Windows 10: Restore W10 File History backup on W8.1 - possible?

Discus and support Restore W10 File History backup on W8.1 - possible? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is it possible to restore a File History backup from Windows 10 to a Windows 8.1 installation? I do know it is possible to restore a backup from W10 to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nazeeya.ravens, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Restore W10 File History backup on W8.1 - possible?

Is it possible to restore a File History backup from Windows 10 to a Windows 8.1 installation? I do know it is possible to restore a backup from W10 to W10.

I am considering downgrading my laptop from W10 to W8.1. Obviously the first step is to back up all of my data there before reinstallation; if this is possible, then I don't have to manually copy my data to my backup drive, which should make things a bit easier.

:)

nazeeya.ravens, Jul 30, 2019
  2. Chun888 Win User

W10 Backup & Restore and File History

In W10, can I use both Backup & Restore and File History at the same time ? What are the differences between them?

Chun888, Jul 30, 2019
  3. W10 Backup & Restore and File History

Hi,

Yes, you can use both Backup and Restore and File History at the same time.

Here are the difference between File History and Backup and Restore:

File History backs up copies of files that are in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC.

Backup and Restore back up files or create system image backups. A system image is an exact copy of a drive. It includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You
    can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk stops working.

For more information, your may check these articles:

File History in Windows

Back up and restore your files

Keep us posted.

Antoneth Ber, Jul 30, 2019
  4. Chun888 Win User

Restore W10 File History backup on W8.1 - possible?

W10 Backup & Restore and File History

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I use Backup and Restore, and cherry-pick items I want to backup in User, then won't File History be useless?

Chun888, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

Restore W10 File History backup on W8.1 - possible?

1. Restore W10 File History backup on W8.1 - possible? - Similar Threads - Restore W10 File

2. File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?: Greetings. I have a laptop with Windows 11 pro which was automatically upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I upgraded from Windows 10 Home. I bought an external hard drive for backups as my laptop is getting old. I am currently trying to get a backup of all my data that is on...
  3. Windows 10 backup and restore - File history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 backup and restore - File history: Does Microsoft still support Windows 10 Backup and Restore File History? I have read differing opinions on this? Is it being phased out? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-backup-and-restore-file-history/48ead602-8f04-49b3-9d8f-b8d056df5ebe
  4. Windows backup/restore and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows backup/restore and file history: I have a new (late December) Dell 5500, 512 GB SSD about half empty. I have File Explorer access to a 2TB NAS (WD Mybook Live) via home wifi network. I'm starting with win 10 native s/w. I'll research other popular programs (macrium etc) because multiple attempts using the...
  5. File History VS Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History VS Backup and Restore: Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive. 1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and...
  6. Backup and Restore Question for File History

Backup and Restore Question for File History: I have used File History for a number of years to backup my files. I can see it running and according to the program it operates successfully. For the heck of it I tried to restore a file, just to see if it would work. It ended up only finding a backup from July 2019, yet...
  7. File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?

File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?: I have the following problem / question: I use "Back up using File History" to backup all important files (documents, etc.) on my PC. I got 2 external drives. One of them I placed into the Safe Deposit Box at my local bank about a month ago (with the status as per that...
  8. Difference between File History and Backup and Restore

Difference between File History and Backup and Restore: I want a complete backup of my laptop. I want EVERY file to be backed up. Which option is better: File History OR Backup and Restore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-file-history-and-backup-and/eb00ff8f-d696-4e1a-8851-2326a88eeecd
  9. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...
  10. Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?: I'm currently out of the loop with a working W10 install and so wonder if this feature is included in W10. Its something I've only just started using in 8.1 and find it a terrific archive feature, even though I do daily image backups. Does 10 have this ? 6684

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to do back up and restore in w8

2. restore w8.1