Windows 10: restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Discus and support restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; the recovery module does not see my external drive, u see it after mountvol... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MichaelSilver1, Jul 9, 2019.

1. restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

the recovery module does not see my external drive, u see it after mountvol

:)

MichaelSilver1, Jul 9, 2019
  2. Try3 Win User

How to restore system image backup

Ryan,

To restore from a system image by booting with an installation disk or System repair disk -

1. [Boot from the disk]
    2. Select language, formats & keyboard,
    3. Select Repair your computer,
    4. Troubleshoot,
    5. Advanced options, [and see note ***]
    6. System image recovery,
    7. Accept the latest image identified by the system or, if you have multiple images saved on your backup drive, use Select a image to chose the one you want.
    8. The rest is entirely menu driven. Whilst there are some options that can be chosen, the defaults are normally off for all these and should be accepted.

I am not familiar with use of a Windows 10 "Recovery drive" but I would expect only the opening steps to be any different. Everything after selecting System image recovery would, I expect, be the same.

If you get any untoward events such as warnings about formatting drives, please take a photo of the screen and post it here.

If, when booting from an installation disk etc, you are interrupted by this dialog, just select No. The only time I have seen this dialog was when I was restoring a system image straight after having installed a new Windows 10 version.

restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore [​IMG]

*** Do be aware that your normal drive letter assignments do not [temporarily] apply when booting from an installation disk etc or using the onboard restore facility ["WRE"] so from the Advanced options you can select Command prompt then use Dir C: then Dir D: and so on commands to look at each drive in turn to figure out what each one is temporarily called [ignore the X drive, it is a virtual drive controlling the computer during this procedure]. When you have finished, type Exit to close the Command prompt and it will take you back to the Choose an option screen where you can select Troubleshoot, my step 4 above.

Denis

Try3, Jul 9, 2019
  3. b_in_vt Win User
    Windows 10 System Image restore did not restore D partition

My SSD in my Lenovo Yoga pro failed and before I had it replaced, I made a system image backup using Windows software. After much struggle, many hours of scouring blogs for answers, I managed to get the system to boot from my recovery usb drive and restore
    the image I created.

However, the restoration process did not restore the D partition, even though I backed it up.

Can I get the restored system to partition the drive properly without doing the boot from USB again and starting over?

Did I miss a step when I did the restore?

Thanks in advance for any help - it is extremely frustrating to use this backup system.

b_in_vt, Jul 9, 2019
  4. restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Unable to use System restore from a windows 10 image on Windows 7 with error: "windows cannot find a system image-the usb drive is not visible"

Please help me restore windows 10

raymond.bell, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

1. restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore - Similar Threads - restore system image

2. D drive missing in System Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    D drive missing in System Restore: System restore does not show D: drive after restoring an image, it does show in File Explorer and Disk Management. Ran SFC /scannow and no error found. System restore did show C: missing and that was fixed by disabling system restore for that item. I have checked BIOS and...
  3. D drive missing in System Restore

in Windows 10 Support
    D drive missing in System Restore: System restore does not show D: drive after restoring an image, it does show in File Explorer and Disk Management. Ran SFC /scannow and no error found. System restore did show C: missing and that was fixed by disabling system restore for that item. I have checked BIOS and...
  4. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  5. System restore and system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore and system image: So I regularly create backups on my computer using the windows 7 restore tool from the control panel. There comes an option for creating the system image for drive C which is an SSD. I have heard that if the windows goes corrupt or is accidentally reset I can restore the...
  6. System Restore from Image

System Restore from Image: After a recent MS update, my system crashed completely, so I did a clean install and am trying to restore from an image. Windows finds the image and goes through a -very- long process after which it says the restore was successful, but when it reboots, it is back to the...
  7. Backup and restore sees d drive as system drive and wants to image it

Backup and restore sees d drive as system drive and wants to image it: Backup and Restore Windows 7 see my D Drive as a system drive and insists on imaging it. I have some Windows Apps on D that I don't want to put on C for space reasons. The new Flight Simulator is very large and I don't want it on C. Thanks Pat...
  8. Restoring from system image

Restoring from system image: Hi there, My hard disk(1Tb capacity) recently died and nothing was recoverable. It was replaced by a SSD (500 Gb) capacity. There was about 800Gb available on the old drive so space wasn't a problem. The old drive had a C: and D: partition. I supplied the technicians with...
  9. Restoring from system image

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring from system image: Hi there, My hard disk(1Tb capacity) recently died and nothing was recoverable. It was replaced by a SSD (500 Gb) capacity. There was about 800Gb available on the old drive so space wasn't a problem. The old drive had a C: and D: partition. I supplied the technicians with...
  10. System Image not Restoring.

System Image not Restoring.: Hi guys, so i reset my Toshiba laptop to its original factory settings and it came with windows 10 home. Then i had to clean install the windows on my laptop again because i was having some trouble with the touchpad drivers, so i wiped C. drive fully and installed window 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stop command prompt from closing image restore

2. repair system image from dos