Windows 10: Restore Windows 10 OS w/o deleting files and programs?

Discus and support Restore Windows 10 OS w/o deleting files and programs? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Windows 10 OS on my SSD main drive crapped out after installing a new Windows 10 update. Can no longer boot from this drive. Tried to reinstall the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BarrettKalellis, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Restore Windows 10 OS w/o deleting files and programs?

My Windows 10 OS on my SSD main drive crapped out after installing a new Windows 10 update. Can no longer boot from this drive. Tried to reinstall the OS from a Windows Install disk, but it will not permit me to do this, since the SSD is partitioned with an MBR. Is there a way to make the original SSD bootable, like transferring some files via a flash (USB) drive? But I don't want the original main drive erased or overwritten. Simply want to make it bootable again. The only way I have thought of saving everything is to copy the existing files on another computer, using an SSD to USB converter. Ideas would be most welcome.

:)

BarrettKalellis, Apr 20, 2019
  2. Tommygunn Win User

Partitioning Program Files/Program Files(x86) from Windows 10 install?

In the coming week I will be installing Windows 10 Home on my new computer. I will be using an SSD and an HDD, the SSD for the OS, programs and games and the HDD for photos, music and all the other slow stuff.
    So, my question. In case the OS were to ever get corrupted, or I had to reinstall the OS for any other reason, is it possible to have the SSD set up as follows; Partition 1 - OS, Partition 2 - Program Files/Program Files((x86) plus other associated folders/files) and Partition 3 for my games, so that any re-install does not wipe out my already installed programs?

I had no problem doing this in with my XP desktop(OS in C and Progs in D, although not perfect, but was never able to do it with Windows 7.

Can it be done?

Tom.

Tommygunn, Apr 20, 2019
  3. KBD
    KBD Win User
    Plz recomend program to recover deleted files.

Let me try what you guys suggested, i am willing to pay for the program to get the files back.

4. Ahhzz Win User

Restore Windows 10 OS w/o deleting files and programs?

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

Restore Windows 10 OS w/o deleting files and programs?

1. Restore Windows 10 OS w/o deleting files and programs? - Similar Threads - Restore deleting files

2. How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?: Recently, I had an HP system fail the windows 10 update KB5034441. This system was not using Bitlocker which seems to be the cause of KB5034441 being pushed out as an update. According to many "tips", such as this one, the install failure will prevent future updates from...
  3. W/o program, how to Windows 10 Search Fast (minutes not hours)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W/o program, how to Windows 10 Search Fast (minutes not hours): W/o program, how to deal with Windows 10 Search Slow AQS doc obsolete w/o notice cmd output to file but not as powerful? With CMD output to file, I can sometimes but not often, tolerate cmd-Search during off-work but more importantly, CMD is missing: 1.ez support for Unicode...
  4. Windows 10 is s ... l ... o ... w ...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is s ... l ... o ... w ...: I use my Windows 7 computer whenever possible, ie, not at work.To wait 15 minutes for the Windows 7 disk to grind thru files whenever I power on or wake from sleep is ridiculous.Looking at Linux and Mac....
  5. Windows 10 activation w/o internet

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 activation w/o internet: How do I activate win 10 without internet. Is there a phone number? I have the product key. Bought the PC from someone else, had to reset it. Don't have internet available. Thanks!...
  6. Clean w/o Install - Only OS to Remain

Clean w/o Install - Only OS to Remain: I have been asked to help, and am clueless. I've been given a working laptop and a tower to prepare for a yard sale and if not sold to donate to Salvation Army. It is desired to wipe the drives and leave only the OS. No way to find OS recovery discs so install not possible,...
  7. Is there a way to unlock files w/o another program?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to unlock files w/o another program?: Photoshop keeps generating undeletable debug.log's (only solution is rebooting which is not ideal) and many of the programs recommended do not seem to work on the latest Win10 build. Surely there's a way to do this natively? submitted by /u/Cinderbike [link] [comments]...
  8. deleting administrator account w/o having password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    deleting administrator account w/o having password: I need to delete the administrator account on my windows 10 system at work because she is no longer working here & no one knows her password to get into the administrator account & delete it & set up a new one. can anyone tell me how to get this accomplished? 134348
  9. deleting administrator account w/o having password

in Windows 10 Support
    deleting administrator account w/o having password: I need to delete the administrator account on my windows 10 system at work because she is no longer working here & no one knows her password to get into the administrator account & delete it & set up a new one. can anyone tell me how to get this accomplished? 134348
  10. Restore W-10 from W-8 MFG restore

Restore W-10 from W-8 MFG restore: Lenovo Yoga 13 that came with W-8 Had to do a restore to MFG, Windows 8. Can I download a W-10 iso and reinstall W-10??? Please Pretty please Desperate to get rid of 8. Also, have Insider Preview on other machine so I'm registered there. Figure if I can install the 10,...