Windows 10: Restore special permissions of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and subs

Discus and support Restore special permissions of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and subs in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello @all... it is about C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and its subfolders like Fitbit.Fitbit_2.44.1997.0_x64__6mqt6hf9g46tw 1 I had troubles... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by 5ggggg, May 30, 2020.

1. 5ggggg Win User

Restore special permissions of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and subs

Hello @all... it is about
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
    and its subfolders like
    Fitbit.Fitbit_2.44.1997.0_x64__6mqt6hf9g46tw

1 I had troubles deinstalling junk apps. So I changed the owner of all Files and Folders to the admin group
    2 I added read permissions for all packages and users with inheritance and replaced existing permissions.

BUT doing that I lost

3 this special permission WIN://SYSAPPID Contains "AppName" shown on the upper part of the screenshot
    (C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\828B5831.HiddenCityMysteryofShadows_1.34.3402.0_neutral_~_ytsefhwckbdv6)

4 The Fitbit app (and many others) lost this permission. It is shown in the lower part of the screenshot

5 Right now everything works until the next W10 update (where trusted installer is set as owner, the special perm. is still missing and permissions for users and packages got lost). So I have to redo all the owner and permission settings again. And in the meantime the file associations to those apps also got lost) !!!

6 I saved .acl from the upper (correct) app with icacls and it looks like this 828B5831.HiddenCityMysteryofShadows_1.34.3402.0_neutral_~_ytsefhwckbdv6
    D:AI (XA;OICI;0x1200a9;;;BU;(WIN://SYSAPPID Contains "828B5831.HiddenCityMysteryofShadows_ytsefhwckbdv6")) ...

Now i count on You ;-):
    How can I restore this special permissions including the owner trustedInstaller for all those subfolders and files
    ? Especially how is the solution for the gerneric part of the AppName.

7 Maybe it could be some kind of FOR loop iterating the folders layer below C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. And then set the inheritance for all subfolders and files below those.

8 OR maybe an easier alternative is to reinstall all those apps. In that case I would be very greatfull for the right powershell commands ;-). I tried
    Code:
    but the special permission is still not present :-(

Restore special permissions of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and subs [​IMG]

:)

5ggggg, May 30, 2020
  2. Eagle51 Win User

Getting full access to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Hey x509,
    IIRC ... it's not actually a corrupt entry, but a special permission/condition (Exists:WIN://SYSAPPID) for Users(Pc-Name\Users) and shouldn't be removed. If you must change permissions on the WindowsApps folder and/or sub folders/files .... I suggest you get familiar with ICACLS first and save the current WindowsApps Folder / Sub Folders / File permissions to a acl.txt file, so you can restore them in case you break something (which is very likely when messing with permissions)

ICACLS - iCacls - Modify Access Control List - Windows CMD - SS64.com

Eagle51, May 30, 2020
  3. Eagle51 Win User
    Why I can not open C:\Program Files\WindowsApps ?

Hey camelia,
    FYI .. that "access control entry is corrupt" message is misleading. It's actually a special permission/condition that is suppose to be there and I would not change/mess with it .... IIRC it's the user DOMAIN\USERS with the Condition Exists (Win://SYSAPPID)

BTW ... if you're just wanting to take a look inside the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps you should be able to do it by opening a Command Prompt as Admin and cd C:\Program Files\WindowsApps then dir to list the folders.

Eagle51, May 30, 2020
  4. Restore special permissions of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and subs

Fix permissions of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Restore WindowsApps permissions as follows, using an elevated command prompt:

source: Reset default ACLs for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Stijn Bousard, May 30, 2020
Thema:

Restore special permissions of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and subs

1. Restore special permissions of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and subs - Similar Threads - Restore special permissions

2. Windows permissions in sub folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows permissions in sub folders: Hi! I have a folder in windows and this folder contains sub folders. I want to allow group of users to view the files in the main folder but deny them to drag a folder inside another folder. And I want this group to have full control permissions inside all the sub...
  3. Windows permissions in sub folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows permissions in sub folders: Hi! I have a folder in windows and this folder contains sub folders. I want to allow group of users to view the files in the main folder but deny them to drag a folder inside another folder. And I want this group to have full control permissions inside all the sub...
  4. Windows permissions in sub folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. what are special permissions in properties?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what are special permissions in properties?: What are special properties in permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-special-permissions-in-properties/480a42e2-c445-4ff9-9777-b2104b6a0117
  6. what are special permissions in properties?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what are special permissions in properties?: What are special properties in permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-special-permissions-in-properties/480a42e2-c445-4ff9-9777-b2104b6a0117
  7. How to restore “special permissions” for Authenticated Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore “special permissions” for Authenticated Users: So what I did was:Opened file explorerRight clicked on the D drive, aka Data D:Clicked permissionsClicked securityClicked editDeleted the “Authenticated Users”And clicked applyWhen I restored the Authenticated Users profile, the last box labeled “Special permissions” is...
  8. How to restore “special permissions” for Authenticated Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore “special permissions” for Authenticated Users: So what I did was:Opened file explorerRight clicked on the D drive, aka Data D:Clicked permissionsClicked securityClicked editDeleted the “Authenticated Users”And clicked applyWhen I restored the Authenticated Users profile, the last box labeled “Special permissions” is...
  9. How to restore “special permissions” for Authenticated Users

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Special permission

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Special permission: I never had problems with my computer before. But this past weekend I did have a problem, I started up my computer and when I did I got a popup. [ATTACH] Here it is. And I tried to fix it by looking it up and just looking through threads about this happing to other people...