Windows 10: Restored image will not boot

Discus and support Restored image will not boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Having a really weird and annoying problem. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and my boot device is a Samsung Pro 950 512GB M.2 NVME SSD. It's been running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DigitalMan2112, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Restored image will not boot

Having a really weird and annoying problem. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and my boot device is a Samsung Pro 950 512GB M.2 NVME SSD. It's been running great through many Windows 10 upgrades. I'm currently running the latest 1903 version. I'm starting to run out of room on the C drive so I purchased a new Samsung Pro 970 1TB M.2 NVME SSD. No matter what I try I cannot seem to get a clone or restored image of my boot drive to work. Every time it boots it gets the spinning circles for about a minute and then the circles freeze and nothing happens or sometimes it reboots and does same thing. Sometimes it's the windows logo above the spinning circles and sometimes it's still the ASUS logo. Disabling fast boot was able to see the message, "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed".

Restored image will not boot 3589252b-3d04-4f90-af9f-764b34674bf5?upload=true.jpg

Here's what I've tried so far.

1) Used Easeus Todo Backup to clone my disk 0 to the new drive via USB 3.1 NVME enclousre while booted up. Then swapped out the drives.

2) Used Easeus Todo Backup to first image the disk 0 drive to an image file, then swapped out the drives and used the easeus recovery disk to boot and restore the image to the new drive.

3) Used Windows Backup and Restore to create an image then after swapping drives used the Windows recovery CD to boot and then restore to the new drive.

4) Tried swapping drives and installing Windows 10 to the new drive and after installing Windows 10 on the new drive, booting from windows rescue CD and restoring the windows image file.

All of these resuled in the same issue.

I also verified that the partition structure is the same on original and restored drives. The restored drive of course has extra unallocated space.

Running the windows troubleshooting console I tried using the bootrec commands.

bootrec /fixboot would give "access denied" even though I was in administrator console.

bootrec /scanos would show it only recognized \windows.old as an installation. I could see all the files on the drive and the normal \windows folder was there.

I would really like to avoid re-installing Windows as I have so many applications and configuration setups.

My goal is to be able to restore to the larger drive and then expand the C partition to use the larger drive once it boots. And also to have peace of mind that taking the time to image my C drive is worth it in that I can actually restore it if anything ever went wrong in the future.

:)

DigitalMan2112, Jun 15, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Restored image will not boot [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jun 15, 2019
  3. fdegrove Win User
    System Image Problem

Hi Nick,

No need to stress.
    Since the dl of the windows install media failed twice in a row already we are going to do as Bill suggests.
    No use wasting another day on it at this point.

Here is a description of the steps to follow:

- Connect the external drive that contains the Macrium images we made.

-Boot off of the Macrium rescue CD. Make the necessary changes in bios so booting from CD is the highest on the boot order priority list or use the machine's bootmenu (Fn key ? ) to select to boot off of CD.

- From within Macrium select restore. Browse for image 0_SysRes etc. and load it in Macrium.

- Select the drive to restore to: your c: drive. Make sure it is the correct drive. Only one internal drive should be connected at this point.

-Drag and drop the loaded backup image to the beginning of the C:\ partition. It must be fully at the left of the partition.

- Click restore and confirm.

- Once it has finished close Macrium. It will automatically reboot.

-Boot again off of the CD.

-Macrium loads and select restore again.

-Browse for and select 1_Windows from the backup drive. Select the same destination drive and drag and drop it right next to the small partition we just restored. Click restore, confirm the overwrite and let it finish.

-Again close Macrium and reboot once more off of the cd.

-In Macrium on the top left hand side there a menu option that reads something along these lines (I'll load it in a few minutes to verify and correct if necessary) : "Fix Windows boot problems".
    Click it.

-Let it finish and reboot off the main hard drive this time.

- Cross your fingers and hopefully Windows will start up.

I suggest not doing this immediately. I hope Bill will have a look at the suggested steps and correct any if need be.

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 15, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Restored image will not boot

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 15, 2019
Thema:

Restored image will not boot

1. Restored image will not boot - Similar Threads - Restored image boot

2. System image fails to restore image.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System image fails to restore image.: I am trying to restore a system image on my computer but I cannot understand why it keeps failing. Previously I had no problems in restoring a system image. The following error message is displayed instead: “The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  3. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  4. Windows restore from image won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows restore from image won't boot: I have tried to restore my PC running Windows 10H2 from an image made through windows backup. After the restore the pc won't boot. It just does an automatic repair an fails. It fails to boot into safe mode and I can the only get to the recovery console. I have tried...
  5. Boot same desktop from imported image -- Boot from restored image rather than initial...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot same desktop from imported image -- Boot from restored image rather than initial...: A nice feature of Mac is that you can import a previous machine image into a new box and everything migrates over, mimicking the same boot and user experience of the previous machine. Is that possible in Win 10? I purchased a new Win 10 machine and it came with Windows...
  6. Restore Point or Restore from Image?

Restore Point or Restore from Image?: Hello r/windows10 , hope you're all well. I had some issues that were finally resolved with a USB Recovery Drive. I have my computer all set up back to the way I had it before I had those issues. All is good now. What I would like to do is prevent myself from having to start...
  7. Config UEFI to offer win10x64 or image restore at boot

Config UEFI to offer win10x64 or image restore at boot: Here's the best case scenario: User with this pc will boot to win10. When it's screwed or needs to get unscrewed, they just restore using a 2nd partition with a "insert your favorite image creator" image on it. (At this point I'm not partial to any certain app to do this....
  8. System Image not Restoring.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image not Restoring.: Hi guys, so i reset my Toshiba laptop to its original factory settings and it came with windows 10 home. Then i had to clean install the windows on my laptop again because i was having some trouble with the touchpad drivers, so i wiped C. drive fully and installed window 10...
  9. system restore and imaging.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    system restore and imaging.: Hello I have a one T external drive I image to and it recently showed that 2 - 23 or 30 GB images were filling the drive. A friend, using Treesize, explained that this is due to the restore points taking up space. I changed the scale from 2% to 1 and then created one point....
  10. Image restore to different hard disk doesn't boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Image restore to different hard disk doesn't boot.: I've been swapping out Windows 10 and Windows 7 on my desktop using Macrium Reflect (free version) image backups and restores to the same disk for more than a year without any problem. However, today I restored the last saved Windows 10 backup image to a newly acquired disk...