Windows 10: Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created

Discus and support Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How can I determine where the vhdx is in Disk Management? I attached it to Disk Management, but I didn't pay attention to what was there before, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Addison Beach Cutler, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created

How can I determine where the vhdx is in Disk Management? I attached it to Disk Management, but I didn't pay attention to what was there before, so I don't want to delete anything if it was already there before I attached the vhdx Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created d55672fd-6aef-496a-a2a3-a51ef650879f?upload=true.jpg Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created 3f2739df-8fc1-4e63-911e-cd37d2506034?upload=true.jpg Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created 8343a1da-15d7-497b-b70a-3d33007aaa41?upload=true.jpg

:)

Addison Beach Cutler, Apr 28, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Are you trying to restore the system image or create a system image?
    • Are you able to see the external drive in File Explorer?
    • Could you please briefly explain the procedure that you are following to initiate a system image restore?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the articles on
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
    and

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device
    created by Andre Da Costa.

Please reply with the detailed information, to help you in a better way.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 28, 2020
  3. System Image Restoration in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I would like you to answer the following questions:

• Could you please tell me are you facing any issue with your Windows 10 computer?
    • Could you please explain in detail “Windows 10 restoration of system Image affects all the existing partitions instead of only C:\”?
    When we create system image, by default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer
    if your hard disk or computer ever stops working.

In Windows 10 We have an option to select other drives while creating System Image backup. If you have selected other drives too when creating System Image backup it will affect those drives too.

I suggest you to create a system image and check.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below methods.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.

• Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.

• Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.

• Select the driver, where you want to Create system Image.

• Follow on screen instruction.
    Please get back to us with the updated information. WE will be happy to assist you further.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Apr 28, 2020
  4. jellyroll Win User

Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

AndreTen - I have tried Disk Cleanup but unfortunately the problem entries did not go away.
    I feel certain Bree (VIP Member) has identified the correct cause of this problem as above and his adviced solution should also do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Bree - Thank you. I must admit that I did use 'Create system image' a few times in 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' instead of 'Backup now' and these ghost entries relate to those actions. You have rightly identified the cause of this issue.
    It is crazy that Microsoft has put two different backup options causing the issue of these ghost restore points.

Regarding your advice on how to rectify the issue - I must add that I am not very computer savvy and feel reluctant to use Diskpart utility etc to delete 'WindowsImageBackup\SPPMetadataCache' and 'WindowsImageBackup\Catalog folders' from within 'System Volume Information' folder with command Prompt as I fear damaging the pc by making any mistakes, as I have never done this before.

Please advice if there may be another simpler method to delete the above folders OR if you are able and have time to post a step by step instructions (with pictures if possible) on how to follow your advice. Much appreciated.

jellyroll, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created

1. Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created - Similar Threads - Restore Using System

2. Using the image from create a system image.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using the image from create a system image.: I used the backup tool to "create a system image" I have it on a USB. How do I use it when I need it? I am envisioning a total failure of the system and having to start from boot up. But I would guess it can and will be a less catastrophic thing if I do get a failure. so how...
  3. Create system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create system image: I have heard roumors that the function "Create System Image" that is included in Windows 10 will be removed soon. Can anyone tell me when Microsoft intends to remove this function from Windows 10? Kind regards...
  4. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  5. Is it possible to create and restore a backup without a system image?

Is it possible to create and restore a backup without a system image?: I have wasted a week trying to backup my computer because I've been warned the hard drive will fail. Every time I get to 97% - which takes a day - it stalls. I have run chkdsk - also one day - and found some problems. I have a feeling each time I run it and each time I...
  6. Can't create System Image using the built-in image creator

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't create System Image using the built-in image creator: When I try to create a system image by going to Control Panel in Large Icon View>Backup and Restore (Windows 7) >Create a system image>select the backup location and press next, it ask me to confirm my settings then I hit Start Backup and when I do it says "Preparing to...
  7. Creating a system image

Creating a system image: Hi, I wanted to create a system image . I have some screen shots for the issue.Note that this has not been an issue before 2004 version. As you can see in the screen shots "Back up and Restore" includes D: in system but in the computer management it is not a...
  8. Use System Image restore

Use System Image restore: I had done a fresh install around middle of May. Kept MS out of it during install. Result was Administrator Account which I later hid, Me as Administrator local, Tester local, and Me with MS account. Setup backups and SR and C as system, D as programs, and E as data. A few...
  9. CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE

CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE: Trying to create a system image for my Windows 10 desktop to a usb 3.0 flash drive formatted for NTFS as required. Receiving an error message "the drive is not a valid backup location". Can anyone help?...
  10. Restoring system using system image windows 10

Restoring system using system image windows 10: when restoring computer from system image in windows 10, does the target drive have to be at least the same size as the drive containing the image. I'm getting contradictory answers from various forums. also does it have to be an external drive ?...