Windows 10: Restore previous Windows backup files

Discus and support Restore previous Windows backup files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I backed up my hard drive using the Windows 10 Backup tool in July 2019 on an external hard drive. My hard drive crashed and I had to replace it. Now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SusanSchulz1, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Restore previous Windows backup files

I backed up my hard drive using the Windows 10 Backup tool in July 2019 on an external hard drive. My hard drive crashed and I had to replace it. Now I am trying to restore my backup from July and can't open the files. How do I restore a backup from an external hard drive. All I can find is how to restore files from the file history.

And yes, since my crash I have signed up for an automatic backup and recovery that runs nightly.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

:)

SusanSchulz1, Feb 29, 2020
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Stuck at the restore to previous version loop

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• What was the issue you were facing in Windows 10?
    • What made the system to be shut down while in the process of restoring?
    • Do you have the backup of the Windows 10 or the previous Windows?

Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Restore previous Windows backup files

Restoring a backup to a different computer

I think your reply answers my question. If I remember correctly, I think my backup has a system image, which can screw my previous installation. Now, I am thinking of doing this

• creating a backup of my work computer
    • restoring the backup of my previous computer
    • recovering files
    • restoring the backup of my work computer

parkerhaag, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Restore previous Windows backup files

1. Restore previous Windows backup files - Similar Threads - Restore previous backup

2. backup or restore previous version of window os

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup or restore previous version of window os: Hey I format my windows 7 and install windows 10 but a huge mistake by me that i forgot about my e drive bitlocker password which i saved in windows 7 c drive so please somebody help me to recover my important files....
  3. Get File History to recognize previous backup

Get File History to recognize previous backup: I had my files stored in File History on a network drive. I have verified that they're all there. But when I go to restore them, File History can't seem to find them. They're in a folder name/computer name/Data/C/Users/username/everything... However, when I go to File...
  4. Windows 10 restore backup from previous version - Permission to access files denied. Take...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 restore backup from previous version - Permission to access files denied. Take...: I had upgrade to Windows 10 and had backups of User Documents, Pictures, etc. that restored to a temp location on the new Windows 10 PC but I could not read the users data to copy to the new home folders. I finally found a method of changing ownership to a user that works....
  5. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...
  6. Restoration of previous version of windows

Restoration of previous version of windows: I was playing video suddenly chrome stopped responding so i press shutdown button and it started updating windows on 13% i again press shutdown it stopped updating and now from past 2hrs its showing blank screen saying Attempting to recover installation and restoring your...
  7. Previous versions of files in restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Previous versions of files in restore point: Searched, didn't see this one. One of the most useful features of Win 7 was when you could pull a previous version of a file out of the restore point. But now when I go to configure a system restore it isn't listed as an option as it was in 7. However, in a context menu...
  8. Backup and Restore Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Files: Hello and niceday to everyone. just joined this win10forum. I just finished upgrading from my win7 to this free win10Pro upgrade from microsoft, since yesterday everything works as normal and better than the previous win7. First thing I did after completing updates and...
  9. Restore to previous build.??????

Restore to previous build.??????: I'm on Version 1607 Build 14905 Initially thought my problem was only Adobe Reader DC not opening. Having many problems that SFC or DISM didn't fix. "Start", "Power" does nothing, just disappears back to desktop (Right click option works) Can't open "Windows Update"...
  10. Restoring Previous Version

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring Previous Version: So I download Windows 10 from here: Windows 10 Whilst I run it, no questions show up, asking anything, but in videos I see questions, asking about Updates and your current PC data. Once it completes, and restarts my PC, it finishes, then goes onto a screen saying...