Windows 10: Restore previous Windows backup files

Discus and support Restore previous Windows backup files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I backed up my hard drive using the Windows 10 Backup tool in July 2019 on an external hard drive. My hard drive crashed and I had to replace it. Now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SusanSchulz1, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Restore previous Windows backup files

I backed up my hard drive using the Windows 10 Backup tool in July 2019 on an external hard drive. My hard drive crashed and I had to replace it. Now I am trying to restore my backup from July and can't open the files. How do I restore a backup from an external hard drive. All I can find is how to restore files from the file history.

And yes, since my crash I have signed up for an automatic backup and recovery that runs nightly.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

:)

SusanSchulz1, Feb 29, 2020
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Stuck at the restore to previous version loop

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• What was the issue you were facing in Windows 10?
    • What made the system to be shut down while in the process of restoring?
    • Do you have the backup of the Windows 10 or the previous Windows?

Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Restore previous Windows backup files

Restoring a backup to a different computer

I think your reply answers my question. If I remember correctly, I think my backup has a system image, which can screw my previous installation. Now, I am thinking of doing this

• creating a backup of my work computer
    • restoring the backup of my previous computer
    • recovering files
    • restoring the backup of my work computer

parkerhaag, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Restore previous Windows backup files

1. Restore previous Windows backup files - Similar Threads - Restore previous backup

2. Restore Files from Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Files from Backup: Hi I have some files on an external HDD which I would like to check to see what they are so when I click on the HDD a box appears asking if I want to restore files from this backup, my question is where will these files go & how do I access them. Also below in the same box it...
  3. Restore Files from Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Files from Backup: Hi I have some files on an external HDD which I would like to check to see what they are so when I click on the HDD a box appears asking if I want to restore files from this backup, my question is where will these files go & how do I access them. Also below in the same box it...
  4. Windows backup/restore and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows backup/restore and file history: I have a new (late December) Dell 5500, 512 GB SSD about half empty. I have File Explorer access to a 2TB NAS (WD Mybook Live) via home wifi network. I'm starting with win 10 native s/w. I'll research other popular programs (macrium etc) because multiple attempts using the...
  5. How to prevent restoring previous versions of files from backups in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent restoring previous versions of files from backups in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you want to prevent Other users from restoring previous versions of files from […] This article How to prevent restoring previous versions of files from backups in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Backup Solution/ Software for restoring Windows to a previous state

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup Solution/ Software for restoring Windows to a previous state: Hello,Could anyone please recommend a software which can be used to restore Windows to a previous date/ version when it gets messed up due to bad update/ install/ malware. I do not require a backup solution for images, music, documents, etc. What I want is a software which...
  7. Previous backup not appearing in File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Previous backup not appearing in File History: My PC laptop is having a keyboard issue, and it was recommended that I back up my files and reset my computer + clear files to see if the issue resolved itself. After resetting my computer, I am trying to restore my files to the backup I made on an external hard drive using...
  8. backup or restore previous version of window os

backup or restore previous version of window os: Hey I format my windows 7 and install windows 10 but a huge mistake by me that i forgot about my e drive bitlocker password which i saved in windows 7 c drive so please somebody help me to recover my important files....
  9. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...
  10. Backup and Restore Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Files: Hello and niceday to everyone. just joined this win10forum. I just finished upgrading from my win7 to this free win10Pro upgrade from microsoft, since yesterday everything works as normal and better than the previous win7. First thing I did after completing updates and...