with system restore is significantly different. Restore points aren't created when Win updates occur.

I use disk imaging- and note that experienced people here comment that sometimes restore points don't work, and disk imaging is repeatedly strongly recommended. Some use it and don't use restore points. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage.

That said, I use a scheduled task i have created which launches a script I've downloaded to create a daily restore point.

You may find this helpful:
    System Restore Point shortcut - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Please feel free to browse and search the extensive Tutorial section.

I guess with the cumulative update you may be thinking of the gpedit.msc bug introduced by the last cumulative update.

I've chosen to uninstall it, but actually I can't answer your question definitively.
    Of interest:
    Why you should worry about Windows 10 cumulative updates | InfoWorld

dalchina, Apr 24, 2016
  5. Give the "Belt and Braces" method a try.I use Macrium reflect Free to clone the disk every few days and System Restore when downloading and trying a new programme.So far so good.

joeandmarg0, Apr 25, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
  7. I understand the value of backups. I have, and use, Acronis True Image. But I would still rather use restore points than have to do a whole image recovery. And I still don't understand one of my restore points - one that claims to be an automatic restore point created 2 days ago. What in Windows 10 automatically creates a restore point?

pokeefe0001, Apr 25, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

Restore points

You have to know what happened 2 days ago that could have triggerd that restore point. And if you want to rely on the restore points, you will have to accept the impomderable elements of that path.

9. That is the (or at least a) puzzling point. All the other restore points are labeled with some description rather than "Automatic".

I did install Office 2013 maintenance on that day. The only way to manually control maintenance to Office 2013 is to switch between "No updates" and "Automatic updates", and "Automatic updates" does contain the word "automatic". If Office maintenance triggers creation of a restore point, the Restore Point could have been labeled "automatic" rather than, say, "Office 2013", I suppose.

Here is the list of my restore points. Most of them have somewhat reasonable names.

Restore points [​IMG]

<sigh> There was so much less to ponder in Win7.

pokeefe0001, Apr 25, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Some programs' installation and uninstallation trigger creation of System restore points too and not necessarily label them with their name. Revo Uninstaller automatically makes a new restore point before uninstalls any program for instance.
    Space taken by restore points can be adjusted to suit needs. I leave enough space for 2 - 3 points only because in that time I can always find what could have made particular problem. It works in FIFO mode so last one gets deleted when there is no more space allocated and new point is created.

CountMike, Apr 25, 2016
  11. Datapod Win User
    FWIW I use this Restore Point Creator

I get a nice fresh restore point at noon every day. (schedule I chose)

That's in addition to regular system images. Personally I have found that a simple System Restore in the event something breaks can, at times, be preferable, faster, easier than having to restore an image.

Just my opinion. YMMV

D

Datapod, Apr 27, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    That is true if the restore point works. Half of the time they don't.

13. Restore points

Interesting. I've done only 4 or 5 restores, but I've never had a problem. When happens when they fail? Do they just not restore anything, or do they mess something up?

pokeefe0001, Apr 27, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    It is not that they fail. They just disappear. There are a variety of circumstances under whish that can happen. I don't have a complete list though.

15. Hmm. Now that you mention it, 2 of my restore points have disappeared since I started this thread (and a manually initiated one has been added). It does seem to have anything to do with size - I'm nowhere near the configured space. Is there a maximum count of restore points specified somewhere?

pokeefe0001, Apr 27, 2016
Thema:

Restore points

1. Restore points - Similar Threads - Restore points

2. 0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  3. 0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  4. 0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  6. Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  7. Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.

8. I cannot create restore point!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cannot create restore point!: Hello, I have a question! When i try to create restore point, first it shows and error 0x81000203 and after that in System properties / System Protection i cannot create restore point and it cannot find any available drivers! Pls help!...
  9. windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...

windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...: First of all, i hate windows update to the bones. second of all, the title. installed the update because i had no choice this is the update ->...
  10. windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...: First of all, i hate windows update to the bones. second of all, the title. installed the update because i had no choice this is the update ->...