Windows 10: Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password

Discus and support Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; How do I recover my lost System Password, please so that I can restore Windows 10 from WindowsImageBackup? 151690 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Arismac, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Arismac Win User

Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password

How do I recover my lost System Password, please so that I can restore Windows 10 from WindowsImageBackup?

:)

Arismac, Mar 5, 2020
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

AndreTen - I have tried Disk Cleanup but unfortunately the problem entries did not go away.
    I feel certain Bree (VIP Member) has identified the correct cause of this problem as above and his adviced solution should also do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Bree - Thank you. I must admit that I did use 'Create system image' a few times in 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' instead of 'Backup now' and these ghost entries relate to those actions. You have rightly identified the cause of this issue.
    It is crazy that Microsoft has put two different backup options causing the issue of these ghost restore points.

Regarding your advice on how to rectify the issue - I must add that I am not very computer savvy and feel reluctant to use Diskpart utility etc to delete 'WindowsImageBackup\SPPMetadataCache' and 'WindowsImageBackup\Catalog folders' from within 'System Volume Information' folder with command Prompt as I fear damaging the pc by making any mistakes, as I have never done this before.

Please advice if there may be another simpler method to delete the above folders OR if you are able and have time to post a step by step instructions (with pictures if possible) on how to follow your advice. Much appreciated.

jellyroll, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Restore System Image

You will never be offered the option - Windows is not flexible when it comes to system images.

I assume that you store your images in a separate group of folders from which to pick one to restore from. I do the same.

• As long as we always move the entire WindowsImageBackup folder each time then there should never be any problems.
    • All you need to do is complete your storage procedure by moving your latest WindowsImageBackup folder out of the root into a separate folder and then you can move your chosen WindowsImageBackup folder from your "library" back into the root.
    • It is always the image in WindowsImageBackup that will be offered for restoration even though it is not the latest one.

There is no alternative to this for Windows images unless you decide to simply add to the same image every time in WindowsImageBackup.

• By doing this, Windows will add whatever has changed since the last image so image making is also speeded up.
    • Windows would then ask you which date of image you wanted to restore from.
    • The problem with this approach is that Windows decides which bits of previous images to clean out of WindowsImageBackup [using rules that are not published] so you might wish to restore a particular one but it will not be offered to you if Windows has not
      kept it intact.

Denis

Tryx3, Mar 5, 2020
  4. janey6 Win User

Restore from WindowsImageBackup

Sorry - been getting a bit confused of late!

- - - Updated - - -

I have now copied the largest file to my external drive and looked at the Disk Management. I don't see how to mount it. Sorry I must seem very dim but I've got lost!

Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password [​IMG]

janey6, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password - Similar Threads - Restore WindowsImageBackup lost

2. Password with system restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Password with system restore: I’m trying to use the restore point and everytime I click on the button, it asks which account I’m gonna use, and then the passsword. I first thought it was computer password. But it isn’t. Then I tried my Microsoft account, then Google. But I can’t seem to log in. It’s not...
  3. Password with system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password with system restore: I’m trying to use the restore point and everytime I click on the button, it asks which account I’m gonna use, and then the passsword. I first thought it was computer password. But it isn’t. Then I tried my Microsoft account, then Google. But I can’t seem to log in. It’s not...
  4. Password with system restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WindowsImageBackup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsImageBackup: I made a WindowsImageBackup of a new computer on a 128GB memory stick. I wanted to be sure that it was ok, so I tried to look into the files. I kept getting messages about files being corrupted. So, in a Command Prompt, I went into the relevant folder and there were two...
  6. Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' <windowsimagebackup>.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' <windowsimagebackup>.: Hello everyone- Having a problem restoring a Win10 "backup and restore" save. W10 won't see it, and I think possibly there are some files missing. I'm super frustrated and hopefully someone here can help! Thanks in advance! Basic details: Lenovo 720s Laptop Win 10 Home I...
  7. System Restore Password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Password: I bought this laptop thru eBay. The seller got the password from the previous owner & gave it to me. I'm trying to do a system restore back to a previous point and it's asking for a password. I'm using this password he gave me & it says wrong password. What do I do now?...
  8. Restore from WindowsImageBackup

Restore from WindowsImageBackup: We have an iMac but I decided to use Bootcamp to partition to the hard drive as I really don't get on with Mac! Recently, I removed Bootcamp to increase the size of the partition. I have done this satisfactorily and have reinstalled Windows 10 on the Bootcamp partition....
  9. Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup: Hello, I am trying to restore a WindowsImageBackup file that I had created before sending my laptop in to HP for repairs. I am running Windows 10 and the backup was created using Windows 10 as well on my external Seagate FreeAgent Go hard drive. I have tried restoring from...
  10. Trouble Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Trouble Restoring from WindowsImageBackup: My client's Win10 Pro computer died. Got a new Win10 Home Asus laptop. Trying to restore files from a WindowsSystemImage folder on his backup drive, but the Advanced Recovery tool doesn't recognize the external drive containing the ImageBackup folder. When I attempt to mount...