Windows 10: Restore Windows 10 from a Windows Image Backup via USB

Discus and support Restore Windows 10 from a Windows Image Backup via USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good Afternoon Everyone! I literally spent four days, trying to find a solution to restoring a Windows 10 System Image in an attempt to resurrect my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PonchoMcGee, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Restore Windows 10 from a Windows Image Backup via USB

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I literally spent four days, trying to find a solution to restoring a Windows 10 System Image in an attempt to resurrect my Dell E5491 from a crash of the hard drive. After finding many posts on all types of sites I went old school and determined that I would just figure it out. Using diskpart, mountvol, and the numerous utilities available in command prompt I discovered a REAL solution to this problem. I hope that the below makes someone else's crusade to restore a backed up image of your PC in Windows 10.

* Restoring a system image via the Advanced Recovery tool launched from a USB via the Media Creation Tool.

No system image found while using a USB in the Restore System Image menu is a real pain. I went through a dozen different brands of drives including Kingston, PNY both 3.0 even using a USB 2.0 256MB drive from Kingston could not be found by Windows to restore my image. After a great many hours and bludgeoning my head against the desk I had nearly given up on the restore and would just rebuild the system from scratch. As I use this pc for business I have many files and settings that just do not get set back up in an hour. I am certain that many of you have had this similar situation. Hundred of web posts trying to sell me one brand of shadow software, and the numerous pages in the Microsoft Community and Microsoft Answers did me zero good.

* Solution

You will need a USB 2.0 to SATA cord / adapter. I used an ancient Apricorn adapter using USB 2.0. Once the 1TB 3.5 inch hard drive was connected to the pc I used windows disk management tool MY PC right click Manage to format NTFS and assign letter M to the drive. I do not think the drive letter matters. I copied the system image from my PNY 3.0 USB to the 1TB HDD. Once the data copy was complete I fired the pc back up and shut back down holding SHIFT while clicking on restart. Opened the Advanced recovery tool and by George there was my system image backup listed!! Upon choosing the image and date, Windows asked for my recovery CD/DVD. I have not seen a laptop come with a CD/DVD in years, so what to do? I restarted the pc with the Windows 10 start up USB, via the F12 one time startup menu. When Windows started I chose the repair option rather than a clean install. I launched Restore System Image from the Troubleshooting menu. Windows found the HDD again and this time there was no request to install my repair CD/DVD. I selected the image I had copied to the HDD and clicked on next. Miraculously the system began restoring. Two hours later the pc was fully restored and just the way it was last week!

* Side Note

I just cannot trust the Windows Utility for recovering my PC's anymore, and I believe Microsoft is going to kill it in the near future. It is a Windows 7 Utility after all. The process was a nightmare for me. Moving on to Acronis to back up and restore our Windows 10 machines moving forward. No this is not an endorsement or push for you to buy their software. I am also replacing the factory SSD Toshiba with a Crucial 2TB MX series drive. The Toshiba drive has been unreliable since I bought the PC directly from Dell in January of 2019. Both Dell hardware and Software technical support were pretty worthless for solving this issue, although they are some of the nicest people you will ever chat with. Microsoft wanted to charge me a minimum of $400.00 to provide support for Windows 10 so much for LTSC.

Anyway I hope that this information will make your restoring of a windows image much smoother than it was for me, at first! Good Luck Everyone!

:)

PonchoMcGee, Apr 22, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Restore Windows 10 from a Windows Image Backup via USB [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Jetster Win User
    windows 10 worth the upgrade?

I just tested Windows image back up in windows 10. They put the system imaging back into Windows after taking it out in Windows 8. Last month after I did a clean install I made an Image.
    Its a little hidden. After creating an image. To restore:
    Settings/update and security/recovery/restart now/advance/use image

It literally took 10 minutes to restore my system

To make an Image just use Backup and restore in the control panel it says (Windows 7)

Jetster, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Restore Windows 10 from a Windows Image Backup via USB

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

Restore Windows 10 from a Windows Image Backup via USB

1. Restore Windows 10 from a Windows Image Backup via USB - Similar Threads - Restore Image Backup

2. How to restore from a full image backup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to restore from a full image backup.: My aunt left me 12 discs with her computers backup on it including one system repair disc. She recently passed away and left me with no knowledge of how to access the contents of the discs. All I know is it was made with windows 10 and I have windows 10 but other than that I...
  3. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup: I have an old Dell pc with Windows 10including updates installed on it. I'm using the pc only to educate myself on different admin type processes like restoring, repairing, etc. I want to restore a Windows 10 from an Image File, among other processes, because I want to know...
  4. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup: I have an old Dell pc with Windows 10including updates installed on it. I'm using the pc only to educate myself on different admin type processes like restoring, repairing, etc. I want to restore a Windows 10 from an Image File, among other processes, because I want to know...
  5. Attempt to restore of a backup image of Windows 10 fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Attempt to restore of a backup image of Windows 10 fails: Hello,I'm trying to restore a backup of Windows 10 on an older laptop Lenovo E540, UEFI boot after replacing HDD of the laptop with an SSD 500GB Seagate replaced with a 500GB Samsung EVO SSD. My so far attempts to restore the backup by booting either from a Windows 10...
  6. Attempt to restore of a backup image of Windows 10 fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Attempt to restore of a backup image of Windows 10 fails: Hello,I'm trying to restore a backup of Windows 10 on an older laptop Lenovo E540, UEFI boot after replacing HDD of the laptop with an SSD 500GB Seagate replaced with a 500GB Samsung EVO SSD. My so far attempts to restore the backup by booting either from a Windows 10...
  7. Attempt to restore of a backup image of Windows 10 fails

8. Restoring from system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  9. Restore from Windows Image Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore from Windows Image Backup: I Created an image backup using Windows 10. I burned the repair CD. I booted from cd. Options are most recent backup [but it only shows D:\, the factory backup partition]. No browse capability. Other option does not let me browse to the folder the system created,...
  10. Windows 10 Image Backup/Restore BROKEN!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 Image Backup/Restore BROKEN!: All was well in Windows 7 until we upgraded to Windows 10. After the upgrade, I "CAN" back up to our Lenovo PX4-300d. However, image restores DO NOT WORK! I boot to the Windows 10 repair disk, chose troubleshooting, etc. I point to the network location, asks me to login, and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore back up windows 10