Windows 10: Restore Windows 10 from an image file fails--active partition on a drive

Discus and support Restore Windows 10 from an image file fails--active partition on a drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My newest computer that I built was running fine with Windows 10 on a 1TB M.2 SSD with Windows 10. It was updated. I loaded several simulator... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by starryskyne, May 18, 2021.

1. Restore Windows 10 from an image file fails--active partition on a drive

My newest computer that I built was running fine with Windows 10 on a 1TB M.2 SSD with Windows 10. It was updated. I loaded several simulator programs onto a SATA hard disk called E:, amounting to 1.75 TB of the 5TB space. I made an image file of the system using "Windows 10 backup Windows 7" onto a USB 250GB hard disk that took 40 hours to make. The option of doing only C: drive was grayed out, and the backup was of both the C: and the E: drive. It occupied 136GB of space. I assumed the image file was a good backup.Then trouble started

:)

starryskyne, May 18, 2021
  2. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, May 18, 2021
  3. Can I restore an SSD image to a normal hard drive disk

partition the files on the 500GB into two drives. so there will be two partitions, 150GB(OS and files) and 350GB(empty).

then clone the 150GB to the 240GB SSD

lyndonguitar, May 18, 2021
  4. Restore Windows 10 from an image file fails--active partition on a drive

[HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, May 18, 2021
Thema:

Restore Windows 10 from an image file fails--active partition on a drive

1. Restore Windows 10 from an image file fails--active partition on a drive - Similar Threads - Restore image file

2. Windows 10 system image restore failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 system image restore failed: I am in a bit of a pickle. After the latest failed attempt to upgrade my system from W10 to W11 I got a boot\BCD error. I have a recent system image but when I try to re-image using a W10 install USB I receive the error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The...
  3. Windows 10 system image restore failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 system image restore failed: I am in a bit of a pickle. After the latest failed attempt to upgrade my system from W10 to W11 I got a boot\BCD error. I have a recent system image but when I try to re-image using a W10 install USB I receive the error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The...
  4. Windows 10 system image restore failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Problem with Restore from Windows 10 Image File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Restore from Windows 10 Image File: I Win10 Pro and I need to restore from a system image backup I created in Dec 2021. I go through the advanced start-up, choose troubleshoot, advanced options, system image recovery.After rebooting, the process can't find the system image, It's stored in C:\WindowsImageBackup....
  6. Problem with Restore from Windows 10 Image File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Restore from Windows 10 Image File: I Win10 Pro and I need to restore from a system image backup I created in Dec 2021. I go through the advanced start-up, choose troubleshoot, advanced options, system image recovery.After rebooting, the process can't find the system image, It's stored in C:\WindowsImageBackup....
  7. Problem with Restore from Windows 10 Image File

8. Imaged partitioned Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Imaged partitioned Drive: I Acronised my Hard Drive (boot drive) which is 500 Gig to my SSD. Don't ask me why ASUS had it partitioned (as it does my second 500 Gig Drive). Here's what I see when I go to Windows Explorer. The SSD is obviously a clone of my HD, which SSD (C:\) is now showing 122 Gigs...
  9. Restoring Windows 10 system image to a different drive partition

Restoring Windows 10 system image to a different drive partition: Hi: I built a new desktop to get Windows 10 as my old hardware with Windows 7 was not upgradable. I have been able to install Windows 10Pro except that I am getting frequent disk errors ( system trying to clean up at boot time). I have another disk and a free partition. I...
  10. Partition and drive restore

Partition and drive restore: I need some help pretty bad here; at least this time I "only" did one stupid thing- Because of a problem with 10 a tech told me to revert to 10270. I backed up everything important to my D: drive first. I did a complete formatting of C:. Then upon installing 10270 onto C:...