Windows 10: Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD

Discus and support Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I try to restore a windows 7 image from an external HDD. The image was made just before migrating to W10. However, because the update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Michiel_1311, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD

Hello,

I try to restore a windows 7 image from an external HDD.

The image was made just before migrating to W10.

However, because the update deinstalled all programms I have to go back to W7 temporary to recover my Key for Office. allthough MS probably want me to buy a new one

However, when I try to restore the image, from settings windows running it finds the image, but ofcourse cant continue, because windows is running.

no surprise and logical

But when I try to restore, it doesn't find the image on my HDD?!?!?!

the drive is clearly visable during 'startup-selection'

I booth from CD....

Why is it always so complicated with Windows? : : : :

Somewhere on the internet i read that this can be caused by having 2 internal HD......

But I cant change that now, because both drives are included in the image.

according to the restore program, I'm quite sure I only included C:

What can I do?

Thanks and greetings,

Michiel

:)

Michiel_1311, Jan 17, 2020
  2. kg415 Win User

Windows 7 System Image Not Found on External USB HDD after Windows 10 Backup

I've been successfully saving and restoring Window 7 system images to/from an external USB HD for years. I've successfully restored these Win7 images using a system repair DVD.

Prior to installing Windows 10, I saved a system image to the external HD. After installing Win10, I saved a system image to this same HD.

Now Win10 is randomly freezing, so I wish to restore the latest Win7 image. If I attempt to do this from Win10 Repair, all the old Win7 images are listed, but if I attempt to restore one of these, Win10 Repair says it cannot restore a Win7 image.

When I attempt to restore using the Win7 repair DVD, it fails with the "System Image Not Found" message. The HD is accessible, since I can browse it from a command window. It appears that saving a Win10 image on this HD has broken Win7 system repair.

Any ideas about how to restore a Windows 7 system image in this situation?

kg415, Jan 17, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jan 17, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD

Windows 7 Image

Was going to post the same link *Smile Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD :) It's an awesome feature in Win 7, recommend it after intstall and device driver install, and before installing software and external drivers.

Hard to understand the question. You can save the image to another disk, then restore it using this proceedure:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7702/restoring-windows-7-from-an-image-backup/

Sasqui, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD

1. Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD - Similar Threads - Restore image external

2. Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD: Hello Experts, My laptop is currently running on Windows 11 22H2, installed on HDD. I would like to upgrade to SSD.Just to keep the process simple, I'm planning to...1. Take Windows OS image backup from HDD. 2. Install SSD drive.3. Restore the image backup to the new SSD...
  3. Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD: Hello Experts, My laptop is currently running on Windows 11 22H2, installed on HDD. I would like to upgrade to SSD.Just to keep the process simple, I'm planning to...1. Take Windows OS image backup from HDD. 2. Install SSD drive.3. Restore the image backup to the new SSD...
  4. Windows 10 Restore from External HDD after Crash.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Restore from External HDD after Crash.: Hi, I have experienced a strange and unfortunate issue with my Windows 10 computer recently. My computer crashed, resulting in a "No Bootable Device" screen and I had to restore the Windows 10 with an .ISO file. Which worked to bring it back to life, but with odd side...
  5. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  6. Restore System Image From External Hard Drive

Restore System Image From External Hard Drive: Ok, so here's the situation... I'll start out with the fact that I'm somewhat tech savvy. I'm 36, and have been working on computers since I was 6. I taught myself BASIC at 10. I'm no expert, but I'm not your average user. I normally search for my solutions on the internet,...
  7. Windows 10 on external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 on external USB HDD: is it possible to put windows 10 on an external USB HDD? if so, how? if not, bummer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-on-external-usb-hdd/9c115056-c5dc-4836-b9c8-0b604f83159a
  8. Windows restore backup image file (from another computer + is on a usb device // TO 2nd HDD)

Windows restore backup image file (from another computer + is on a usb device // TO 2nd HDD): Hi there I am having trouble here. My dad's computer's disk drive has been on the fritz so he brought it over, and I made a system drive image file backup using the "windows 7" tool in the backup section (he has windows 10). The problem is so severe that most times his...
  9. Trying to restore from an external image.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trying to restore from an external image.: so i just got a new bigger nvme for my razer 15 inch and i made an image of the old drive, but when i use my windows install media on a usb to restore, it says i have to make a windows indtalation disc or system repair disk and then boot from it, but i already have. This...
  10. Restoring HDD image to SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring HDD image to SSD: I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management,...