Windows 10: Restore previous partitions of external HDD

Discus and support Restore previous partitions of external HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My windows 10 crashed while my external hard drive was running. When I rebooted it deleted all the partitions on external drive and created a single... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MIQ11, Oct 3, 2021.

1. MIQ11 Win User

Restore previous partitions of external HDD

My windows 10 crashed while my external hard drive was running. When I rebooted it deleted all the partitions on external drive and created a single new partition. How to revert this and restore the data from it?

:)

MIQ11, Oct 3, 2021
  2. siddobson Win User

External HDD Partitions

I have an external HDD. It had multiple partitions. I removed partitions with this procedure: Press the "Start" button, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press "Enter." 3. Right-click the existing partition on the external hard drive, select "Delete Volume" and
    choose to remove the partition. I did this to remove all partitions and NOW the computer doesn't recognize the drive in file explorer. What can I do?

siddobson, Oct 3, 2021
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 3, 2021
  4. PSmithy Win User

File History Windows 10 searching for an old external HDD and will not restore previous version.

I'm trying to restore a previous version of my documents folder and File History won't restore to any location. Unfortunately, a sub-folder of the documents folder was deleted and then permanently deleted from the recycling bin. When I try to 'Restore to',
    File History keeps looking for an old external HDD that no longer exists.

The error I get is:

TOSHIBA EXT (DRestore previous partitions of external HDD :) (E:\) is disconnected. Reconnect the drive and try again.

I've tried renaming external HDDs but it doesn't work. When I go to set up file history and try to set add a new drive, no matter what HDD i plug in, nothing appears. I've tried multiple slots and nothing shows up. When I open the drive in windows explorer,
    they show up and I can consume the files without issue.

Unfortunately, the laptops HDD is only 110GB and the restore needs approx 4.5 GB of extra space to restore. I've checked and there's nothing much more I can delete from the C:. The restore file is over 15Gb.

I've read through similar issues on this site and followed the recommendations. I've tried downloading Ease US, Recuva, and other apps to access the old restore file but they don't find the previous version. The folder was deleted approx two weeks ago now.

Is there a path I can navigate towards to access the restore files? That might work and allow me to copy them. Really seeking the ability to restore the files to the external HDD though and get File History working that way.

Thank you in advance.

PSmithy, Oct 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Restore previous partitions of external HDD - Similar Threads - Restore previous partitions

2. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  3. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  4. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Restore last data on external HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore last data on external HDD: I think that I know the answer to this question but I have to ask before I plunge ahead. I have a 2TB external HDD that is attached to my media server (WDTV Live). I'm not sure what happened but the WDTV stopped recognizing the HDD. I connected it to my computer and the...
  6. Windows 10 Backing Up To Partitioned External HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Backing Up To Partitioned External HDD: I've split an external HDD into two partitions A and B. The HDD initially had some files from another pc stored on it in section A that I do not want to lose. I've created a NTFS formatted partition in section B and am trying to back it up using "control panel/all control...
  7. HDD & Partition

HDD & Partition: Hello, I have two internal HDD on my PC. So can I combine two HDD to one partition ? Can I know Pros and Cons of combining like this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-partition/10ea9c37-41dd-47cd-ac5e-2541c2ebb4ed
  8. External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD: What would happen to the Windows 10 installation on my SSD if I connected an external HDD with Linux installed on it, whilst using Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd/54e8dff5-f3f2-4f6d-8365-d6c9969434cb
  9. External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD: Hello, I recently used the Media Creation tool to reinstall windows on my system, and the drive was set to 31.9GB instead of the original size 1TB. I fixed that issue, by extending the volume. anyway, if I format it, it doesn't show up in This PC. so I had to create a...
  10. External HDD Lost all iles as if partitioned

External HDD Lost all iles as if partitioned: So I have a 500GB external Toshiba 3.0 USB HDD. It has around 200GB of data on it. It was working fine up until about two weeks ago. I noticed a week ago or so when I tried to access some data there, or move some files to it, that it was not being seen. I just today have...